gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 08:09 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  USED TO BE RAD NOW IM A FAT DAD
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: USED TO BE RAD NOW IM A FAT DAD  (Read 5770 times)

phatjimmy

USED TO BE RAD NOW IM A FAT DAD
« on: June 06, 2012, 05:27 PM »
Hello all
My glory days were approx  1992 to 1996 when as RIDE ON would say " BMX IS DEAD " I lived and breathed BMX throughout this time pretty much riding every day or digging jumps at my local spot the HILLS AND MOUNTAINS in Burgh Heath Surrey. My riding crew would do the odd road/train trip mostly to ROM skatepark where we all learnt to twist out of the long bowl with the concrete halfpipe in the middle must have gone there well over a hundred times. We also visited Radlands about 5 times hitting the jumpbox mainly and just loving the whole place. We were there for Backyard Jam at the Bexhill racetrack where Fuzzy twisted the Chasm and Moeller no handed the same jump ( maybe different years memories a bit rusty ) I remember sessioning a set of three doubles when the jam had finished and the place had quietened down a bit double berm double double the last boosted you right up i tried my masterpiece at the time one footed half barspin one hander that ended pretty bad the bars got caught and i ended up winded on the floor with a purple egg on the side of my stomach PAIN!! I recovered then tried again BOOM landed it SWEET. We went the next year to Backyard i remember it being in a field somewhere in hastings with the jumps running downhill and a pond/river at the end good times.One of the old crew never gave up riding and has continued to improve our local spot with a REDBULL backyard digger jam last summer which was awesome to see. That place is totally different to my day and the hard work that has gone into creating what is there now is so impressive. Any way waffling over i may see you out and about sometime repping for the mid school im hunting a Holmes mk3 frame to build up this new stuff is just too light!!
Take it easy
Phat Jimmy

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: USED TO BE RAD NOW IM A FAT DAD
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 05:33 PM »
Welcome.

Plenty of people around that that time are on here - you'll have plenty of stories in common for sure  :)

phatjimmy

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 06:06 PM »
Thanks man reading through the mid school section brings it all back!!

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 06:17 PM »
welcome aboard mate... you got any pics from back then?  :)

you can ride some of the fat off ... thats my plan.
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

phatjimmy

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 06:49 PM »
I had a big stack of them but havent seen them for years i can ask some of my old riding crew as there must be someone with some. I know ive got a pile of old ride mags in my mammas loft i just need to dig them out. I used to have the moeller sequence poster from the chasm at backyard on my wall in the 90's that gap was big!! I do get out for a ride now and then with my 9yr old son santa bought him an 18inch fit trail and thats when it all started coming back we've changed a few bits to personalise it and theres an awesome skatepark in crawley i take him too if we had that in our day!!!!! ;D

evamedia

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 10:47 AM »
I used to ride a bit down hills, there's a couple of clips from there in this, filmed from mid to late 90's

http://video.mpora.com/watch/QtGr6nMz9/

and a few at Epsom, most trails clips are from Grove Trails in Rayleigh Essex though

phatjimmy

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 11:40 AM »
You got some footage there man!! The launch now sadly long gone, i reckon the hills local is rob (chrome mk2 holmes tuffs ) he's the one who has kept that place alive. And flying brian from the dyke ( now epsom trails ) I havent seen that dude in years i bumped into his mate Dave at a skatepark in Epsom a few years back he still rides, nice to see some old footage.
Nice one
Jim

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 01:09 PM »
Welcome to Rad. Have a look here if your in the area:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=146209.msg1433679#new
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

evamedia

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 02:54 PM »
I remember Rob, used to do some great 360's , don't think the first clips were him, that was some younger bloke who always had an Arsenal shirt on.

Rode with Brian at Epsom last year, think it was his only trip out on the bike all year though, seriously under the thumb

phatjimmy

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 03:24 PM »
Ha!! i spoke to rob yesterday and showed him the link  we reckon it was Kev  that guy was a natural we built him a bike out of bits we all had laying around burner frame old tuff 2 front 36 rear crappy bars etc and he was doing tricks within weeks that had taken us months to learn!! He ended up buying a new PK ripper frame and built it up with better parts. He married a swedish girl and moved over there years ago making cakes for a living funny guy!! Im still convinced the second 360 is Rob i paused it just on the lip and i swear it was his face all the others are Kev on Robs bike.

evamedia

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 03:50 PM »
you could be right, think the later clips were Kev, seem to remember Paul Bliss coming down to shoot for that one off mag BMX Grind, and he had him jumping a set of doubles virtually in the dark to make sure he got the right shot (in the days before DSLR's)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 06:21 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 06:55 PM »
howdy !  :daumenhoch:
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline gary67

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 06:35 PM »
Welcome,reading your post just reminded me i had a dream about Radlands last night,i was buying a skateboard off the Steve who worked there for his dad Chris who used to run it lol.Had great days an nights there an only 10 mins away :daumenhoch:

phatjimmy

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 08:32 AM »
Yeah Radlands was awesome, we got busted on the train up there once peeling stickers off the walls and generally taking the piss out of each other and pulling funny faces on the way up. When we got off the train the riot squad was waiting for us!! We were about 15 then!! Ended up at northampton police station for a couple of hours getting bollocked and they let us go, we were waiting for them to show us the footage from the cctv we must have looked like a right bunch of nutters!! Funny times, we still had a good ride after. Do you remember the roll in from the top of the shop? first time i did it i was pooping it but it gave you plenty of speed for the moveable volcano, wicked place.

Offline gary67

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 08:09 PM »
Yeah i remember the roll in above the shop,remember doing a 360 at the top then spraining me ankle ;DGreat times :daumenhoch:

lk_97

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 06:17 PM »
Welcome ;) got any pictures of any bikes you had back then? :daumenhoch:

phatjimmy

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 09:04 PM »
Thanks lk97, no ive lost all my pics im gonna try and hunt some down from my buddies but im not that hopefull  :'(

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  USED TO BE RAD NOW IM A FAT DAD

gfxgfx
gfx gfx