gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 05:52 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Just starting I think :)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Just starting I think :)  (Read 1045 times)

misterminibus

Just starting I think :)
« on: September 18, 2012, 04:53 PM »
Hi Guys,

This wasnt an intentional purchase but I have bought a Falcon Razor which is a mid 90's bike I think, any info would be great.
I have just strarted playing with it, I am  afraid i'm responsible for the red tyres and mushroom grips, it needs a back wheel which I think rick70 has sorted for me, its got a 5 cog unit on the new wheel tho, can this be exchanged for the single cog does anyone know?

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 05:49 PM by misterminibus »

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
Re: Just starting I think :)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 06:09 PM »
I'm assuming your description of a 5 cog wheel you mean a cassette freewheel?
If it is a screw on type you maybe able to fit a single screw on freewheel. And if it's a spline type one you also maybe able to fit a single cog with some spacers.
The problem you may have will be the hub width. Ie will it fit your dropouts. And the offset of the rim against the hub.
As most of these type of wheel have the rim off centre to the hub to make up for the amount of space the cogs take. Or you will have a really wide rear end.  :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 06:39 PM »
Or do you mean it's got 5 cogs on the bad cos it came off a bike with derailleur gears?

Stu can you offer any advice on coping with a really wide rear end?

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 06:41 PM »
You cheeky Cnut griff!!!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 08:02 PM »
if the sprocket doesnt trade over Daz theres a possibility we could relace your rear hub to orphan rim, provided its the same amount of spokes ,just a thort  :daumenhoch:

Offline Robbo

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 08:08 PM »

deeman

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 10:19 PM »
Or do you mean it's got 5 cogs on the bad cos it came off a bike with derailleur gears?

Stu can you offer any advice on coping with a really wide rear end?

:LolLolLolLol:

misterminibus

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 07:30 AM »
Sorry I didnt explain it very well, yes its from a mountain bike with 5 gears so I am hoping to take the 5 cogs off and replace with the one cog thats on the bent wheel.
Thanx rich that may be an option, I will try and see if I can gently persuade the 5 cogs off with a lump hammer and bolster first lol

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Just starting I think :)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx