gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975626 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 28, 2024, 07:17 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Are all 90's GT's & Dyno's heavy?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Are all 90's GT's & Dyno's heavy?  (Read 15638 times)

Naitch

Are all 90's GT's & Dyno's heavy?
« on: April 25, 2012, 11:33 AM »
I bought a 96 Dyno NSX at the weekend, hoping to maybe do some tricks on it. Well I can bunny hop it about an inch off the floor, and that's about it. It's really heavy! I was just wondering, before I go and buy another 90's GT or Dyno if they were all heavy? If anyone could tell me what I could buy that's not insanely heavy that would be very useful. Thanks.  :daumenhoch:

whatquid

Re: Are all 90's GT's & Dyno's heavy?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 11:43 AM »
gt performer, dyno slammer, were good bikes that were not all that heavy, but trying to find a 90s one is harder than you think.............

Naitch

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 11:52 AM »
gt performer, dyno slammer, were good bikes that were not all that heavy, but trying to find a 90s one is harder than you think.............

Thanks,

I really like the look of the 90's GT's & Dyno's, which is why im interested in one. I do of course like the earlier ones too, but to get me started I don't want to be breaking the bank just yet. I just didn't consider the weight of them.

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 11:53 AM »
Early 90's there were a load of lighter bikes - 1" headsets though. If you can find a mid/late GT race frame they're light, but if you're going for weight weenie, the late 90's/ early 2000's are not for you :) You can build up stuff that's not too heavy (but still pretty bad by todays standards) - the original set up of my DK General Lee (MK1) had DK race forks, Peregrine SP wheels, Profile cranks etc and didn't weigh too much.

You will get used to the weight though (and gain a sh1t load of upper body strength), but if you want something a bit more 'jump on and ride', get a relatively modern bike :)
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 11:56 AM »
Most Mid School bikes are hooooooofin heavy I've got and S&M Dirt Bike and it weighs about the same as my car  :idiot2:

Some Mid school ride ok  :coolsmiley:

Basic rule I follow

70's - 80's for show

90's - 00's for a wobble around/pub bike/mess around or unless your a good rider...but even some of the faithful midschool's are converting to New bikes

anything newer is good for a rider  :daumenhoch:
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

Naitch

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 12:02 PM »
Early 90's there were a load of lighter bikes - 1" headsets though. If you can find a mid/late GT race frame they're light, but if you're going for weight weenie, the late 90's/ early 2000's are not for you :) You can build up stuff that's not too heavy (but still pretty bad by todays standards) - the original set up of my DK General Lee (MK1) had DK race forks, Peregrine SP wheels, Profile cranks etc and didn't weigh too much.

You will get used to the weight though (and gain a sh1t load of upper body strength), but if you want something a bit more 'jump on and ride', get a relatively modern bike :)

Cheers mate,

I had considered that, but modern bikes just don't look like proper BMX's to me. Not enough chrome for a start!

It's probably because I'm used to a light mountain bike, and have only tried out one BMX (a HEAVY one), it's just that I didn't want to go and buy another one that also turned out to be a tank.

Naitch

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 12:10 PM »
Most Mid School bikes are hooooooofin heavy I've got and S&M Dirt Bike and it weighs about the same as my car  :idiot2:

Some Mid school ride ok  :coolsmiley:

Basic rule I follow

70's - 80's for show

90's - 00's for a wobble around/pub bike/mess around or unless your a good rider...but even some of the faithful midschool's are converting to New bikes

anything newer is good for a rider  :daumenhoch:

Interesting rule. I'm a good rider on a mountain bike, but I haven't been on a BMX for years. I just fancied getting one to ride about, and maybe do some tricks on. As I liked the look of the mid school bikes I thought that was a good place to start. That might put me in your 90's - 00's bracket.

Cheers.

whatquid

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 06:13 PM »
i grew up in the 80/90s 90s bikes are easy to ride, i found alot of the 80s frames were quite short were the 90s frames are a bit longer.....but its all about what you want to ride, either way its all good......

Leatherman

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 06:26 PM »
My 01 GT Pro Freestyle Tour is 41.2 pounds  :LolLolLolLol:
If you took it into a streetfight you could throw a tailwhip and knock out an army of attackers.

Offline GTnumber1

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 12:05 AM »
If you took it into a streetfight you could throw a tailwhip and knock out an army of attackers.

thats a 97 not a 01  :daumenhoch:

scott250

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 12:06 AM »
dont think weight will make a great deal of difference in bunny hop hight tbh.  GTs and Dynos were real short too, which made them easy to hop up into the air.  I could hop my sta fair high in the 90s, but I did get tired quicker ;D

matsoki

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 07:44 AM »
Yes is the answer.......

I have a 94 GT Performer which is a bit heavy...... and a 2000 Dyno Compe which is a outright tank!!!

Naitch

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 12:01 PM »
I'm really stuck on what to buy now. I'll probably go with a 90's GT Performer if I can get one, and then if that's too heavy I might have to get my cheque book out and get an 80's one. I've seen some really cool old school tricks that I want to try and learn, and I know I can't attempt them on my Dyno. That's why I'm paranoid about the weight. Thanks for the replies. 

Skid

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 12:03 PM »

thats a 97 not a 01  :daumenhoch:

What that man said  :daumenhoch:

I had a 99 Dyno Compe, full hi ten frame, chuffing thing left tracks in the concrete when I rode it. Sold it and got a 99 Tour 2 instead. Felt like I was floating on air when I rode it, even though it must have weighed roughly the same as that 97 Tour.

Skid

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 12:14 PM »
I'm really stuck on what to buy now. I'll probably go with a 90's GT Performer if I can get one, and then if that's too heavy I might have to get my cheque book out and get an 80's one. I've seen some really cool old school tricks that I want to try and learn, and I know I can't attempt them on my Dyno. That's why I'm paranoid about the weight. Thanks for the replies. 

Ride the Dyno for a couple of weeks, once you get used to hauling the weight around any 90's Performer will feel as light as a feather. If you get a late 90's Performer get either a 98 model (full chromo) or a Pro Performer (less hi ten than a normal one), a Tour 2 (full chromo, virtually the same frame as a Performer, only without the standing platform by the seat post). They are harder to find than a Pro Performer though, I had to get mine from USA (Costa got the only one I saw on ebay), or a Dave Volker Metal Issue which is a Tour 2 without the rear Pacman drop outs (rare as rocking horse stuff, well except for the 3 that mysteriously appeared on ebay last week, making the grand total to appear on ebay in a year erm... 3).

Here's a link to one of the guys who were selling them, he has 2, maybe he'll split them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320885458676'ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Naitch

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 02:32 PM »
Thanks for the reply mate, really good info.

There's a 98 Performer on eBay, not far from me, so I might try and get that one. I like the idea of riding the Dyno and getting used to the weight. I suspect this might even help with my mountain bike too. To be fair, I have hardly ridden it since Sunday, I might be being a bit harsh.

whatquid

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 03:23 PM »
it aint all about the pounds.......its about getting rad...i rode a zimma in the 90s and you couldnt lift it, saying that i cant lift it now......!!!!!

Naitch

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 04:11 PM »
it aint all about the pounds.......its about getting rad...i rode a zimma in the 90s and you couldnt lift it, saying that i cant lift it now......!!!!!

:) I hope you're right. The getting rad part is going to take some doing though!

Skid

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 06:04 PM »
Just read my 'helpful' post, forgot to put '99 onwards' before Pro Performer, what a dumbarse.

Naitch

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 07:45 PM »
Just read my 'helpful' post, forgot to put '99 onwards' before Pro Performer, what a dumbarse.

Thanks for the correction. Good stuff to know.  ;)

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 07:53 PM »
steer clear of the mkll general lee's

meet half ton tessie

Offline GTnumber1

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 10:00 PM »
Stay away from all gt and dyno there crap  :P

Skid

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 11:32 PM »
 ;D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Are all 90's GT's & Dyno's heavy?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx