gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 11:34 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  bay66 park
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: bay66 park  (Read 1019 times)

Glen

bay66 park
« on: July 03, 2012, 07:06 PM »
Has been destroyed completely and is being re-fitted.
Good that its being redone, but bad that its being done by Nike SB.  They've removed the ONLY vert ramp in london and will now probably only be suitable for skateboarders and mice.

http://www.caughtinthecrossfire.com/skate/bay-sixty-6-skatepark-goes-under-the-hammer/

evamedia

Re: bay66 park
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 10:19 AM »
and destroyed the best mini ramp ever :(

deeman

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 10:49 AM »
Fook,that sucks!Havn't been for a few years,had no idea!can't believe the vert ramp has gone!! ???what a waste just to smash it all up.Shame Nike are involved with the rebuild,horrible company! :(

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 10:26 PM »
they never did like having bmx's in there every time i went! although i probably didnt go the right times!

deeman

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 01:03 AM »
and destroyed the best mini ramp ever :(

funny how you remember a place by your slams!i took a proper one on that mini! :buck2:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 03:37 PM »
Rodga Harvey shredding Meanwhile II which is basically what was there before the Playstation park...

Hopefully you'll all be able to see it...

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 04:01 PM »
Rodga Harvey shredding Meanwhile II which is basically what was there before the Playstation park...

Hopefully you'll all be able to see it...

Not quite, meanwhile2 is a minute or 2 away from where playstation/bay66 is.  MW2 is still there, as in the pic!

It's still there then?  I was told it was being pulled down with the rest of the Bay66 park  :-\ .  Good to hear it's still there though, I've not been near there in too many years to remember!  I used to skate there all the time and have some great memories, went there on my bike a fair few times too but was bloody tight to ride!!!

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 07:11 PM »
mw2 is royal oak and bay 66 is more towards ladbroke grove but still under westway  , they never like bmx there anyway as we used to go there 12 years when it was called something else and they hated us then as you had to take your pegs off  but did have one bmx night ,sunday nights i think could be wrong . 
no1stuntmaster on instagram

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 07:17 PM »
It was playstation 2 wasn't it?  where's MW2 then in park royal? One of our hospitals is there and I've never seen a skate park

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 09:04 PM »
So, let me tell you a little story. Settle in...

Back in about 1996ish, we were contracted to build the world championship course for the Snakeboard finals in London, under the A40 a couple of miles along the way from the soon-to-be Bay66. We built the course, the event went without hitch and that was that. We were lucky enough to be able to sell that course to what was then Playstation. We moved the kit down the road and installed it. In addition, we had a couple of quarters left over from a Blue Peter feature, so they got thrown in too. This became the Playstation streetcourse.

If you've ever seen snakeboards in action, you will now understand why everything at Playstation was very small in the early days...

Elsewhere in the park I built a new mini ramp (much loved as it turned out) and we cut the first transition for the vert ramp and of course, gave them the idea to sink it down into the ground.

We then set up the people there to build the vert ramp. In a nutshell, I pointed at the now complete mini ramp and said "copy that". That was the staffs only involvement up until that point. We never even got a brew out of the fcukers, just a bunch of contemptible looks.

As time passed, a few things happened which soured a lot of people, including (allegedly) Sony. They withdrew their support and the park became Bay66 (it's address).

Always makes me chuckle to hear that they built the park themselves when they didn't have the first clue.   

Personally, I found that the attitude/mood there varied a lot. Sometimes it was cool, other times very hostile. But then I suppose that's London generally eh?

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 09:17 PM »
...But then I suppose that's London generally eh?

...and they make you pay to get into the place now Rob... s'why I don't go  :yahoo_silent:

;D
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

deeman

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 03:14 AM »
Top pic of Rodga Marty!He used to rip at Harrow!Is MW history now too?never forget the Gonz gap!wouldnt even dream of attempting to ollie that now!!! :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 11:22 AM »
Meanwhile2 is still there and very much intact.  A mate of mine was riding there yesterday

Awesome, any chance of some recent pics of it Glen? 

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  bay66 park

gfxgfx
gfx gfx