gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 08:41 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Stuck Seatpost - Help Please
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Stuck Seatpost - Help Please  (Read 848 times)

greentoad

Stuck Seatpost - Help Please
« on: July 07, 2006, 08:36 PM »
Hi all

The bike has been totally stripped and has been wiped over and washed. It just needs a good polish and a few bits and it will be back as a survivor.

There is one problem though -

I have sprayed it with WD, used fuel, have heated it lightly with a gun, tightened a stem to it and still it will not budge.

It is a steel post and the make is unknown. It would be a shame to damage it, if it is a rare item, however it must come out. The only option I think left is to cut it off and then use a saw blade inside and cut a grove so it falls apart.

I really don't want to damage the frame so any ideas?

Thanks

PS - if anyone has a 85 Sport or Master that is complete but untidy (but will make a good rider) for about £250 can they let me know.

;)

J.

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Stuck Seatpost - Help Please
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 08:52 PM »
you could try putting in a vice and twisting frame this sometime works,i got one out the otherday by heating frame gently with oxy accetalene then doing above if all else fails you will have to drill it out,not a nice job the last one i did took a couple of hours >:(
British race frames and race clothing wanted

weston

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 09:05 PM »
over the years the metal bonds (a bit like welding), this is a real problem, if your not interested in the post try hammering it down to loosen the rust, drill a hole through it & put a rod through the hole & try twisting it out

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 09:24 PM »
i've got the same problem with a shimano dx aluminium seatpost stuck in my Nora cup G.T frame.

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 06:33 PM »
yep....hit it down slightly first, crack the bond so to speak....then crush the end in a vice and twist it out using the frame as a lever.....fook the seat post, its a seat post....you want the frame, a seat post is easily obtainable

Dave
haro, how do you do

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 10:26 PM »
i've got the same problem with a shimano dx aluminium seatpost stuck in my Nora cup G.T frame.

caustic soda

yep....hit it down slightly first, crack the bond so to speak....then crush the end in a vice and twist it out using the frame as a lever.....fook the seat post, its a seat post....you want the frame, a seat post is easily obtainable

Dave

try that but beleive me...seat posts can become an integral part of the frame.

sometimes u can only drill...
I want to touch ORB

othomas2

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 12:21 AM »
much better than WD40 I've heard

[/quote]

theRuler

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 02:13 PM »
try the vice method first

it will come out

gmac

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 04:25 PM »
Let me know if you wanna sell that frame Jem  ;)

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 05:43 PM »
plus gas is what i use as wd40 is only good for basic stuff , also banging it down a bit after plus gassing
no1stuntmaster on instagram

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 01:25 AM »

Dave

this is the way, just make sure that you don't trash the bottom of your frame and forks during the bashing.
ding dong

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Stuck Seatpost - Help Please

gfxgfx
gfx gfx