gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 03:10 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Crank and headstock bearing race removal how?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Crank and headstock bearing race removal how?  (Read 554 times)

tophat

Crank and headstock bearing race removal how?
« on: August 22, 2012, 09:55 PM »
Guys

My frame is going to the sand blasters so I have stripped it down ready but I cant remove the bearing race for the crank and the forks? I have heated the outer up a little but they still wont move?

Im talking about the thing the bearing sits in before you tighten everything up at the crank and the head stock.

am I right in saying these need to come out before sand blasting and painting etc? im sure they would if I was having it chromed so how do you get them out?

Cheers

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: Crank and headstock bearing race removal how?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 01:36 PM »
Hit them from behind with screwdriver / hammer combo , or take them to a local bike shop and they will press them out

Offline MaD-RoK

• Flip-Whip
  • I think my eyeball is allergic to sperm.
    • +100km BMX Marathon. Donate here....
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 01:46 PM »
Couple of whacks around the clock with a screwdriver and hammer as said. BE CAREFUL not to do it near glass coffee tables, animals or old age pensioners as they sometimes ping out. Happy banging.  :daumenhoch:

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 01:49 PM »
Rather than use a screwdriver I use an old seat post for the bb cups as it spreads the impact over more of the cup and won't stick in your leg after it shoots through cup when it's slipped off it. :LolLolLolLol:
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

tophat

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 09:05 PM »
Cheers guys. Thea bit more heat and the screwdriver worked in the end.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Crank and headstock bearing race removal how?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx