gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 07:45 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  So where were you all when the gate dropped??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: So where were you all when the gate dropped??  (Read 9023 times)

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: So where were you all when the gate dropped??
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2005, 11:43 PM »
Here is my pledge.

2 Months, and we will have RADBMX.CO.UK race gear....

darren

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2005, 11:48 PM »
in spandex?? one size fits all.

mightymini

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2005, 11:56 PM »
in spandex?? one size fits all.
i think your asking a bit much of spandex.

a nice rad race top in a old school design (hutch factory with stars on sleeve) rad fatory team.

Bren Gunn

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2005, 08:25 AM »
Imagine the sponsors...

Stella, Pot Noodle, Benson & Hedges, The Kebab King, etc, etc...

Bren ;D

Jazzchimp

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2005, 09:08 AM »
Here is my pledge.

2 Months, and we will have RADBMX.CO.UK race gear....

Make it retro, and padded!!!

Jazzchimp

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2005, 09:20 AM »
OK, and I'm sorry to have a go - NO ACTUALLY I'M NOT!!!

If you didn't race, you missed out!!

It cost a grand total of £5 to enter and if you were worried about the 'technicality' of the track then just roll round - surely you can do that!!?! I did!!

I lined up with with the likes of John Stockwell, Tim Print and the Awesome Mightimini and i think i came last, last but one and last, but I don't care. These guys were pros BITD - if they can't beat me then they should get a kick up the arse!

I have not ridden for 19 years (I know it shows) but I raced my hero's and you guys didn't!

No excuses, you have 1 year. Build that race bike OS/NS I don't care, most of you already have one, save up £5 to enter (equivalent of 1x pk of fags) and lets see if we cant get at least 40 O'Schoolers on the gate next year!

mightymini

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2005, 10:51 AM »
i run in the 30+/masters and i occasionally get to share the gate with geth, which is like been in the same car race as nigel mansel but less facial hair  ;D

scary_leary

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2005, 01:08 PM »
Jazz you’re a great guy,
But if people don’t wanna race so be it, these meets are all about enjoying yourself…
either riding their bikes or standing behind the fence twiddling with their dicks..im just glad people turned up, a lot of us traveled along way..and deserve credit for that.

If we start moaning coz people don’t race, a lot more people wont show,
for fear of being belittled after.
I don’t wanna sound like a dick twiddler (not other peoples anyway) as the next meet I will ride again, be it freestyle or race..like I said previous it was the 1st meet I haven’t ridden and yes i feel i missed out, but it has too be a relaxed choice.

dial8d

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2005, 01:23 PM »
I can kinda see both sides of argument.

This was the 1st OS race event i had been to, and I was a bit disappointed on the day that not many people rode.  I thought that was main point of it........re-creating ther past, and seeing our bikes back in glorious action etc.

However, having seen the number of casualties being carted away on the Sunday, the track was very daunting.  I was crapping myself every time i went out there.

mightymini

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2005, 03:02 PM »
mr chimp problem is a common one nowadays, usually found in younger people but it does sometimes also manisfest itself with some members of the older generation. what it is it is an addiction to adrenalin, the drug like affects of adrenalin can be compared to mdma, whilst taking your place on the gate a fear of the unknown takes over and your legs become like jelly, but once it is all over a euphoric feeling takes over leading you to want to do it again and for the people around you to experience the same feeling.  :D ;D :o ;D ;D 8)

Flying_fox

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2005, 06:47 PM »
I've never been able to go to race meet and not enter. Every week I race against people who I had posters of on my bedroom wall when I was a kid,  I'm racing Geth, Tony Pitman etc... How cool is that!

It was an honour to race against Jamie Vince, Lee Alexander, Keith Wilson, Silly Sid and Shooter, it was even an honour to get put into the fence by the 1984 Superclass world champ in the 30+ open main.

Jazzchimp

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2005, 08:44 PM »
Scary, you have a very good point - I don't want to bust any balls over it. Just felt that people may have been afraid to enter incase they had the pi55 ripped. These are the one's I'd like to convert. There is no shame and no-one will take the mickey. It was superb that people got involved and so many turned up. Show and shine, race or simple watch not a problem, we're all one happy movement and I will never judge. I simply don't want people to look back in 5 years and wish they had rode cos I wish I had never hung up my bike in 86.

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2005, 08:53 PM »
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaw ill get some tissues........ ;)
I want to touch ORB

scary_leary

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2005, 09:16 PM »
hey no worries jazz, we'll finish this on the track.. at the next meet  ;)

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2005, 09:17 PM »
jazz i think if it had been just a radbmx meeting with only members and no public watching there would have been a lot more riding. i think the fact that many of us have'nt really been on a bike much over the years and the thought of a load of people watching you would put a few off.
dave the bmxing gypo

pinhead

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2005, 10:49 PM »
I have to say I did think more of you would ride and there is no shame in rolling round if that’s what you want to do. It’s nicer to see everyone come in safe than come off! I would have had a go but I’m kind of band!!!  :-[ ;D Plus I spent most of the day filming you guys a very important job! (least that’s what I’m told!! :-\) as for the public if your worried about if you come off I don’t think there was one person that came off then got up and rode in that didn’t get clapped just for finishing. I had friends with me that live down there had never been to watch any bmx like that now they are looking forward to next years

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2005, 11:55 PM »
we all had great fun all weekend, the best bit for me is hanging out with mates having a laugh, doing silly things like midnight torch track riding, and a few beers, those that didnt race also had a blinder aswell i'm sure

i raced for seven years back in the day so its no big deal racing now, after sunday nights acohol consumption i can undersatnd why most would rather just chill out and soak up the atmosphere

pissed of i missed the beach cruise and swim, will try and fit it in next year

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2005, 12:12 AM »
I enjoy all aspects of the meet, the social bit, show and shine and racing. However that track was a bit too much for the old school bikes imo, I tried as best as I could to keep my wheels on the ground because when they lifted off I wasn`t sure which way I was going to land !

If we want to race on todays tracks we should be thinking about using new school race bikes, they are more stable and stronger, and herefore safer too, don`t flame me though it`s just my opinion  ;)
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

holeshotter

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2005, 12:52 PM »
I enjoy all aspects of the meet, the social bit, show and shine and racing. However that track was a bit too much for the old school bikes imo, I tried as best as I could to keep my wheels on the ground because when they lifted off I wasn`t sure which way I was going to land !

If we want to race on todays tracks we should be thinking about using new school race bikes, they are more stable and stronger, and herefore safer too, don`t flame me though it`s just my opinion  ;)

Are the tracks really that bad nower days??? Or have you/we just lost our bottle? Is there any site or any one got any pics of Bournemouth track. I think I wanna have a go at a race if not this year def next year cause I have to build a bike for it. i got a mate who has an MRD in his garage and I think he would race too. The tracks can't be that bad surely?? Are they?... Hope not!?

mightymini

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2005, 06:10 PM »
the tracks are defo not for old school bikes, but its still a good laugh. dont forget the new tracks are a new skill to learn.

rukus

« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2005, 08:11 PM »
us49/b3.jpg[/img]

muttley

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2005, 08:15 PM »
the tracks are defo not for old school bikes

One word: 'Dirtyvans'  ;)

rukus

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2005, 08:17 PM »
 what is trying to be said here,from tha"o/s,bitd"brigade.!!!???
 ""WE AINT AS YOUNG AS WE USED TO BE,AND,TWENTY ODD YEARS AGO I would have.................""!!!

mightymini

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2005, 08:46 PM »
the tracks are defo not for old school bikes

One word: 'Dirtyvans'  ;)
yep. and jay kenning on the hutch regular finalist in the masters, he says he finds it very hard on his os bike and dosnt know how i manage to do a full season on a os bike. all season all ive heard is you need a new bike.
the old bikes will goe around these tracks, but i think the new bikes are designed to do it better. 

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  So where were you all when the gate dropped??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx