gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 04:38 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Old school gear ratio advice
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Old school gear ratio advice  (Read 8289 times)

Threaders

Old school gear ratio advice
« on: May 10, 2012, 10:19 AM »
Hello all :)
I have been riding this for a while now and havent paid any attention to the gear ratio that I have been running. I am relatively new to old school bmx building / riding and wondered if I could improve the ridability of this old school ride:

The front sprocket is 44t and the freewheel is a16t. There is a great gear ratio chart on www.bmxultra.com, but I dont really understand the fiqures it gives me. :-\
Right now, the bike rides ok, but I feel I am working pretty hard. I want it just for riding distances say 6-7 miles a few times each week. I can manage at the moment, but if I come up against any wind or hills, I am fooked.
Can I improve this at all?
I read somewhere that running a 44t to 16t results in your bike travelling 56 inches for one pedal turn so how do I improve this? I want my ride to travel 1/4 a mile for one pedal turn ;D
I am running new reissue tuffs and 20x1.75 tyres, 20inch frame.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and I dont mind experimenting with new school sprockets ect. :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Old school gear ratio advice
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 10:22 AM »
44/16 is a pretty standard ratio to be honest, you could try a 45t but i wouldn't bother going much higher  :daumenhoch:

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 10:30 AM »
 :) Try 43/16-slightly spinnier :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 10:39 AM »
sorry i missread your post, i thought you wanted to go faster.....yeah just drop down to 43  :daumenhoch:

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 10:45 AM »
as above bigger on front makes its a bit harder to pedal but you will go faster smaller on front and the opposite is true,  you could also try a 17 or 18 freewheel, think you can now get up to 21 aswell, white industries maybe? if you like the os look of the big 44 up front ,   :daumenhoch:

Offline Julian347

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 10:47 AM »
What you gain in one area by changing gearing you lose in another. Personally I'd stick with a 44t although a 43t is definitely worth a try.  :daumenhoch:

Threaders

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 11:33 AM »
Thanks guys. I am still a little confused :-\ At the moment, I find I am peddling quite fast and not traveling that much. If I want to pedal harder and travel further I need a bigger chainring up front and bigger freewheel???
Does one tooth really make that much of a difference? Sorry for being a bit dumb on this issue :daumenhoch:

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 11:48 AM »
Thanks guys. I am still a little confused :-\ At the moment, I find I am peddling quite fast and not traveling that much. If I want to pedal harder and travel further I need a bigger chainring up front and bigger freewheel???
Does one tooth really make that much of a difference? Sorry for being a bit dumb on this issue :daumenhoch:

You`ve got it and yes,1 tooth can make a difference.You are prob OK sticking with a 16T on the rear...

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 11:51 AM »

If you want to pedal harder then just increase the T on the ring whilst retaining the 16T FW.
I run a 30/12 on my NS & that is a great ratio (for me!). Not too much effort to gain speed.
But for your needs 44/43/16 should be fine... Try 3 piece cranks & experiment with arm lenghts...  :daumenhoch:

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 11:53 AM »
Just to add my NS set up includes 175 Odysseys...!!  :D

Offline MaD-RoK

• Flip-Whip
  • I think my eyeball is allergic to sperm.
    • +100km BMX Marathon. Donate here....
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 11:56 AM »
Stick with a 44/16 dude. To go further with less rotations you will find it mega hard on any hills, what you have is a great all rounder. Unless you fit a derailler......  :wtf:

Threaders

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 12:23 PM »
Thanks guys. I will definatly try a different chainring up front, but one thing I still dont get is if I need to go bigger up front, then why have I been advised to change from 44 to 43, surley thats smaller isnt it?? :-[
Your patience and help is very much appreciated :daumenhoch:
I think I saw someone fit a derailler on an old school ride before Id love to try it :D

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 12:24 PM »
Drop the rear to 14T and run 43T on the front. That will give you less revolutions per inch travelled of the cranks. Also try 180mm crank arms instead of 175mm as Rich says.

If its just riding around that you want and to travel faster, a 24" cruiser is the way forward or live on a hill with a cable car to bring you back up  :LolLolLolLol:
BANNED

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 12:28 PM »
Also buddy, if you want to run a 2 step derailleur, you can get one of these, 17T and 18T, they use to use on the 26" Schwinn cruisers and run a 48T on the front  :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:30 PM by Londonhellboy »
BANNED

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 12:32 PM »
43/14 will be very hard to pedal and you won`t fit a 14T cog on Tuffs.

Threaders

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 12:41 PM »
I was just looking at a 14t on the bay. I would love to give it a go as I am in Norfolk and its very flat here although the winds can be a pain in the arse :) Seen plenty of 43t chainrings so will give that a try also.  Its looking like I stick with the 16t freewheel but change the chainring for one with less teeth then. I am off for a ride now, but keep your suggestions coming :daumenhoch:

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 01:14 PM »
A lot of companies are making the 14T freewheel to fit on most hubs from old school BMX inclusive of the Tuff wheels buddy  :daumenhoch:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/etc-14t-freewheel-item147100.html#info  

I run a 40T - 14T cassette rear on my Torker and find it bang on. Good for accelerating but good mid range too. For long distance pushing power though, you will need the 43T up front and Arnies legs  :D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:29 PM by Londonhellboy »
BANNED

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 01:24 PM »
A lot of companies are making the 14T freewheel to fit on most hubs from old school BMX inclusive of the Tuff wheels buddy

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/etc-14t-freewheel-item147100.html#info  

I run a 40T - 14T cassette rear on my Torker and find it bang on. Good for accelerating but good mid range too. For long distance pushing power though, you will need the 43T up front and Arnies legs  :D

;D

Threaders

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 01:35 PM »
 ;D I know what you mean about legs mate. Just got in from a ride and my thighs are screaming at me :D
I will definatly give the 14t freewheel a try and see how it goes. Lookinmg forward to a bit of tinkering and experiments :daumenhoch: Thanks for the freewheel link too

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 01:43 PM »
This will help....................maybe! :shocked:

Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 01:51 PM »
 :) Thought only AC Racing made a freewheel (14t) to fit regular hubs,they weren`t very durable. Check before you buy. :daumenhoch:

dp and Chopper Dude

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 01:52 PM »
Or if you have spoked wheels, could you use a Chopper rear wheel / hub & use the 3 speed off that? I'll check the width when I get the chance. Hmm I wonder if you can lace Z rims up to a chopper hub  :-\

Threaders

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 02:34 PM »
I want to keep my red tuffs if I can :daumenhoch: Always wanted red tuff BITD :) The gear chart looks cool but  aside from the chainring and freewheel no's, I dont get the other Numbers (the ones with decimal points in) I take it there not miles per hour :laugh:

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 02:37 PM »
I want to keep my red tuffs if I can :daumenhoch: Always wanted red tuff BITD :) The gear chart looks cool but  aside from the chainring and freewheel no's, I dont get the other Numbers (the ones with decimal points in) I take it there not miles per hour :laugh:

That's your gear ratio. ie if you went 42/14 it's the same ratio as having 45/15
So if that ratio works for you and your wheel doesn't take a 14t freewheel, go 15 with a 45 front ring!
Hope that helps :daumenhoch:
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Threaders

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 02:45 PM »
Aaahhh. I can see that from the chart, but...... What ratio am I after?? Is it the higher the number, the harder you have to pedal by anychance :) IE: 4.5 being harder to pedal than 2.81? :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Old school gear ratio advice

gfxgfx
gfx gfx