gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 06:26 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  TRM Freestyler database??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: TRM Freestyler database??  (Read 3273 times)

Offline 80sBMXer

• Curb Endo
  • TRM register will be updated soon-sorry too busy!
  • Rated:
TRM Freestyler database??
« on: June 24, 2012, 03:06 PM »
Now I have finally got the bike of my dreams(White TRM freestyler)  I was thinking of getting an unofficial database together with some form of numbering system to keep track of the known TRM bikes , colour , location etc if your interested , hopefully people won't keep their one a secret.

Incidentally Derrick Owens (1984 national champion on a TRM freestyler aged 12) recently sold a wreck for £515 on ebay , he still has his winning bike in his mums loft !! although it's NOT FOR SALE
This he says was the 2nd off the production line

so his will be TRM #2

I am going to get as much of the TRM story collated and will happily share with my findings with RADBMX after I get in touch with the family who still live less than a mile from me!

I have recently dug out my old BMX bike and have had it re-chromed, it was hanging on the wall in my Mums shed for 24yrs, I thought it had gone long ago.

It is as a TRM race frame(prototype)made in about 1984,to my knowledge it is the only one in existance

I was best mates and went to school with the son of the owner of stechford cycles who as you probably know were the sole supplier of the TRM freestyler.(?_)

This bike was raced by his older brother (both brothers rode for the stechford cycles team) and I paid £40 for it in 1984 ish

The bike came with a unique 3 part pad set which is in pretty poor condition but i have kept it as  you can clearly see the TRM techniques logo.(spelt wrong TECHNICS)

I will get some pics up for you soon.

I also am trying to locate an original trm padset so that some reproductions can be produced, As i said earlier I have a padset which I assume the STEM pad is the same, but without seeing original couldn't be 100%

thanks for looking , sorry for gobbledeegook but have been lazy and copied and pasted some previous threads ;) any help appreciated

rad_pitt

Re: TRM Freestyler database??
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 03:15 PM »
Cool stuff, looking forward to seeing it all collated - not to mention having a look at that race frame  :coolsmiley:

Offline 80sBMXer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 04:31 PM »

it is spelt Derrick

Offline 80sBMXer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 05:02 PM »
here you go - sneak preview

TRM 's reunited after 28yrs
still need some parts -all donations welcome

lk_97

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 05:13 PM »
Very nice :daumenhoch: not sure on the seat though if it's a show bike?

Offline 80sBMXer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 05:19 PM »
I know what you mean , but my 42 year old arse needs comfort

Show Bike!! ??  - I'm gonna ride it!!

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 05:51 PM »
Is the race frame braized ? looks a little like Tig 2 me . Can u do some piccys ?

Offline 80sBMXer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 06:51 PM »
Is the race frame braized ? looks a little like Tig 2 me . Can u do some piccys ?

heres pics of welds but Im not sure which they are?

I paid £100 for rechrome, there was quite a bit of repair work so not a bad price , but guy said he struggled to polish it , hence back of seat tube/stays are n't brilliant.
see me & my bikes for other pics.

thanks for your interest.

Offline stu27

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 06:53 PM »
cracking story mate :daumenhoch:
id heard about this race frame
stechford cycles was my local bike shop bitd,i still only live a mile or so from there
its a peri-peri chicken place now
cant seem to see a serial number on me TRM though
negativity is for chumps,positivity is for champs

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 07:25 PM »
Hard 2 tell cos of the polishing 4 the rechrome but looks like braizing 2 me on the headstock . Wonder if Brum Wheels made it as they were local eh  ? There was a guy at my school called Joff who rode 4 stechford cycles bitd . U know him ? not sure if it was a nick name tho  ::)

Offline 80sBMXer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 07:29 PM »
Hi Stu

Unfortunately there are no frame numbers , and even the numbers banded around of "1000 frames made " seems a bit high to me, i suspect it will be much lower.(I hope anyway)

I seem to recall someone on RAD saying theres had No24 on it, but don't know where on the frame this was stamped, or who it was

I am intending to record a photo(or photos if the colour changed) of each survivor , giving it an unofficial number
 basically if you have a TRM - choose a number from 3 -1000 and send me your pics and any info you have , when bought etc etc

I'm having TRM #1  :LolLolLolLol: unless someone can prove theres is the 1st one
Derrick Owens is TRM#2

so it seems a good place to start

amazingly - my father in law used to work at Ansells brewery (closed in 1980) with Tony Peach , who was a "smashing bloke with a great pair of hands" Tony made all these frames himself!!(maybe incorrect-open to debate) apparantly he now lives in Spain.

I am also soon to contact Steve Fletcher, who you will remember ran the shop in Stechford for the Turnbull family.

loads more to tell, when i have more time.

as always any help with relevant  info or mistakes to my memory always welcomed .

Offline 80sBMXer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 08:05 PM »
Hard 2 tell cos of the polishing 4 the rechrome but looks like braizing 2 me on the headstock . Wonder if Brum Wheels made it as they were local eh  ? There was a guy at my school called Joff who rode 4 stechford cycles bitd . U know him ? not sure if it was a nick name tho  ::)

I remember visiting birmingham wheels and seeing the frames being made , but that wasn't the same place as TRM

remember the names Raggy, Trevor Robinson.

I need to get info from Jon and Dave Turnbull (son's stechford cycles) they would remember better than me as they used to race for the TRM/ Stechford cycles team

thanks for your interest

Offline Darren KAP

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 08:23 PM »

As you already know bud i've got a survivor chrome that i'm currantly rebuilding ,  here's a pic

This is how i got it , the chrome is in great condition  :daumenhoch:
Life .......... Your here for a good time not a long time

Offline 80sBMXer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 08:26 PM »
Cheers Darren
and thanks again

Looks like yours is

TRM#3

You happy with that?

Offline Darren KAP

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 08:46 PM »

:LolLolLolLol:  i'm happy that it's a TRM bud , i loved them as a kid and still do to this day  :smitten: :smitten:
Life .......... Your here for a good time not a long time

Offline stu27

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 09:56 PM »

I remember visiting birmingham wheels and seeing the frames being made , but that wasn't the same place as TRM

remember the names Raggy, Trevor Robinson.

I need to get info from Jon and Dave Turnbull (son's stechford cycles) they would remember better than me as they used to race for the TRM/ Stechford cycles team

thanks for your interest
raggy(steve grice) is a scrap man now
he had some stuff off me around easter time when i was filling a skip up
i used to knock about with him when i was younger round by Ac0cks Green train station
he was a nice guy then,and his still a nice guy now :daumenhoch:
negativity is for chumps,positivity is for champs

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  TRM Freestyler database??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx