gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 03:27 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Dying Pads, does it work? - PIC OF PAD NOW ADDED
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Dying Pads, does it work? - PIC OF PAD NOW ADDED  (Read 483 times)

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Dying Pads, does it work? - PIC OF PAD NOW ADDED
« on: June 29, 2012, 05:48 PM »
Got an Old Black Mongoose Frame Pad that has faded, if I dyed the pad would the print turn black as well.
Any ideas?

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 10:43 AM by BMX1973 »

Offline region11

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Re: Dying Pads - does it work
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 06:36 PM »
I've dyed an old skyway pad and an old zap pad and my experience was that print is affected by the dye.
Neil

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 06:54 PM »

I thought that might be the case. :(

I've dyed an old skyway pad and an old zap pad and my experience was that print is affected by the dye.

I might try a permanant marker and avoid the wording.  :-\

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 07:24 PM »
I had some faded MT Racing Black pads ~ faded to brown on one side - white writing

dyed them black and the pads went nice and black but the white writing went to grey ! but it match the grips so worked out for me  ;)
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 07:49 PM »
could you not paint artists masking fluid over writing and then peel off afterwards

lk_97

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 08:12 PM »
Fabric pen might work?

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 10:23 PM »
Hmmm never thought of that  :-\ has anybody tried this.

Fabric pen might work?

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 10:47 PM »
Hmmm never thought of that  :-\ has anybody tried this.

Fabric pen might work?
Ive never seen anything good ever done with a fabric pen, and it works by soaking int othe fabric, on the pads the lettering will be vinyl, so a fabric pen wouldnt work, as its not writing on fabric, its over vinyl. and the pads are nylon, not an absorbant material that the pen would adhere to
I stand by my masking fluid idea, if you dont know what it is, then basically its like a liquid latex, you could paint over the top of the design, put the pads in for dying, then the masking fluid peels off like a rubber coating. It cant harm the vinyl as its normally used to go over the top of various different paints, and then removed afterwards to leave sharp edges on oil paints etc

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=artists+masking+fluid&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a#q=artists+masking+fluid&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=YGk&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&psj=1&ei=yiLuT53eIcLF8gOgpa2VDQ&ved=0CEQQ_AUoBQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=1deb3a27a4d9b1ab&biw=1366&bih=602
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 10:49 PM by Jaymz »

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 09:20 AM »
i ruined a set of pads by dying them.  :tickedoff:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 10:34 AM »
Thanks "Jaymz" I might give it a go.  Would it have to be used on both sides of the pad, as would'nt the dye soak through from the back? :-\ Anyone on here that can do this.  :-[ Dont want to ruin a semi-decent pad!

could you not paint artists masking fluid over writing and then peel off afterwards

Hmmm never thought of that  :-\ has anybody tried this.

Fabric pen might work?
Ive never seen anything good ever done with a fabric pen, and it works by soaking int othe fabric, on the pads the lettering will be vinyl, so a fabric pen wouldnt work, as its not writing on fabric, its over vinyl. and the pads are nylon, not an absorbant material that the pen would adhere to
I stand by my masking fluid idea, if you dont know what it is, then basically its like a liquid latex, you could paint over the top of the design, put the pads in for dying, then the masking fluid peels off like a rubber coating. It cant harm the vinyl as its normally used to go over the top of various different paints, and then removed afterwards to leave sharp edges on oil paints etc

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=artists+masking+fluid&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a#q=artists+masking+fluid&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=YGk&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&psj=1&ei=yiLuT53eIcLF8gOgpa2VDQ&ved=0CEQQ_AUoBQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=1deb3a27a4d9b1ab&biw=1366&bih=602
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 10:42 AM by BMX1973 »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Dying Pads, does it work? - PIC OF PAD NOW ADDED

gfxgfx
gfx gfx