gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975632 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 30, 2024, 02:49 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Pegs
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Pegs  (Read 868 times)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Pegs
« on: February 04, 2013, 07:15 AM »
Just wondered at the weekend, who was the first rider to use them for grinds instead of standing on? and when?

I've put this in here as i thought it must've been around 88/89/90 ish  ???

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
Re: Pegs
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 08:32 AM »
hoffman was one of the first to do handrails back in 1990, no idea about on ramps though

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 08:35 AM »
i had my suspicions it might have been Matt but wasn't sure  :daumenhoch:

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 09:11 AM »
I'm sure I remember something about Craig Campbell being credited with doing Them First on ramps, by accident  :LolLolLolLol:
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

Offline egg

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 08:13 PM »
steve swope was the first to grind a vert ramp i think?

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 09:59 PM »
From an interview with Mat :

“There are so many contributions the UK has made to BMX. In the ’80s all media was in America and the influence was from America because of that. America overshadowed a lot of the great progression coming out of England in those times. There were so many great riders in England, the likes of Craig Campbell and Mike Canning. Craig did the first wall ride, or he was in that first group of riders experimenting doing wallrides and then Voelker put the spot light on it at the KOV king of streets contest. I also remember Craig go up and just axle stall a ramp at the 87’ Tizer world cup and then just drop back in. Nobody thought about doing that and he did it. I saw that, went home and started doing it on the ramp with pegs. Then Steve [Swope] started seeing that and started figuring out how to grind and move doing it. I then started to do toothpicks and icepicks, and just balancing playing around on the pegs, doing feebles and smiths. But all that progression came from watching Craig Campbell go up and land on his axles. He might not exactly invented all that but the influence came from England, and the wall rides came from England.”

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 10:05 PM »
There's a section in Mat's book in which He lists the tricks He invented & in the lip trick part He writes :

"The First bike rider doing skateboarding style lip tricks was Craig Campbell. He did a double peg stall. Steve Swope took that idea and started doing peg grinds. I learned alley oop peg grinds. Suddenly a door opened".

I can remember seeing riders like Lee Reynolds, Greg Guillotte & Scott Carroll etc all of a sudden bust out a stall or small grind around the same time, but can't really remember when it was, sometime in 87?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 08:40 AM »
Nice one, thanks for that  :daumenhoch:

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 09:25 AM »
Thinking about it, disasters had been done for some time at that point as well, just called something else. Also Smith stall to 270 back in, Nosepicks etc. So maybe Hoffman was right about most of the media being US based thus giving a twisted view of progression.
There was also a lot of the 'new wave' of Flatland done in the UK before some of the US riders claimed it  :daumenhoch: 

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Pegs

gfxgfx
gfx gfx