gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 07:29 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Decals around fork corners - how do you do it? (With SOLUTION + Pic)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Decals around fork corners - how do you do it? (With SOLUTION + Pic)  (Read 1417 times)

punkdSICO

Hey all

How do you apply decs around the bend on forks?  Below is an extreme example where there would have been a major "crimple" at about the letter "D".  In the past I have cut out a thin triangle in the decal, one on either side.  I presume this is your only option?

Im doing decs at the moment and realised my fork decs are going to be like the above (not quite as extreme).

ta

Paul

SOLUTION

After a little googling, MM's suggestion below works (hair dryer).  This video shows the process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO0Kjq6DPWk

I just used a hair dryer and a credit card, making sure you push outwards and dont make any creases.  I was lucky as I had a spare decal which I practiced with first.  The first real one was much better..

Thanks MM for the pointer..

Here are my results. You can see some small bubles in the picture but in the flesh, they really are not that bad and you would not notice.

Paul
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 07:20 PM by punkdSICO »

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Decals around fork corners - how do you do it?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 03:40 PM »
You don't have a problem with LG decals as they are `cut vinyl' rub on types, made up of loads of individual pieces, the carrier tape or film will flute up on application, but this is removed anyway.

A printed decal can be heated up with a hairdryer to aid stretching around a bend, but not easy.

MM
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

punkdSICO

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 03:57 PM »
A printed decal can be heated up with a hairdryer to aid stretching around a bend, but not easy.

MM
Hi - ta for the info on LG decs - I did not know that..

I dont fancy the hair dryer approach as in my experience, the problem lies with having a trianglular shaped too much vinyl crease.  Im guessing heating is good for stretching and getting getting extra shaping but not removing excess, like in the case where you are going around a set of forks..??

ta,

Paul

punkdSICO

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 05:16 PM »
Here is another pic where someone has done what Im trying to achieve:

Any thoughts?  Stanly Knife / hair dryer / something else??

ta

Paul

punkdSICO

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 06:15 PM »
Ive updated the first post to include my solution..

thanks MM..

Paul
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 06:17 PM by punkdSICO »

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Decals around fork corners - how do you do it? (With SOLUTION)
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 06:46 PM »
I gave up with my Jag decals, just couldn't get em to follow all the contours so ended up fitting em lower than I really wanted.

punkdSICO

Just included a picture of my attempt (top of the thread).  its not 100% but the picture makes it look worst than it is.  In the flesh, you would not notice unless being really critical..

ta

Paul

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:

I find a bit of ass sweat from a young boy helps

punkdSICO

I find a bit of ass sweat from a young boy helps
Im not exactly young but my butt is quite sweaty..  Ill give it a go next time  :)

Paul

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
That tin can looks like its about to topple over!!!   :shocked:

punkdSICO

That tin can looks like its about to topple over!!!   :shocked:
yeah, it was a bit of a balancing act  :-\

Paul

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
looks good.

I'll bet that TA has rub-on's instead of printed decals.

Use the hairdryer after you've done the straight bit, to heat and stretch the bit around the bend.

Some vinyl is also designed to shrink with heat, see vinyl wrapped cars!

MM
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Decals around fork corners - how do you do it? (With SOLUTION + Pic)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx