gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 09:06 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Crown race installation
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Crown race installation  (Read 2921 times)

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
Crown race installation
« on: August 20, 2012, 01:21 PM »
Ive got a stubborn one & my conventional method of hammer & screwdriver will not suffice... >:(

Yes I know I should get the correct tool but does anyone have suggestions please...?

mattuknc

Re: Crown race installation
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 01:25 PM »
A screwdriver to get it in?? Or is this to remove?
I use the long threaded bolt and plastic plates to squeeze them in and a hammer and long drift to remove.
You could try a vice? Miami style??  :daumenhoch:

ozone

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 01:32 PM »
A screwdriver to get it in?? Or is this to remove?
I use the long threaded bolt and plastic plates to squeeze them in and a hammer and long drift to remove.
You could try a vice? Miami style??  :daumenhoch:

He's on about the crown race, not the cups.  A length of tubing/Scaffy bar and a hammer is usually a winner.  Removing excess powder and paint from the area also helps.   :daumenhoch:

mattuknc

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 01:46 PM »
Ah yes, that reminds me of school. RTFQ.  ::)
I still use a drift to fit mine, working round slowly.

Offline not johndub71

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 09:16 AM »
Crown race in a bike shop was a weighted tube that slid up and down the steerer in a similar action to a slide hammer. Other method is a good flat blade screw driver and a hammer and some patience. Get it started tapping at 0 and 180' then every 90 and 45 to get it home. I suppose you could put the crown on and put the forks upside down in a vice with the crown resting on top of the jaws and tap the bottom of the top tube with a long socket. That how I do them now.
Facebook/Fr35Hair

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 06:58 PM »
25mm copper pipe @ about 12".
Slide it over the steerer tube and belt it a few times.
It's worked a treat for me !  :daumenhoch:

"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 07:10 PM »
Ok this has somehow been misconstrued- I know HOW to install & the correct tool one should use! I was asking if anyone had any other methods other than said tool (as I do not have one) & a flat-head screwdriver & hammer.  ::)

Anyway, thanks for the replies.  :daumenhoch:

Ill get a piece of pipe!

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 08:47 PM »
I use an adjustable wrench. Drop the race on and then adjust the wrench so that it is the same width as your for steer tube. Then wack the race down using the wrench. The wrench obviously hits the race on both sides as opposed to one side at a time with a screwdriver. Works a treat.  :daumenhoch:
***Wanted - Cash waiting***
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 08:58 PM »
I use an adjustable wrench. Drop the race on and then adjust the wrench so that it is the same width as your for steer tube. Then wack the race down using the wrench. The wrench obviously hits the race on both sides as opposed to one side at a time with a screwdriver. Works a treat.  :daumenhoch:

How do you apply enough force using this method? Do you use a hammer to hit the wrench?

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 09:42 PM »

How do you apply enough force using this method? Do you use a hammer to hit the wrench?

It takes a lot less force then you think. Say for example the race is resting on the crown. I just slide the wrench up the steerer about 4 inches then wack it down on the race. On old bikes it normally goes on with a single hit. More stubborn ones take about 4 or 5 blows. Saying that my adjustable wrench is quite a large one, probably abut 12" long and fairly heavy.
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 09:48 PM »
Yep.  That, or a big ole ring spanner that you then whack with a hammer.

I've always just used hammer & punch myself though. I had (until it was stolen) a very large Snap On punch - around a foot long and quite substantial - which would get even the most stubborn races on with just a couple of taps.

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 10:01 PM »

It takes a lot less force then you think. Say for example the race is resting on the crown. I just slide the wrench up the steerer about 4 inches then wack it down on the race. On old bikes it normally goes on with a single hit. More stubborn ones take about 4 or 5 blows. Saying that my adjustable wrench is quite a large one, probably abut 12" long and fairly heavy.

Nice one cheers Jon, Ill certainly employ this method!  :daumenhoch:

Yep.  That, or a big ole ring spanner that you then whack with a hammer.

I've always just used hammer & punch myself though. I had (until it was stolen) a very large Snap On punch - around a foot long and quite substantial - which would get even the most stubborn races on with just a couple of taps.

Pardon my ignorance but whats a punch...?  :-[

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 10:08 PM »
A punch is like a big blunt chisel.  :daumenhoch:
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 10:25 PM »
A punch is like a big blunt chisel.  :daumenhoch:

:daumenhoch:

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 09:11 PM »
i would use another old crown race on top of the new one them tap it down-i fooked one up before using a flat screwdriver so wouldn't recommend that  :-[

GaryN

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 10:41 PM »
I use some emery paper with oil on it to remove any paint/rust from the steerer tube and also the inside of the race.

I then slide the race onto the steerer tube and the open up the jaws on my workmate so that the upper side of the race is sitting on surface of the workmate jaws, the fork legs are then facing upwards.

I then use a Thor soft face hammer to whack the bottom of the steerer tube, normally one or two sharp hits are enough to drive the race on.

I haven't tried the copper tube method but that sounds good as the copper is not hard enough to damage the race.

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 11:19 PM »
i would use another old crown race on top of the new one them tap it down-i fooked one up before using a flat screwdriver so wouldn't recommend that  :-[

I use some emery paper with oil on it to remove any paint/rust from the steerer tube and also the inside of the race.

I then slide the race onto the steerer tube and the open up the jaws on my workmate so that the upper side of the race is sitting on surface of the workmate jaws, the fork legs are then facing upwards.

I then use a Thor soft face hammer to whack the bottom of the steerer tube, normally one or two sharp hits are enough to drive the race on.

I haven't tried the copper tube method but that sounds good as the copper is not hard enough to damage the race.

Nice one, thanks guys.  :daumenhoch:

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 07:18 AM »

Grind the fooker out a bit to start, won't kill it

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 09:06 AM »

Grind the fooker out a bit to start, won't kill it

I would but at the mo Ive got no grinding based tools!!  :(

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 11:58 AM »
All of the above Rich :daumenhoch:

Bit of gritpaper to clean, then bit of lube. Big hammer, blunt chisel or decent punch or old shifter (adjustable spanner) and work your way round 90 degrees then 45 degrees to finish.

Never had to use a scaffold tube but that's where i'd go if I couldn't use method 1 above.
Still limping......

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 12:05 PM »
i personally would't hit the bottom of the steerer tube as if the forks are powder coated you'll chip a nice chunk off  :-[

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 12:09 PM »
Like the copper tube idea  :4_17_5:

But as him above said  ::) make sure the powder is removed

Run a stanley knike around the edge where the race sits so you get a clean edge and then clean off the excess powder with a stanley blade and some wet and dry

or

cut a clean edge and just use the excess powder as a bit of a shim to make sure its a tight fit   :-\
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 08:47 PM »
I stick a tube over the steerer that longer . Then invert the forks and wack down on a piece of wood  ;) It helps 2 clean off any paint and rust from forks and inner of crown race, plus a dab of grease on the inside of the race  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Crown race installation

gfxgfx
gfx gfx