gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 08:40 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  ACS fixed hub help
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: ACS fixed hub help  (Read 1221 times)

photosbydylan

ACS fixed hub help
« on: May 21, 2012, 10:46 PM »
Hi, recently got hold of some wheels to use for racing for my daughters Kuwahara. Wheels are apparently Ukai (no ID but do look like my old Ukai's) laced to an ACS hub on the rear. The only identifying ID on the rear hub other than ACS is a logo that looks like "RLAL".

I was told it was easy to put a freewheel on but it has a fixed wheel 16t Suntour rear cog held on by a large circlip. Once removed the cog has 3 lugs or notches which locate it in 3 notches on the hub, its definatley a fixie.

I would like to use these wheels as they seem pretty good, are well built and as my daughter may loose interest quickly I dont really want to spend a lot more cash.

So can I convert this easily, cheaply and quickly to a freewheel or I am better off advertising the wheels here on RadBMX and either selling them or swapping them for another set of wheels?

Cheers, Dylan

If anyone is interested they are black rims, black hubs and gold spokes.

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: ACS fixed hub help
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 10:52 PM »
Pictures would really help.

ACS did a freecoaster conversion kit that used a 3 lug freewheel.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 11:00 PM by Stidds »

photosbydylan

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 09:06 PM »
Cheers for this, I will post some pix over the weekend. I have not actually put the wheels on the bike and tried to ride with them so do not know if it actually freewheels, I will let you know.

I guess the next thing is, obviously they are, I'm assuming a tad unusual and also not right for racing, especially new school. So what are they worth, laced to Ukai's (no markings) and can I sell them here or swap for suitable race wheels?

Cheers, Dylan

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 11:23 AM »
Cheers for this, I will post some pix over the weekend. I have not actually put the wheels on the bike and tried to ride with them so do not know if it actually freewheels, I will let you know.

I guess the next thing is, obviously they are, I'm assuming a tad unusual and also not right for racing, especially new school. So what are they worth, laced to Ukai's (no markings) and can I sell them here or swap for suitable race wheels?

Cheers, Dylan

They would be a good freestyle wheel, so have a look through what has sold before and figure out a price that you are happy with, maybe put them into the trade section or if you are really stuck put them on gayBay as the market will find their value for you  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

photosbydylan

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 11:26 AM »
HI, I have had another good look at these and they are in my eyes, maybe unridden. They are true, and even the seals on the front hub look like new. A few rust spots where the spokes have touched but surface really and could easily be sorted. The wheel edges have chips, I think probably from storage or being mounted and rolled around.

Pix are as follows;

Pair

Rear Hub

RL Edge

Ukai rims

Rim detail

Joytech Sealed Front Hub

Front Wheel

I will be putting these over on For Sale

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  ACS fixed hub help

gfxgfx
gfx gfx