gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 20, 2024, 08:28 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  painting help
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: painting help  (Read 722 times)

motomagII

painting help
« on: May 04, 2012, 09:06 PM »
right ive just painted some forks and well pissed.lol
i spent ages stripping them and wet and drying down so they are clean and smooth as .
painted the primer 2 or 3 coats and super smooth again minty nice.left em to dry
painted em in top paint colour about 3 coats again all nice and even and minty nice .
checked em tonite really nice and clean smooth and nice
got the clearcoat out sprayed them with this as a final finish and Boom !!!!!!!!!! crazy fing paving all over the paint totally ruined .wtf

so had to strip emagain and just finished priming em again .ready for top coat tomorrow
well pissed off spent a whole week back and forth on these .
question is what the hell happened should i have not used it or what !!

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: painting help
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 09:34 PM »
sounds like the solvents in the clear coat has made the base coat react, did you use the same

paint system through all the coats :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 07:31 AM »
welcome to the world of paint reaction problems....   :LolLolLolLol:

aerosol (single pack) laquar is shite greg,  you can actually get 2 pack laquar in an aerosol,  the reaction probably wouldnt of happened with this, try ebay.... :daumenhoch:

R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Jaypeg

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 12:42 PM »
i think we have all a problem one way or the other when it comes to painting, ive had insects get stuck to my frame when it was drying on the line. ive had my frame turn brown because i was sold a dodgy batch of laquer...it gets frustrating as it is time consuming, i must admit i wont paint anything any more...
did you?
1. use the same make throughout the process, primer, paint, laquer?
2. did you key the frame?
3. did you sand the primer?
4. did you let the paint dry enough before putting on the laquer, rule of thumb for me if i can still smell paint then its not dry(can take a week)
5. spray to close to the frame?

hope you get it sorted mate...post a pic once its done, have a good one. :)

motomagII

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 01:46 PM »
bet its number 4 i dont think i have left it long enough to dry before putting laquer on .doh

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 02:19 PM »
bet its number 4 i dont think i have left it long enough to dry before putting laquer on .doh

probably greg,  use a heat gun on the basecoat at about an 18in distance to dry the basecoat quickly, the paint then dries in seconds, but keep the gun moving otherwise the paint will blister...   ;)
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  painting help

gfxgfx
gfx gfx