gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 07:31 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Some help please.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Some help please.  (Read 1497 times)

NYSoul

Some help please.
« on: July 10, 2006, 04:39 PM »
Am wondering if anyone on here knows these people. They were all around the north west in the late eighties. I used to work at Split Skates in Manchester with some of them and Ride Bury sports center with them.

Chris Hamer
Harry (cant remember his last name but he had a chrome trickstar, last thing i knew he moved to Hastings)
Stuart MaCrae
Jim (cant remember his last name either but he was from Crewe)
Mike Marley

I know that aint much to go on, its bad i can remember what bikes people had but not thier names ;)

Preston Pirate

Re: Some help please.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 05:03 PM »
I don't recall any of their names, but I do recall Split Skates, one of the best skate shops in the UK at the time. I was into skateboarding at the time and used to make the trip from Preston to the Goshen Sports Centre in Bury most weekends.

NYSoul

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 06:06 PM »
Was a great shop. I remember it when it sold more leather clothes than skate and bike and had a hairdressers right at the back.
That place in Bury was amazing, used to be packed with skaters with about 20 of us on bikes over on the 2 quater pipes. I lived 15 miles south of Manchester at the time so it was a 30 mile trip for us, we used to have to get the last train back to Manchester at the end of the night and then have about 5 minutes to get to Picadilly for the last train back to Cheshire, if we missed the train (and we did every other week) we used to have to ride it.
I have only just got back in to bikes and my memory (just like my bottle) has gone, Zach Shaw used to knock about with Chris and i know he is still about, Si Tabron used to be in Bury a lot, some kid called Cameron and one of his mates who had a gold plated mongoose decade.

ust wondering what happened to everyone

Jamie C

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 06:23 PM »
Chris Hamer had an interview in Ride a while back (done by Dave Beveridge).  I spoke to him a couple of years ago and he was all into travelling to euro cities and riding whatever street he could find.  Harry was with Chris helping out with judging at various events -  I think they did the Urban Games and watnot until fairly recently.

Can't remember the last time I saw Jim (Tomlinson).  It wasn't all that long ago.  He'd had his legs sorted out and was happily married with kids as well (I think).  He was pretty much running a Mercedes dealership or something like.  He had some old school photos features in the (now deceased) BMX rider magazine a while back.

Never heard of the other two.  Steff Evans was mates with Chris and Harry.

NYSoul

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 10:48 PM »
Thanks for that Jamie. Nice to know they are all OK. Somewhere at my old mans is a 3 hour video from about 88ish (whatever year the Tizer comp was in Manchester as there is some of that at the start of the tape). It was shot on the streets of Crewe and the skatepark in Rhyll and has some great footage of Harry, Chris and Jim on it. Next time I go up north i will dig it out and get some of it posted on here.
I have remembered some more people to, a lad called Al who used to have some illness that made him shake and a kid called John Wood (I think), was from Poynton in Cheshire.

Could do with some more help if anyone can. I am going to try and put together the last bike i had, was a green Gt Pro World Tour, I have been looking at all the pictures on various site and have seen a lot of GT's but mine had a 3 peice crank that came with the bike (I got it new and had it shipped from the states). The crank was massive, really fat and had GT stamped in it. I have not seen any of the bikes in the pictures with one on.
I also took the white six spoke GT wheels off and put Super Pro 48s on it, I went to look at some super pros on ebay a few weeks ago and they did not look the same, did they change the design at any point? and one last thing, I had chrome Dyno bars on it, I have just got some sent from the states they were supposed to be NOS, is anyone copying these as I remember the chrome being a lot better quality.

christhejob

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 11:07 PM »
Harry's opening the city centre skatepark in manchester.  and runs heaton skate supplies shop on ebay.  chris is cycle courier in manchester.  we're off judging the bmxmasters together in cologne next week (at least harry def is, maybe chris too)   al "shakey" blakey is who you are thinking of, and it's john hall from poynton.
al is still in hastings as far as i know.   jim thomlinson is fine, saw him a month ago, married to kate, 2 kids eddie and harry, still working for crewe engines.
alles klar?

Jamie C

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 03:29 PM »
I'm not too anorak on old school bike parts but it sounds like GT Power Series cranks that you're talking about.  They'd be rare as hens teeth I should imagine because they actually worked really well - hence Primo made the Power Bite which took the idea on a bit further.

Super Pro rims were made my Ukai and you can still get them new under a different name.  I don't remember the super pro wheel set changing at any point but some complete Haro's came with a version of Super Pro's that didn't come with the same sealed hubs.

The chrome probably just dulled on your bars.......if they're nearly 20 years old.

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 04:36 PM »
Say hi to Skankin' Jim for me, if he remembers Evolution Wayne from those early 90s Southsea KOC days. I think I first met him at an Alfreton or Ripley comp long before that, pretty sure it was him that wore the first & only Dyno jacket I've ever seen! Top bunch of blokes.
Was Graham Critch amongst that crowd?

christhejob

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 07:54 PM »
Yup, critch was with them too, he's in chicago now, got married to one of my friends i met in the US at university, you know, eyes met ina dodgy wolverhampton nightclub.
i'll say hi to jim when i see him next. 
beware the ratcatcher though guys!

DJ

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 08:24 PM »
Ahhhhh Mr Hamer....possibly the best attitude to BMX in the world eh Job?
Masters is gonna be a rockin! Got a phone yet werewolf??

christhejob

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 09:06 PM »
yup. same number!  check my other items!

DJ

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 06:55 PM »
Ahhhhh...erased original number!! re-send Mr Wolf....

daze

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 11:32 PM »
was with harry, chris and john hall on friday at the new park.

ride with john every week.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Some help please.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx