gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 20, 2024, 12:06 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Advice: What Purple Bike for my 10 year old?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Advice: What Purple Bike for my 10 year old?  (Read 2149 times)

Offline ruff n tuff

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Advice: What Purple Bike for my 10 year old?
« on: September 30, 2012, 01:24 PM »
OK.... I was going to take an old MT Silverfox frame and forks and strip it and make it purple but this is likely to cost a lot with all the parts so, I was considering a new bike, so any suggestions on a purple BMX for around £200.  I would prefer something not too heavy for my little girl!

Any advice gratefully received as I know nothing about today's BMXs  ::)

Cheers

Das

griff

Re: Advice: What Purple Bike for my 10 year old?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 01:26 PM »
Please don't do that to a silver fox  :'(

Offline ruff n tuff

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 01:28 PM »
Please don't do that to a silver fox  :'(

I have to say that it is not a happy fox!  Very unloved and will need a powder or ride as a rat.

deeman

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 02:28 PM »
This wouldn't be a bad start,Have a word with Stodgy at the radd shop,he may be able to get you one of these. :daumenhoch:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MONGOOSE-PROGRAM-20-WHEEL-DIRT-STREET-BMX-BIKE-MATT-PURPLE-BMX-2012-RRP-250-/251109027588?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3a7743af04

deeman

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 04:17 PM »
Like most things,you get what you pay for!The FELT complete would probably be the lightest as it has chromoly top and down tubes(lighter than hi-ten steel)kinda depends a little on how old your daughter is and how serious she is about bmxing!if she just wants a bike to ride around like most kids it doesn't matter so much,but if she actually wants to do tricks or jump it would definitely be better to go for a more expensive and lighter frame.Full chromoly would be better but would up the budget a bit.Are you sure you are not gonna be riding it too??!! :daumenhoch:

Offline ruff n tuff

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 04:34 PM »
Like most things,you get what you pay for!The FELT complete would probably be the lightest as it has chromoly top and down tubes(lighter than hi-ten steel)kinda depends a little on how old your daughter is and how serious she is about bmxing!if she just wants a bike to ride around like most kids it doesn't matter so much,but if she actually wants to do tricks or jump it would definitely be better to go for a more expensive and lighter frame.Full chromoly would be better but would up the budget a bit.Are you sure you are not gonna be riding it too??!! :daumenhoch:

Ok.. a distinct possibility!

She is 10 and only wants a BMX as I have almost finished a 1980's Kuwahara Mini for my 8 year old Son...  I left it so long that is too small for her to ride too!

She won't care what it is as long as it is purple.

However... if I am allowed to have a go...  ::)

deeman

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 04:46 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol: o.k it's not so important then.Still there is nothing worse than a heavy bike no matter what you are doing.My first BMX was a heavy taiwanese steel freestyler,it was so heavy i couldnt do anything on it,couldn't even wheelie!I'd give Stodgy a ring at the radshop to see what he has available,he is very helpful and knowledgable and should be able to help you out even if you do not live close.Then build the FOX up for yourself and go and tear it up with the kids!! :daumenhoch:

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 04:51 PM »
Some of those bikes will be way too big for an average 10 year old. Only those with a small/compact frame would be up to the job. A lot of 10-11 year olds ride 18" wheel BMXs but some of the bigger kids are moving on to 20" wheel bikes by that age.

Offline ruff n tuff

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 05:39 PM »
Some of those bikes will be way too big for an average 10 year old. Only those with a small/compact frame would be up to the job. A lot of 10-11 year olds ride 18" wheel BMXs but some of the bigger kids are moving on to 20" wheel bikes by that age.

I have just put some wheels on the silverfox frame plus a seat and handlebars.  she seems to sit ok on this set-up (with the seat on its lowest height) The top tube measures 19.5 inches from the centre of the head tube to the centre of the seatpost.

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 05:54 PM »

I have just put some wheels on the silverfox frame plus a seat and handlebars.  she seems to sit ok on this set-up (with the seat on its lowest height) The top tube measures 19.5 inches from the centre of the head tube to the centre of the seatpost.

Aye, that size frame is probably about right, I think the SE Bronco has a smallish frame also.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Advice: What Purple Bike for my 10 year old?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx