gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 12:34 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Headset keeps loosening.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Headset keeps loosening.  (Read 1880 times)

Hellcat

Headset keeps loosening.
« on: May 19, 2012, 06:56 PM »
Right, got an Eastern Element 06 frame (bearings not integrated) / MacNeil forks, WTP stem with a gyro with 1 larger spacer between headset & top gyro ring.

I can get it tight as can be, then go out riding for an hour or two. Nothing heavy, just beginner tricks, 180 hops, rollbacks, baby airs, drop ins, etc. Pretty much every time I come back there's 1mm play in the headset / rocking on the front wheel. What's goin on? How can I stop it?

It's livable, just irritating, can get it super tight before going out, but it never stays that way.

Any ideas / suggestions?

Thanx.

:)

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Headset keeps loosening.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 07:08 PM »
Is it a star nut in the fork? Is it moving up the steerer tube ?

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 07:28 PM »
Sorry to have to ask.....

Are the bearings the right way up?  You wouldn't be the first person to do it. It all goes together, headset tightens nicely in the shed then as you ride the bearings crush and everything loosens up.

Second stupid question, you are tightening the stem allen bolts up nice and tight yeah? the top nut/centre nut/whatever you want to call it, is only there to adjust the headset. Stem pinch bolts do the real work.

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 07:32 PM »
Is it a star nut in the fork? Is it moving up the steerer tube ?

This ^

Or.... are there enough spacers below the stem, tighten it down then undo and remove the top cap, if the top of the fork steerer is flush with the top of the stem bung another spacer in  :daumenhoch:

Ideally the top of the stem should be a couple of mm above the top of the fork steerer
2 minutes turkish...

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 07:34 PM »
Rob also has a good point  :daumenhoch:

Got the warning that another reply had been posted, but posted anyway  ;D

2 minutes turkish...

Hellcat

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 07:46 PM »
I don't think it's a star nut in the fork. The top bolt fits straight into the fork.

The stem pinch bolts are very tight.

I followed Youtube how tos / pdfs while I was installing, so pretty sure everything's the right way up.

At the mo there's no spacer below the top bolt. I'm going have a reassemble & report back.

Thanks everyone... :daumenhoch:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 07:52 PM »
You don't need a spacer under the top bolt, you may need another spacer under the stem to stop the steerer from 'topping out' inside the stem if you get my drift?

As Betty mentioned, you need a gap of some sort between top of stem and top of steerer.

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 08:10 PM »
is fekking annoying.. happens on the national freestyler with 2 different headsets and 2 different forks !

Hellcat

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 09:56 PM »
You don't need a spacer under the top bolt, you may need another spacer under the stem to stop the steerer from 'topping out' inside the stem if you get my drift?

As Betty mentioned, you need a gap of some sort between top of stem and top of steerer.

Thanks for spotting & clarifying... :daumenhoch:

Put another spacer under the stem & it all feels very tight now. Fingers crossed... :)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 10:27 PM »
Sooo......

Just to clarify;  You've loosened the stem clamp bolts, given the top nut a nip and done the stem clamp bolts back up. That should be it.

There is one more thing - did you fit the headset cups yourself? there is always the possibility that they didn't go all the way home and each time you go riding you're hammering the cups home bit by bit. Sooner or later they'll hit home and your problem will go away.

Let's hope it's sorted now though  :daumenhoch:

Hellcat

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 10:44 PM »
Sooo......

Just to clarify;  You've loosened the stem clamp bolts, given the top nut a nip and done the stem clamp bolts back up. That should be it.

There is one more thing - did you fit the headset cups yourself? there is always the possibility that they didn't go all the way home and each time you go riding you're hammering the cups home bit by bit. Sooner or later they'll hit home and your problem will go away.

Let's hope it's sorted now though  :daumenhoch:

I took it all to bits to make sure I had all the bearings in the right way up, then cleaned & re-greased...& I added another spacer under the stem. Feels much tighter now so hopefully it's sorted. ;)

I didn't fit the cups, the frame came with them in, & looks well ridden.

Hellcat

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 03:37 PM »
 :daumenhoch: All sorted, just back from a good Ali park session, still rock solid.

What I was doing wrong:

1: not having enough spacer below the stem, so the top bolt was flush, and not pressing down.

2: fastening the pinch bolts first, before the top bolt, so it didn't have chance to press down.

Yippee!

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 11:25 PM »
Cool. All sorted  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Headset keeps loosening.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx