gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 12:26 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Frame Stripping
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Frame Stripping  (Read 1111 times)

Rossi46

Frame Stripping
« on: July 13, 2012, 04:21 PM »
Hi folks. I have a couple of frames that i need to get the chrome stripped from before i can take them to SBD for powder.

The chrome is pretty bad and on one of the frames the metalwork has started to pit. i have read through numerous posts today using the search function and opinion seems to be divided. Does the chrome need to be chemically stripped or blasted ?

I rung a very unhelpful chromers today and naming no names (CASTLE CHROME  :2gunsfiring_v1:) in Dudley, they stated that if there were not sufficient drain holes in the frame and any of the solution was left inside the frame then it would deteriorate very quickly from the inside out. I asked them if they used a cleansing solution to try and prevent this but they replied that it was my job to make sure there was sufficient drainage even if it meant drilling extra holes WTF. They also said they would only take on the work if i was going to have the frames rechromed and would not just provide a stripping service.

The blasting process sounds favourable but i read in a few of the posts that this can be too aggressive.

Help !!! Can any of you provide your past experiences with either of the above processes so i can determine what might be best to allow me to make an informed decision. SBDcan do the powder but cant do the prep work.

It would also be helpful if someone can provide details of where they have had work done if you were happy with it.

Many thanks, Lez

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Frame Stripping
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 04:36 PM »
Sounds like they don't want the business to be honest, I take mine to my local chromers for chrome removal and they take the piece in with no questions and no issues.  2 weeks later it is back with me.

Speak to another chromers.

When going for powdercoating I have never removed the chrome 1st I get the powder guy to lightly blast it to get a key and the powder goes over the top.  Never had any problems with this at all.

Rossi46

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 05:15 PM »
Thanks for that Stidds. My thoughts were to take it to dan for powder and i was thinking he might have given it a light blast first to get the powder to key but he states he can't do this ?
I think the concern is that if any of the flaking chrome gets missed, it will cause problems once powdered. Also, one of the frames is very rough to the touch and needs to be made as smooth as possible before applying powder as the roughness will still be visible afterwards.

I don't know what to do for the best. i hear that dan is one of the best in the business and i really want him to do my frames but i'm struggling to come up with the best method for stripping and preparing first  :-\

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 05:31 PM »
Speak to SBD as he gets it done for you  :daumenhoch:

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 05:54 PM »
Speak to SBD as he gets it done for you  :daumenhoch:

not anymore, :( my local guy has packed up so the nearest is hockley chromers, i'm sure they strip only, i did speak to lez today and gave him
the worst case cenarios judging how bad the chrome sounds, blastings fine if the chrome is in fair condition, if it's peeling and deeply pitted
the chances are it will bubble and lift when the powders baked at full temp :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 06:24 PM »
Doh! Sorry Dan  :-\

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 09:31 PM »
I use A.C.F. Howell in Walsall as u all know  ;) Contact them and they will strip it chemically or blast it ur choice . Last F&F I had stripped was £30  ;) Give them a call bud  8) Only a few minutes drive from urs in Dudley anyhow  :daumenhoch:

Rossi46

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 09:53 PM »
Thanks Animal i will give them a call. I really appreciate that  :daumenhoch:

Rossi46

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 06:04 PM »
Frames dropped off at ACF howells this morning. Even dragged the Mrs along for the ride which meant she needed so me retail therapy at the nearby retail park afterwards so an expensive morning but i can't complain i guess  :idiot2:

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 06:07 PM »
keep em happy  >:D
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Frame Stripping

gfxgfx
gfx gfx