gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 02:17 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  ripper clean up bare alloy any tips ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: ripper clean up bare alloy any tips ?  (Read 7720 times)

Moza

Re: ripper clean up bare alloy any tips ?
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 04:59 PM »
What do you need to know ? about the serial number or decals ?
I tried to date my frame the number is PK70069 ive asked Scot and he replied with what I posted. The decals on mine are black with pale blue kind of shadowing is that original. Ive only ever really noticed full pale blue decals

Well the good old "How to date a Ripper" debate... There are 2 lines of thought here, firstly I've talked to the OM in person and he confirmed the date stamps were infact random, but lets not forget he's been shall we say "busy"  :D. Anyway the 2nd thought is this, all 79's were pre serial apart from the ones made in December which were stamped with PK2... now a few people have talked to guys who worked for OM on these bikes and the thinking for the date stamping is this.
There a few other that were specials "team" frames that had unique stamping also.

78 (JUs, BD-III's). No SN's.
79 (RTT,PK, DB-IVs'). No SN till later in the year, started with 2xxxx.
80 3x
81 4x
82 5x
83 6x
84 7x

so based on this yours would be an 84 and also has the correct decals for this.  :daumenhoch:

Thanks for that..........funny you know more than the main man !!!!

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 05:31 PM »
A lot of it's common knowledge pal for those into SE  :daumenhoch:
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 07:59 PM »
Wow, that info is very useful to know :)

My ripper which has been a long time in the making has a Serial starting with PK 2...

It was bare alloy when I bought it but had electric blue paint remnants inside the BB & Headtube.

I didnt realise that it was so old  :shocked: and have probably fitted parts to it that are far too new for it  :-[

Will get some pics up when its finally finished, but any tips on the correct rims, brakes, stem, bars etc would be very helpful.

Ive fitted Blue Araya 7x's, DC Tech 2's, '81 DC 900 on the front and '83 DC1000 on the rear. Kashimax RS saddle, Suntour power stem & Win bars.

The headset I believe is original, its chrome and had a dirt skirt fitted but dont know the manufacturer.
The guy also gave me some tiny red alloy bars that I have sold as they looked naff, and an SR Bubbletop stem thats a bit rough.

Any advice would be appreciated

NathanRelton

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 08:10 PM »
I think you should let me have it :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  ripper clean up bare alloy any tips ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx