gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 08:31 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Being anally retentive about parts
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Being anally retentive about parts  (Read 2278 times)

Clean

Being anally retentive about parts
« on: June 22, 2012, 10:15 PM »
So,

I am agonising because I have picked up a nice NOS (repop) Tioga Beartrap 2, and my build requires a  Tange MX Headset.   ::)

There is no money to lose, as I can sell the Tioga for what I paid, as I got a fair deal from a RADster, and Tange MX2s are readily available on the bay for a similar price.....

The thing is I can't help feeling the whole situation is a little anally retentive.  :idiot2:

A headset, is a headset, is a headset, right?  ???

The BT2 is legendary in terms of reliability, the MX2 is more "factory correct" but is not actually correct as what I really need is an MX600, apparently (any ideas?)....  :-\

What would you do?  ???

What do you actually do?  ???

Do you agonise for ever over finding a correctly date stamped DC Cable, or do you just build the fooker?  ???

Come on.... 'fess up!  :knuppel2:

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Being anally retentive about parts
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 10:20 PM »
haha
i have got worse the longer i have collected tbh

had a pile of repop stuff at one stage that has pretty much all gone now as the need to get period correct stuff grew

the feeling to preserve and keep things original has grown big time throughout the years i have been collecting too

all in all thougbh rich, this is a hobby so it needs to be enjoyed

do whatever makes YOU happy kid xx

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 10:22 PM »
im not over fussy about headsets,nice to be totally correct but tiny parts dont bother me so much especially when they are a continuation of a part not a repro just a current but same version :daumenhoch:
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 11:02 PM »
I'm doing another build thats going to be the same as an iconic vintage bike but theres no way I can get the tyres which is really pissing me off, so I've gone for the next best thing which look pretty similarish. It will be close but not exact  :tickedoff: and it will always annoy me until I find the right tyres  ;D
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 11:05 PM »
All my bikes are between 80 and 85, as long as the parts are from that time period then that's fine by me.

lets face it, if you went in the bike shop in 84 and bought a frame set and some parts to go with it and the guy gave an 83 cable, would you have given him it back and demanded a cable with this years date on it ? I very much doubt it (in them days i doubt you even noticed they had dates on them). equally so, if you then rode round on that bike for a year and fancied changing some parts around for something a bit different, would you have gone back to the shop and asked if he had any of last years stock parts ? No, i didn't think so.

So if you're building a catalogue spec bike, then i guess it would make a difference. If you are not, who gives a stuff as long as it's era correct  :daumenhoch:
If there's air in the tyres... it's a rider

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 11:08 PM »
All my bikes are between 80 and 85, as long as the parts are from that time period then that's fine by me.

lets face it, if you went in the bike shop in 84 and bought a frame set and some parts to go with it and the guy gave an 83 cable, would you have given him it back and demanded a cable with this years date on it ? I very much doubt it (in them days i doubt you even noticed they had dates on them). equally so, if you then rode round on that bike for a year and fancied changing some parts around for something a bit different, would you have gone back to the shop and asked if he had any of last years stock parts ? No, i didn't think so.

So if you're building a catalogue spec bike, then i guess it would make a difference. If you are not, who gives a stuff as long as it's era correct  :daumenhoch:

its a facto  :daumenhoch:

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 11:08 PM »
Within a year or two is fine as Steve says we changed parts all the time bitd  :daumenhoch:
2 minutes turkish...

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 11:25 PM »
As I ride all my bikes, headsets and tyres are not really an issue for me. I always try and fit Bear Trap II's to the bikes, as you said, they are renowned for reliability, and Comp III re-issues  :daumenhoch: As for the other parts, as long as they are within 2-3 years of the frame set period, that's fine  :coolsmiley: I did used to build bikes how I wanted them but have grown into the era correctness parts issue. A good and bad thing really as certain items are getting pretty thin on the ground, tyres being the main items and not into riding £100 tyres anymore as they just fall to bits  :LolLolLolLol:

BANNED

Offline Badbaldie

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 11:34 PM »
rich in order to answer your question i first need you to answer mine ......... when you go to the toilet which hand do you wipe ur bum with ?

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 11:51 PM »
hope he uses paper and not just his hand  :shocked:
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline stevochb

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 11:54 PM »
I go along with what Steve69 said but the longer I have been collecting the more I have tried to get everything date correct.

FOOKING MADNESS :LolLolLolLol:

Offline stu27

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 11:55 PM »
rich in order to answer your question i first need you to answer mine ......... when you go to the toilet which hand do you wipe ur bum with ?
i bet he uses pink and baby blue loo roll
alla avfc
KRO :daumenhoch:
negativity is for chumps,positivity is for champs

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 07:43 PM »
lets face it, if you went in the bike shop in 84 and bought a frame set and some parts to go with it and the guy gave an 83 cable, would you have given him it back and demanded a cable with this years date on it ?

:2funny:   :2funny: :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • funny you should say that..
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 08:01 PM »
lets face it, if you went in the bike shop in 84 and bought a frame set and some parts to go with it and the guy gave an 83 cable, would you have given him it back and demanded a cable with this years date on it ?

:2funny:   :2funny: :LolLolLolLol:
He's dry isn't he :LolLolLolLol:
Agree with him though  ;)
Griff loves BUM..

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 08:07 PM »
might be arsed.. defeating the object ! BUILD IT !

In2 bmx

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 08:44 PM »
It's all too anal . Bitd you didnt even care what year it was as long as it looked good and made you faster ... If you raced like I did !

If it looks right and within a few years or so then go with it ...  :daumenhoch:

Who's bikes on here have the correct year spokes , nipples , tubes and dust caps .. ??? 
 Unless its a complete survivor from bitd , not very many .. 

Anyone wanna swap a red DC rear dated 7.6.83  for 7.5.83  ;D

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 08:56 PM »
It's all too anal . Bitd you didnt even care what year it was as long as it looked good and made you faster ... If you raced like I did !

If it looks right and within a few years or so then go with it ...  :daumenhoch:

Who's bikes on here have the correct year spokes , nipples , tubes and dust caps .. ??? 
 Unless its a complete survivor from bitd , not very many .. 

Anyone wanna swap a red DC rear dated 7.6.83  for 7.5.83  ;D

Yeah, tis true Carl... Although I am looking for some 1983 dust caps!!!!  ;D

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 09:42 PM »
As should always be said Rich,,do what suits you mate  :daumenhoch: .

I took this Quadangle to MK07 loaded with NOS Z rims NOS hubs NOS brakes NOS seat etc

and YES double pinch  cranks :and rainbow labels crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2:  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

I obviously didn't know what it took to enter a bike for a show and shine  ::)

When or if you do become "era correct"bothered ,,building bikes become more involving and possibly more interesting from a collectors point of view  :angel:

It's all down to are you more of a keen collector or just like old BMX  :smitten:

As always this hobby takes allsorts and it's all the better for having a mix of opinions

Myself I wouldn't be seen dead with  parts on my bike that weren't made in the same WEEK  :yahoo_silent:   ;) ;) :LolLolLolLol:

I've also managed to source a vat of genuine 80's air for inflating  the tyres  :D

Shove your  repop headset up your arrr  :LolLolLolLol:  

WARNING for those reading with a serious low sense of humour ,,,the above opinion is total bollox 

« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 11:55 PM by Hunterdubber »

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 09:49 PM »
As should always be said Rich,,do what suits you mate  :daumenhoch: .

I took this Quadangle to MK07 loaded with NOS Z rims NOS hubs NOS brakes NOS seat etc

and YES double pinch  cranks :and rainbow labels crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2:  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

I obviously didn't know what it took to enter a bike for a show and shine  ::)

When or if you do become "era correct"bothered ,,building bikes become more involving and possibly more interesting from a collectors point of view  :angel:

It's all down to are you more of a keen collector or just like old BMX  :smitten:

As always this hobby takes allsorts and it's all the better for having a mix of opinions

Myself I would be seen dead with  parts on my bike that weren't made in the same WEEK  :yahoo_silent:

I've also managed to source a vat of genuine 80's air for inflating  the tyres  :D

:LolLolLolLol:

There's no way I would look for 1983 dust caps Chris!!!  ;D Well............not yet anyway!!!!!  ;)

You're right though- it is interesting & to some degree educational to source era correct parts.

But at the same time bloody frustrating & expensive!!  >:(

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 11:05 PM »
you turn into an old fart . like them old boys who will only collect early issue train sets !  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 11:11 PM »
you turn into an old fart . like them old boys who will only collect early issue train sets !  :LolLolLolLol:

Im already there!!!  ;D

Offline stu27

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 11:14 PM »
you know what
fook em all
 :daumenhoch:

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 11:18 PM »
fook em all

Isn't that Metallica's first album...??!!!!!  :D  ;D

Offline Darren KAP

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2012, 11:18 PM »
  When i got into this mad house i just wanted to build all the bikes i liked as a kid , to be honest now i'm parting some out to make room for ones that i'm 100% happy with and i'm now taking my time in looking for the parts that will look right right than what i've got already , At the end of the day if one is happy with their build thats what matters as a hobby is to be enjoyed not stressed over  :daumenhoch:  

Answer to your question Rich i've a lavender head set will that do before it goes on the bay  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Just enjoy yourself Rich  :daumenhoch:
Life .......... Your here for a good time not a long time

Offline stu27

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2012, 11:21 PM »
fook em all

Isn't that Metallica's first album...??!!!!!  :D  ;D
no rich
its my 1st album
me 2nd one,is called fook em all 2
build what you want,and love it
cnting hobby has got to exspensive
like fooking tennis,eliteist event

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Being anally retentive about parts

gfxgfx
gfx gfx