gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 09:30 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Cost of things "back in the day"
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Cost of things "back in the day"  (Read 4458 times)

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Cost of things "back in the day"
« on: June 21, 2012, 07:44 PM »
Evening all,

I am down some serious cash (to me) after literally only a few months! Some is pure stupidity where I have paid about ten times what something is worth to c***s on eBay. Some is due to me forgetting I have two of something and buying a 3rd as its still being shipped from over the pond........and some is due to having no idea what stuff is worth!

One thing for sure though, when I eventually finish my first two builds which will be an 85 Pro Performer and an 88 Performer hybrid, I will be as happy as a pig in $hit. Can't see me ever wanting to sell them, nor would I recover my outlay - but who knows!!

This got me thinking..............

What did stuff actually used to cost?

My Mum bought be a Puch in the 80s that I hated and it was heavier than our Triumph.

Similar acceptance speech to Simon receiving the Yellow car in The Inbetweeners.......and yes I feel pretty f'cking bad about how I relayed that speech on Christmas day even now 30 years on!

This was upgraded to a Diamond Back something something 500 a few years later ......Think it cost her over £200 and I loved it.... I later sold it in 1991 to buy some purple om's on a night Sasha was playing The Palais in Sheffield 

Always wanted either a yellow or white GT Pro Performer or a Skyway TA - never had the money. So...........my question is.......How much were they back then?

My rich cousin had a Hutch (one of many rides he had) - how much would that have been?

What was the most expensive bike / brand  in the 80s?

Be interested if anyone knew?

PS........ How much was an 85 GT Pro Performer in I assume 85?

stu70

Re: Cost of things "back in the day"
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 11:11 AM »
Skyway Ta framesets sold for about £160-70, Hutch Pro Racer around £150, they actually weren't any dearer than most of the higher end frames available, a Pro Performer was about £165-70 when they came out.

Most bikes were just sold as frames and forks so they could be built up as cheaply/expensively as your parents could afford, most expensive completes were the Redline Carrera, Mongoose Pro Class, Harry Leary Turbo which were all in the £350-400 range.

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 11:55 AM »
Looptail PK Ripper,Skyways,Sugino Maxy Cross crank,Suntour stem,seatclamp,Rental bars,Shimano DX pedals,DC MX1000's etc cost me £300 in 1982

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 12:05 PM »
The only new complete BMX I ever had was my Falcon Pro that we got cheap somewhere, might have been about £100. The only brand new F&F I ever got was my Curtis Pro that I got for about £75 in 1986, that was half price in a closing down sale, so does fit with the prices suggested above. New Skool bikes are relatively cheaper now than Old Skool bikes are now and were then.

evamedia

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 12:53 PM »
My GT Pro performer double bend down tube frame and forks cost £330 in 1987

nosher70

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 12:59 PM »
For a GT bikes price-check, why not check out an old FAZE7 advert if you can find one?

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 01:02 PM »
A bike I built up for christmas 83 from new bits I'd bought though out the year came to £360  Exactly this spec (except it had an Addicks chainring)

About a third of today prices ,,, well more ,, those were brand new as opposed to todays used parts

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 01:22 PM »
The price of a well spec'd Hutch Pro in around '84 was about $700.

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 01:25 PM »
Oh & a Kashi aero was about $9...!!!!!!  ;D

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 01:40 PM »
DP Ladder Bars for £15 makes me laugh  ;D

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 02:03 PM »
All well and good quoting prices but why not work out what wages your parents were on to buy them back then?

I'd argue that my parents saved all year to buy my £180 complete Mongoose Cali and my brother's £180 Chromo Burner for Christmas 1983 and they both worked. That's only £30 a month but it was a hell of a lot of money to try and save.

Index link it and I bet o/s is cheaper now (unless it's a Rabbit House), even when it's NOS. We don't know how lucky we are guys.......
Still limping......

Jaypeg

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 02:07 PM »
My 83 mongoose wire wheel cost £150 which as already stated was a lot of cash back then. I know it was this price as my old man tells me whenever I speak to him.

sam hudson

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 02:39 PM »
I think my DB Silver Streak cost my parents £225 in 1983 and my Aero Pro Team Burner cost them £250 in 1985 which was a whopping amount of money.

I remember drooling over a harry leary turbo in the window of Alec Greens bike shop in Birkenhead in 1983 and it was £350.

I have seen a rough calculation that £1000 in 1983 is now worth about £4000 - so would I spend £900 on a BMX for my sons today? Oww. :shocked:

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 03:10 PM »
All well and good quoting prices but why not work out what wages your parents were on to buy them back then?

I'd argue that my parents saved all year to buy my £180 complete Mongoose Cali and my brother's £180 Chromo Burner for Christmas 1983 and they both worked. That's only £30 a month but it was a hell of a lot of money to try and save.

Index link it and I bet o/s is cheaper now (unless it's a Rabbit House), even when it's NOS. We don't know how lucky we are guys.......

you don't half talk some boll*cks Frodo  ;D

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html

£15 pound Ladder bars would cost £39 now... not fekkin £140  :P
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 03:13 PM by ED209º »

Dylan Thomas

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 03:28 PM »
Really good answer as usual and very interesting! I know Mum had to save for that Puch and that she saved a fortune for my Diamond Back (compared to what a single Mum earns).

Now starting to think is it worth buying any top line new gear and keeping NOS in mint condition in a loft. Then in 20 years selling it all!

As long term collectors, you guys seen anyone buying Mid School and selling it on?

Cost of that Hutch at $700 is a fortune!! How much are guys spending now to do a fully tricked out Hutch rebuild?

Annoying that I have spent enough on GT parts to have bought several full bikes back in the day!!

CHEERS!!!

:daumenhoch:

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 03:57 PM »
1978 Torker complete bike $295 fookin bargain  :) got the picture somewhere.  My first Ripper cost £120 for the bike in 82 and still have it  :smitten:
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline TELLIS302000

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 04:39 PM »
Bet you had a top night at the Sasha gig though circa 91'!

The raves then were better than any kids bike!  ;D

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 04:43 PM »
Most flight cranks were about £130 early 80,s,new Profiles will cost you about £150ish for a set with bb,so relatively expensive back then :shocked:

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 04:49 PM »
Bet you had a top night at the Sasha gig though circa 91'!

The raves then were better than any kids bike!  ;D

Haha, it was a good night - but that whole time frame 1990 to 2000 is very hazy! Found a video at my Mums from Sasha at The Eclipse in Coventry. For some bizarre reason The Hitman and Her were there and I can be seen raving on top of a speaker in a blue and white stripped Benetton jumper..... Good times!

Wish could buy my old Diamond Back back off the guy though! :)

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 04:51 PM »
Seems the smart money is in flight cranks which have trebled / quadrupled in value! :)

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 04:55 PM »

Now starting to think is it worth buying any top line new gear and keeping NOS in mint condition in a loft. Then in 20 years selling it all!

IMO I can't see that happening... can't see anyone being nostalgic about this decade  ::)

Dylan Thomas

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 04:57 PM »

IMO I can't see that happening... can't see anyone being nostalgic about this decade  ::)

Good point - well made! :)

Bearing in mind the world ends in December (According to the Mayans), I might need to re think that money making scheme!!

lk_97

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 05:20 PM »
I've got quite a lot of new school bits, although I'm just keeping them so I have something cheap to ride about when I'm a little older or if I want to build by old bike up when I'm the same age as most of you, I'm just looking forward to the day old school bits get cheap again

Offline GTnumber1

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 05:28 PM »
cant remember what this cost me back in the day, remember the frame cost me about 60 quid  :LolLolLolLol: and the levers/crank/rear brake were off my aero pro, would like to know how much it cost to build  if anybodys got any old price lists, still have all of it too  8)

oh ye took me a year to build, earning 10 quid a week for my saturday job  ;D

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 06:21 PM »
cant remember what this cost me back in the day, remember the frame cost me about 60 quid  :LolLolLolLol: and the levers/crank/rear brake were off my aero pro, would like to know how much it cost to build  if anybodys got any old price lists, still have all of it too  8)

oh ye took me a year to build, earning 10 quid a week for my saturday job  ;D

Are you selling that seat of it Steve ?  ;D

Mum just reminded me that I have boxes of old BMX magazines from the 80s at her house. I shall have a look through them for price guides!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Cost of things "back in the day"

gfxgfx
gfx gfx