gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 12:33 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  4 litres of chrome cleaner for 2 quid! ;)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 4 litres of chrome cleaner for 2 quid! ;)  (Read 909 times)

dp and Chopper Dude

4 litres of chrome cleaner for 2 quid! ;)
« on: April 22, 2012, 09:02 AM »
After reading the stickie on cleaning chrome frames with coke & aluminum foil, I spotted this in Tesco last night:

I've got some to get cracking on cleaning up my frame. It might be of some use for someone else too ?
Please let me know if there is a better way of cleaning up a rusty chrome frame  :)

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: 4 litres of chrome cleaner for 2 quid! ;)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 09:15 AM »
i've used oxalic acid with good results, i think it can be bought from ebay in granule form. works out far cheaper than coke. you only need to add a small amount to the water. i've also used brasso on my mongoose nickle forks which had pitting on them.

whatquid

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 05:27 PM »
i loves a quid............  :daumenhoch:

davym2112

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 03:16 PM »
i've used oxalic acid with good results, i think it can be bought from ebay in granule form. works out far cheaper than coke. you only need to add a small amount to the water. i've also used brasso on my mongoose nickle forks which had pitting on them.

Having tried the coke and tinfoil and the oxalic acid I will never use anything but the acid from now on. No matter how careful you are the tinfoil is leaving tiny scratches.
The acid does the job much better. I did a frame recently and all i did was bath it in the acid mix in a plastic bin for 24 hours and during that time a quick brush round the rusty areas with an old toothbrush.
Came up mint without hours of scrubbing  :daumenhoch:

Get it cheap in granular form off ebay.

dp and Chopper Dude

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 08:16 PM »
Nice one. Thanks for the tips about the acid. Does it make a difference if it's in granular or powder form?
I'll get some and try it next weekend.

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 08:47 PM »
pm sent bud

davym2112

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 05:33 AM »
Nice one. Thanks for the tips about the acid. Does it make a difference if it's in granular or powder form?
I'll get some and try it next weekend.

I think they are much the same. One thing to note it is better to use at least hot water to start with as the acid then dissolves instantly. I was doing a chain and it was so cold in the garage I could see the powder just sitting on the bottom of the tub and not really dissolving .

Its only a few quid for a kilo off ebay

whatquid

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 03:29 PM »
leave the coke on the chrome and stick it in the oven for that smoked chrome effect......!!!! but remember.....dont eat it..!!!!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  4 litres of chrome cleaner for 2 quid! ;)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx