gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 11:51 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Powder coating over chrome?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Powder coating over chrome?  (Read 974 times)

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Powder coating over chrome?
« on: August 26, 2012, 09:10 PM »
Hi guys,

I picked up a 96 Haro Zippo in chrome the other day, completely original but in need of a major clean etc.  However, when cleaning it up....i turned it upside down to find that an area of chrome is missing about the size of a 50p on the downtube due to flaking.  My goal for this little number is to create a retro Master replica and originally i wanted to keep the entire bike chrome.  Now im leaning more towards the powder coating option due to the missing chrome, rather than suffer the heavy expense of re-chroming :(

So....my question is.....can the frame be powder coated over the top of the existing chrome?  If i chose this option i would only want it powdered from the front, going just past the seat post?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Powder coating over chrome?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 07:50 AM »
yes it could, though the powder may scratch off easily....   ;)
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 12:21 PM »
yes it could, though the powder may scratch off easily....   ;)

I was thinking a similar thing :( ....maybe it would be best to have it all blasted and powdered then if that is the case.....doh!!

deeman

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 08:48 PM »
It would be possible to do it,although the proper way would be to strip the chrome off first before powder,I had a Redline RL-20 powdered over chrome a while back,unfortunately I never got to ride it so can't report on chipping etc,but the powdercoater told me it wouldn't stick as well as if it were bare metal and that he wouldn't guarantee it.It looked fantastic though and seemed to be on there solid enough.If you did this you could keep the rear end chrome :daumenhoch:

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 09:17 PM »
It would be possible to do it,although the proper way would be to strip the chrome off first before powder,I had a Redline RL-20 powdered over chrome a while back,unfortunately I never got to ride it so can't report on chipping etc,but the powdercoater told me it wouldn't stick as well as if it were bare metal and that he wouldn't guarantee it.It looked fantastic though and seemed to be on there solid enough.If you did this you could keep the rear end chrome :daumenhoch:

Having spent some time on the frame today it turns out that there is some slight pitting on the chrome at the rear :( ....i dont think it would stand the test of time if i left it so im certain now that my best option would be to have all the chrome stripped and then powder the whole frame.  At least then i can be sure it will be 100%.  Cheers for the advice though dude :)

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 08:04 PM »
as long as the chrome is keyed properly the powder will be fine  :daumenhoch:

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 06:02 PM »
Just get it media blasted or emery cloth the whole frame  ;) Ask SBD he will know the best  :daumenhoch: My latest MRD Pro was media blasted so I emery clothed it aswell and Dan painted over it with brilliant results  :4_17_5:

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 05:24 PM »
how did haro paint their chromed frames? they seemed to be quite durable and after a couple of years when it did get tatty you could strip it and have a nice chrome frame.

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 07:51 AM »
how did haro paint their chromed frames? they seemed to be quite durable and after a couple of years when it did get tatty you could strip it and have a nice chrome frame.

That was the original look i was going for....semi paint...semi chrome, but after cleaning it up ive got a bit of flaking chrome so its all going to have to come off and get powdered....doh!!  Cheers for your advice though lads :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Powder coating over chrome?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx