gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 11:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  At what point......
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: At what point......  (Read 883 times)

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
At what point......
« on: August 10, 2012, 07:40 PM »
What was it that made you stop riding the first time around?

There's lots on here that never stopped but there's more that did, I've rode bmx for 27 years now and I've always felt proud to say I'm a bmxer. The guys I rode with pretty much stopped riding over a decade ago do I've pretty much rode on my own since then, I've seen kids come and go in bmx all with they're own salty attitudes and bizarre dress sense and I guess the legacy left by many of those riders is what we currently have. Bmxers look like girls with fashion stamps! That's the only way I can describe them. I think bikes look goofier than ever, sure some technology has bought on the bmx but to look at the silhouette of a bmx and it's rider just makes me embarrassed to say I am one. The style of riding is jerky and I struggle to watch it now. I guess I feel I don't fit in, and a bit lost within the sport I've loved for 27/32 yrs of my life. this certainly isn't a new feeling as I've had it for some time but I can't walk out of a skatepark without feeling depressed these days. But to say I'm gonna put bmx on the back burner in my life my brain can't take. So just wondered what it was that made you decide to put the bike in the garage and let go of it?

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
Re: At what point......
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 07:51 PM »
Stopped riding when i discovered"........

Beer
Girls
Da reefer

MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 07:55 PM »
doesnt bother me anymore phil,being bothered that is
when i get out i do my best and enjoy it even when its a slack day.
its in your blood bro,nowt you can do about that,it gets to a point where im not in the mood
but that dont matter either,its in us.
just keep at it.

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 07:59 PM »
breaking my collar bone after the British Champs-1987-still highly charged after a fab day,went to my local track when we got home and landed badly ...broken bones!!..lost all confidence for jumping forever more.

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 08:04 PM »
I here you dan. Awesome words.

I'll never sell my bike and I'll always go for a blast around town, I think maybe that's what I should just concerntrate on now, think I need to stop going to skateparks. I enjoy my solo street runs that last about an hour then go home happy after a decent workout.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 08:08 PM »
spot on phil,i just get on my bike and hit the roads,spend 10 mins seshing anything then jog on till
something else grabs my fancy,spent an hour in the dark manualling then got over confident when i tried
one with a bar spin ending on my ass haha  big smile on my face though.
i guess we will ride through another era watching riders younger come no go..thats just the way it is..

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 08:17 PM »
Got selected to run for GB youth in 87, so it was either play around on a BMX or take up Athletics seriously.
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 08:21 PM »
eventually got a car  ::) Plus beer and gals  8)

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 08:22 PM »
Hey buddy, chin up 'n all  :daumenhoch:  Went over the bowls (Tolworth) the other day and was chatting to four 8 - 10 year olds, yes chatting BMX guys  ::)  :LolLolLolLol:  and then let them have my bike for about 40 mins. They loved it. I only hope I restored/gave them the incline to go and sort out some bikes for themselves. Told them I would go back with my 'Freestyler' when it's done and they can laugh their ass's off at me  :LolLolLolLol:

Just keep riding dude. I ride every to and from work, checking out the places I can do some 'tricks', keeping my end in  :daumenhoch:

Need to get out more with others that want to ride and try stuff, as that is where you get the motivation to keep going  :) 
BANNED

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 08:26 PM »
For me I think it was everyone I used to ride with stopped  :( then I started working, then got a car & just stopped going out on mine, that was around 86/87  :(

I got another BMX in the mid 90s & rode that for about a year, but didn't know anyone who had one, so got into MTBs which I've rode ever since & road  8)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 08:28 PM »
Phil.......if its any consolation, i think your riding is awesome and i could watch it all day! But i hear what you're saying.

If i were as good as you, i wouldn't care........id just show them what sweet skillfull riding is all about  :daumenhoch:

Offline TORKER mick

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 08:38 PM »
EEEEEEEEEE,s  ;D :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 08:40 PM »
I only really ride at private lock ins
Would maybe be a diff story if I didn't live in the sticks & on top of a hill, but for me a big part of it was/is having mates around who are into it. Thanks to this site there are enough similarly affected people around to almost make this seem like normal behaviour

If I was any good though I'd be happy to go to the skatepark by myself, probably wouldn't look like a paedo then  ;D

Hellcat

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 09:00 PM »
Bitd:

C64 commuter games
Girls
Booze

then moving to London to Study / work

Nowadays I like riding parks early mornings and trying to be better than I was when I was 15 (I probably am tbh :laugh:). I've got some local empty spaces to try stuff out too. :)

Bitd there was no-one local to ride with and nowhere local to ride, cheers to Dave for pestering me to come out recently.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 09:12 PM »
I gave up in 84 because I was bored and a bit salty too if I'm honest.

It took Mat Hoffman to bring me back. Without him, I never would have bought another bike.

Offline AKGOFF

• 900 Air
  • 85 Hutch 'Woody' Trickstar
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 10:49 PM »
*******EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE APART FROM THE TRICKSTARS******

griff

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 10:54 PM »
Adam gives up forgets how to ride after about 3 pints

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • funny you should say that..
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 11:08 PM »
Adam gives up forgets how to ride after about 3 pints
He's pretty shit on any bike tbh.. I thought drink improved his riding and I'm not fooking joking! Wearing flared trousers don't help either Adam.  ;)
Griff loves BUM..

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 11:12 PM »
Honda SS50!! My Dad modified it using a cheeky C90 engine so I could blow the Fizzies away!!!  :LolLolLolLol:

In2 bmx

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 11:18 PM »
EEEEEEEEEE,s  ;D :daumenhoch:
  :LolLolLolLol:  :daumenhoch:   And music ..

nosher70

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2012, 05:58 AM »
I dont think I ever "got back INTO it". I own a restored Hoffman Big Daddy and a 21" Hoffman anniversary with some of the best components money can buy.

The reason? I feel a little stupid riding around where im living on the 21" due to my age/weight etc. Im certain this would be different if I was in the UK and could get to a skatepark and join up with like-minded folk. As things are the daddy was ridden in Blackpool the year before last and is now hanging up in a garage, and the 21" is out here sitting on my carpet.

Reason I got "out" originally?  (when I was 24 or 25 years old)

Many reasons, beer, women, job, clubbing..........

Cant wait to come back to the UK (in a couple of years) and then ill be able to make MK and the skatepark, once ive chipped my SLK in for a practical vehicle, that is.......

:)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  At what point......

gfxgfx
gfx gfx