gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 12:20 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  BMX grand tour
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: BMX grand tour  (Read 319 times)

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
BMX grand tour
« on: May 24, 2012, 08:44 PM »
I was reading in the paper today that Ben Fogel plans to swim the ATLANTIC!!! ocean  :shocked:

Anyway, it got me thinking. Just been chatting with my brother and was wondering about cycling across America on a bmx.  :D
I recon it could be a right crack! A decent bike, a motorhome full of spares and beers, take in as many ramps, pools and parks along the way as possible. Couple of sponsors, a little blog, meet some fellow riders and possibly a book at the end of it  ;)

I know road trips are all the rage in bmx magazines but i dont know of anyone who has done this.

What do you recon guys?  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: BMX grand tour
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 09:31 PM »
i'll do it if your paying.

moley

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 01:43 PM »
Shortest is 3,092 miles - Florida to Sand Diego   :shocked:

Astoria, Washington, to Yorktown, Virginia
The TransAmerica trail, established in 1976 to celebrate the U.S. bicentennial, stretches 4,262 miles from coast to coast. Still the most-used cross-country route, the ride takes about three months if cyclists take some time for sightseeing and is best ridden from May through September. Snow falls year-round on some of the mountains in the Rockies, where the highest pass is above 11,500 feet. Campgrounds and services are available around cities and tourist attractions, and along much of the trail from Missouri to Virginia. Portions of the western stretch, particularly through the Rockies and to the Kansas border, require planning ahead and carrying extra water.

Jacksonville, Forida, to San Diego, California
The 3,092-mile Southern Tier trail is the shortest route from coast to coast. This ride is best taken from early fall into late spring to avoid the high temperatures common in the south during the summer; however, days are shorter during the winter, which leaves less time for riding. The highest pass on the route, at 8,228 feet, is in New Mexico. The ride is mostly flat from Austin, Texas to Florida. Parts of the western leg have few campgrounds or services, and one 144-mile stretch between Marathon and Comstock, Texas, has no water or food.

Anacortes, Washington, to Bar Harbor, Maine
The Northern Tier route covers 4,286 miles. The trail, best ridden from late spring to late fall because some stretches close during the winter, follows the Mississippi River in the Midwest. The trail crosses into Canada on the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park and again in New York for a ride along the Niagara River to the falls. The highest pass on the western portion of the route is Sherman Pass, at 5,575 feet. In the east, The Kancamagus Pass at 2,855 feet is the highest. Services and campsites are plentiful for most of the route except in Montana, where they may be a day's ride apart.

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 02:12 PM »
Wow cool info  :daumenhoch:

I fancy starting in NY state then maybe pick up one of those trails and head for california. would be so cool to end in Astoria though and visit some of the scenes form the goonies  :4_17_5:

Check my signature  ;)
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

moley

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 02:50 PM »
Make sure you've got a comfy seat  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  BMX grand tour

gfxgfx
gfx gfx