gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 07:31 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Broken Sugino Stem
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Broken Sugino Stem  (Read 2861 times)

Bathtub57

Broken Sugino Stem
« on: July 24, 2012, 04:08 PM »
After getting a bit of movement on my handlebars I pulled them out to discover the alloy part of the stem is broken.  Is this a part I can buy somewhere - what would it be called?

On a related, but separate note, another stem has a rounded off allen bolt on the main stem bolt - is there a fix to get this undone, it really is completely rounded off. 

Offline MaD-RoK

• Flip-Whip
  • I think my eyeball is allergic to sperm.
    • +100km BMX Marathon. Donate here....
  • Rated:
Re: Broken Sugino Stem
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 04:13 PM »
Its called a wedge.  :daumenhoch:

Offline MaD-RoK

• Flip-Whip
  • I think my eyeball is allergic to sperm.
    • +100km BMX Marathon. Donate here....
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 04:15 PM »
Not sure what fitting these copies have if you get stuck on a replacement, best off putting an add up in wanted.  :coolsmiley:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-RUPTION-RDX-1-QUILL-STEM-SILVER-/110425890763?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item19b5e55fcb#ht_1361wt_1293

Bathtub57

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 05:03 PM »
OK< thanks. So I guess it's a wanted ad for a Sugino Wedge.  Trying out a wedge from a cheap headset might be an option - anyone done this?

Any thoughts on the second question - how to remove a stem with a rounded allen bolt?

bobbysam

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 08:28 PM »
Is the Allen bolt proud ? If it is just cut a slot with a hacksaw and use a large bladed screw driver

Bobby

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 08:45 PM »
To remove the bolt, get a drill piece thats the same width/diameter as the bolt head and gently drill the head off taking care not to go too wild to damage the stem. Once off, slide out your stem, turn bike upside down, remove the front wheel and using a metal bar, just tap/bang the wedge and remaining bolt piece out  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Bathtub57

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 10:19 PM »
Thanks - bolt head sits about 8mm inside the stem, so looks like it a drill bit and a steady hand...
Cheers
Mark

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 06:16 PM »
looks the same type of wedge as a suntour that does.
i've changed the wedges before but had to cut the stem shaft to suit the new wedge.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 06:33 PM »
The proud allen bolt and that type of wedge only came on sugino stems I beleave.
So it pretty much leaves you looking for another as a doner.
If you find a source for that type bolt & wedge combo in that length I would be interested to know.  :coolsmiley:

Clean

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 08:57 PM »
The proud allen bolt and that type of wedge only came on sugino stems I beleave.
So it pretty much leaves you looking for another as a doner.
If you find a source for that type bolt & wedge combo in that length I would be interested to know.  :coolsmiley:

Lads,

There is a great source on eBay for this type of shit, and I have bought from he / she recently. Buy with confidence; prices OK and postage is a lot faster than you would imagine.  :daumenhoch:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nos-OS-BMX-Stem-Bolt-for-Sugino-SR-NITTO-HUTCH-suntour-/160619393222?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2565a970c6

Lots of OS Hardware bits and pieces available and a nice and trustworthy eBayer. Not sure if it is all genuine early '80s stuff, but who cares if little parts like that are readily available and do the job?  ???

Clean.

*ps* Apologies if I have broken one of the RAD rules by sharing; not sure and not meant. Just trying to help out.  :angel:

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 12:14 AM »
That's an SR set up rich. The bolt is right but the angle on the wedge is not.
If I had my stem shaft cut to fit the wedge angle it would work but I was just hoping to find the correct set up without having to change anything.

Bathtub57

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 09:47 PM »
Just by way of update none of the cheapo wedges so far have fit.

Also a word to those who are numpties with power tools, like me, I put the drill though my left hand today trying to drill out the stem bolt on the other bike, luckily I missed anything of importance but man it hurts now and wasted many hours at A&E. Be careful!

Did have a nice ride on the GT this morning though.

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 11:14 PM »
cut the stem shaft to suit the new wedge

Yep, just done that on one of my riders. Much better job and got  bigger dia bolt in as well to make it reeeeeeaaaallly tighten up :daumenhoch: :LolLolLolLol:
Still limping......

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 10:13 AM »
Ouch!
Hope your ok mate.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Broken Sugino Stem

gfxgfx
gfx gfx