gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 04:32 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  How to; Twin pull brakes problem solver.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How to; Twin pull brakes problem solver.  (Read 1100 times)

Offline aditup2004

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
How to; Twin pull brakes problem solver.
« on: June 27, 2006, 10:56 PM »
I have suceesfully fitted a Bottom half of a giro cable, upside down, to enable a twin pull brake to be used without a Giro.
#1 You need to cut off the nipples, on the "twin ends", remove the outer cable.
#2 You will need one of these levers, as they have a cable "grip" built in to lever itself;

#3 You will also need 2 of these nipples, normally supplied with a twin pull brake;

#4 offer up the cable to the frame, to establish where it is going sit, in relation to the cable "anchors", then cut 2 cable outers of equal length, then fit to the "twin" cables.

#5 fit the cable to the lever (do not tighten yet) and to the brake calipers (release the tension from the return sprins 1st)
#6 pull the cables tight towards the calipers, ensure all outers are seated correctly, then secure the nipples, but try to leave a few mm spare to allow the calipers to return to rest position when the brake is released.
#7 apply a little adjustment to the return springs to take up the cable slack.
#8 Screw the adjuster on the lever the midway position, then secure the cable (do not cut off the spare cable yet)
#9 Check brake operation, making any required adjustments (you may want to apply more or less spring pressure at this stage)
#10 When you are happy, snip off any excess cable and secure the cable "splitter" to the frame.

Hope I have not confused peeps too much, but this is long deliberated problem on my part, so I am happy with the result.
Ad  :daumenhoch:

Sanmarcopizza

Re: How to; Twin pull brakes problem solver.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 07:41 AM »
Nice ! Just one question. Why ? You no likey straddle wire ? Oh OK, that's 2 questions.

theRuler

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 09:26 AM »
one more question, why dont you like gyros?
a properly setup gyro is more effective than a single cable

Offline aditup2004

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 09:43 AM »
I ain't got no cable mounts on the frame to anchor the cable and I could not find any "bolt on" types for the correct size tubing.
The cable mounts you see are for the twin cable and are not in line to mount a bridge cable.

Offline aditup2004

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 09:53 AM »
I hate Giro's, they give the brake a mushy, vague feel. Maybe if you spend a lot more money, they improve, but being a complete novice who can only just ride without stabalizers, I don't need a giro. (no bar spins here I'm afraid  :LolLolLolLol: )

Andy

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 09:59 AM »
one more question, why dont you like gyros?
a properly setup gyro is more effective than a single cable

a properly set up straight cable is far superior to a properly set up gyro in my opinion

unless your barspinning like crazy an oddy slick or nokon cable minus a gyro will suit your needs

andy

theRuler

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 10:00 AM »
the vagueness of a brake is often relieved by the double cable setup of the gyro!
just the standard gyro should be ok.

the reason why a gyro provides more effective braking, is because there is double the amount of cable
thats not an opinion either.

nice looking bike btw

Andy

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 10:04 AM »

the reason why a gyro provides more effective braking, is because there is double the amount of cable
thats not an opinion either.

ok, well i was just talking from personal experience, at the end of the day my straight run cable stops my bike perfectly

andy

Offline aditup2004

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 10:06 AM »
The bike was built from "cheap" parts I had lying around, or bought on the "cheap"
It is for a neighbour who had his stolen a few weeks ago.
His Uncle (also a neighbour) has helped me out a lot in the past, so it is a returned favour really.
It only stands me at about Ł70 as I got a lot of bits from a bunkrupt auction some weeks ago.

theRuler

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 10:12 AM »
ok, well i was just talking from personal experience, at the end of the day my straight run cable stops my bike perfectly

thats the main thing
most modern bikes are "mid weight" now, so you dont have to eek every last n/m of stopping power out of your back brake. even a v brake will do!
back in the days of 45 pound bikes things were different.

but if you are keen on "ultimate stopping power" then run a gyro with twin lower cables.
also gyro cables are very well made, like the oddy slicks

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 10:19 AM »
yep, twin lower oddy slics with the wee gyro friendly nipples (huh huh, huh huh, nipples....) (not the linear version) and a dragonfly gemini upper cable.
works a treat and also real solid & responsive.
bp.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  How to; Twin pull brakes problem solver.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx