gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975645 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6349 Members - Latest Member: Kev667 July 07, 2024, 02:13 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  trickstar frame differences
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: trickstar frame differences  (Read 8976 times)

trickydeno

trickstar frame differences
« on: May 17, 2012, 09:13 PM »
i got 2 usa made trickstars here,i know hutch serial numbers are abit of a minefield,but the chrome frame is 064,the black frame 074.this should indicate june 84 - july 84 respectively.notice the difference on the frame platform tubing.it is said supposedly that the frames with the platform tubing that stops flush with the stays are usually later jap made frames.but these are made in the same factory a month apart(supposedly)and are different  :-\

then there's the rear frame standers,again on the chrome star they are further back than the black one,another overseas made characteristic.
any thoughts from hutch bofs out there.......terry(wildon)  :)

trickydeno

Re: trickstar frame differences
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 09:15 PM »
oh and before anyone mentions it.......i know the fork decals are on wrong  ;)

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 09:20 PM »
Where is the rear brake bridge? If its welded on top of the seat stay tubes it's a jap 86 model.
If the plate is welded between the seat stay tubes it is a USA frame.

Also on jap frames the serial number has a baseball type symbol by the serial but these have been known to be removed so people can sell them as us made frames.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 09:27 PM »
Looking at your frames the chrome one looks like a jap one and the black one looks like a us one.
The serials don't really count as the Japan made frames started of at 0001 so your frame number could be for a jap frame.
I have a jap trickstar that is frame number 0007  :daumenhoch:

trickydeno

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 09:46 PM »
Looking at your frames the chrome one looks like a jap one and the black one looks like a us one.
The serials don't really count as the Japan made frames started of at 0001 so your frame number could be for a jap frame.
I have a jap trickstar that is frame number 0007  :daumenhoch:

no baseball though stu.every jap made star i've seen has had the baseball symbol

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 09:51 PM »
Differences  ::)

Trickstar 1 = cool   :coolsmiley:

Trickstar II = cool ,,,,,if you have a fetish for wheelbarrows  :crazy2:

:LolLolLolLol:

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 09:54 PM »
Mmm very strange. You must agree that it does have all the jap trade marks though. We need the king of hutch terry Wildon to put us straight!

Or throw another spanner into the works!  :LolLolLolLol:

If it is a USA made one then I have learnt something. There are a fair few threads on the museum about the differences. And I can't remember a USA one being like that. But I could be wrong. I have been wrong many a time before on here and made to eat my words!!  :2funny: :2funny:

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 09:58 PM »
Trick Stars have so many variations it's untrue .. it's actually hard to find 2 the same!
Jap made ones do have the platform flush with the uprights but so do some US ones.  Taiwan made ones do not .. they are longer like most the US ones.  Jap made ones have really shit welds but Tai are as good as US.

I agree with what you say about the serial with the first 2 numbers the month and the third the year but it makes no difference at all as far as frame characteristics.  each factory worker must have just done what ever they wanted.

Here is one of mine that has both extended and flush platform on either side   :idiot2:

I have a big problem on another one of mine with the brake bridge .. its too high up the seat stays for the brakes to work ..

compare the position to this one

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:01 PM by wildon »

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 09:59 PM »
With the Pro racer frames ,,I thought  they go

recessed brake plate ,,no serial and the 123 serial numbers are American ,

,,the baseball stamped are Jap

and the non baseball and brake plate on the top of the seatstays are Taiwan made  :)

Don't know fook all about Trickstars though  :D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:02 PM by Hunterdubber »

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 10:00 PM »
Where is the rear brake bridge? If its welded on top of the seat stay tubes it's a jap 86 model.
If the plate is welded between the seat stay tubes it is a USA frame.

Mine's  a U.S. made '85 model and the brake bridge is welded on top.

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 10:00 PM »
My US Trickstar has no serial no.
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 10:03 PM »
My US Trickstar has no serial no.

some say there were pre serial ones .. others think they are a mistake with 2 blank drops being welded on .. like some have 2 serials .. one on each side

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 10:03 PM »
Also U.S made had the frame standers running level with the top tube,where as overseas ,the standers angled upwards slightly towards the rear.

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 10:05 PM »
white one is jap, blue is US

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 10:17 PM »
Look at the front end. The triangle holes are different sizes on both those frames.  :shocked:

My baseball stamped frame has really tidy welds. Unless the first batch were made to look quality to past the hutch approval. And then got worse as they went into full production. Who knows.

That brake bridge is shocking!  :LolLolLolLol: 
And the different size platform tubes. Perhaps one side is us made and the other jap made?

I'm off to find my file!!  :daumenhoch:

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 10:23 PM »

Terry you got the link to the Hutchins interview from a couple of years ago? Was a very good read, had several different metal shops welding em up. It was slap em together and get em sold. The Voris one was very interesting as well, he was welding for a few bike manufacturers at the time, frames coming out with the wrong company dropouts on.

trickydeno

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 10:35 PM »
Mmmm them platform tubes are abit mad terry,when you see that makes you realise they just weren't bothered,just get em out quick.yours was prob made at 3.55pm on friday when they wanted to get on the piss for the weekend  :)
certain my chrome frame set is us made.....like you say just depends on the day which ever factory or welder was on it and how they wanted to make it :-\

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 10:36 PM »
Really??

That's shocking!! I've got to read that.  :LolLolLolLol:

trickydeno

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 10:39 PM »

Terry you got the link to the Hutchins interview from a couple of years ago? Was a very good read, had several different metal shops welding em up. It was slap em together and get em sold. The Voris one was very interesting as well, he was welding for a few bike manufacturers at the time, frames coming out with the wrong company dropouts on.

not seen that one pete,but that explains it all if thats what was going on.seen the haney clip,but doesn't say much about actual manufacturing.just explains frame differences etc.

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 10:43 PM »
At the end of the day does it really matter?
Just as long as the frame is straight and has good clean welds,symmetrical tubes and you can fit your brake on with it touching the rim.  Then surely it is a good trickstar.

It makes you wonder why everyone wants a us made one after seeing some of those examples. God knows what the poor jap ones looked like!!   :shocked:

Offline Darren KAP

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 10:46 PM »

I love all Trick Stars even the wheel barrow model  :smitten: :smitten:    :LolLolLolLol:    not forgetting  the Disc Star  :D   
Life .......... Your here for a good time not a long time

trickydeno

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 10:50 PM »
Differences  ::)

Trickstar 1 = cool   :coolsmiley:

Trickstar II = cool ,,,,,if you have a fetish for wheelbarrows  :crazy2:

:LolLolLolLol:

:LolLolLolLol:  only just seen this christian   ;D

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 10:54 PM »
Trickstar 2 =luggage rack.

They would look lovely with some panniers fitted!   :LolLolLolLol:

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 05:39 AM »

Looking at some the USA stuff made today,now, you can see why it went abroad  ::) I have read many interviews and spoken to many people from bitd who were involved in making the frames and they all said when it went boom it was get it built and get it shipped. The main man from se even said in joe kid they had 2 years of back orders before he even made the first frame. Which reminds me on a side note, when at inter bike last year met the guy from se who welded the first ever Hoffman condor. How mads that.

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 09:49 PM »
I have guys making stuff every day 2 my designs  ::) Every 1 I c finished is slightly different  :2funny: Depends on the person and mood of the guy building it. If I was jig building these on piece work as they did bitd u would move the supports on that platform about every time 2 c just where u could get them 2 fit just 2 make the day more interesting  ::)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  trickstar frame differences

gfxgfx
gfx gfx