gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 06:25 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  what paint to use with acs z rims stencil
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: what paint to use with acs z rims stencil  (Read 11750 times)

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
what paint to use with acs z rims stencil
« on: April 17, 2012, 01:37 PM »
i would like to know what type of paint to use when using the stencil on the wall of the  z rims. plus where can it be purchased from. cheers

rad_pitt

Re: what paint to use with acs z rims stencil
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 01:39 PM »
I just masked the wheel off and used a can of satin black  :daumenhoch:

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 01:51 PM »
hasn't the painted surface cracked with the rims being some form of plastic. i have seen it somewhere recently what is recommended, but i'm screwed if i can find where i saw it.

rad_pitt

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 01:54 PM »
Nope, the surface is fine. I don't plan to ride on them.

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 02:01 PM »
i've got some rims coming any day now. (should be anyway) but they need vapour blasting first if i can find somewhere local to me. but they will be eventually going on a rider so i take it the painted logo will rub off in time. i was hoping if i used the right stuff it may prolong the logo though

punkdSICO

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 02:02 PM »
Nope, the surface is fine. I don't plan to ride on them.
:)  Yeah, this is a real shame.  I love Zs but could never justify having some wheels that dont allow me to even ride up and down the street..

If I did get another set, I would defo make sure they dont have rim graphics..

Let us have pictures when you finish the job!!

ta,

Paul

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 02:12 PM »
Bit of a long shot but in theory you should be able to get the rims laser etched/cnc cut with the stencil design.
Once the recess is filled with paint it should last a fair old while on a rider  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 02:32 PM »
i see what your saying with the etching, but i was trying to keep the cost's down. that's why i bought the rims in need of some TLC as i got what i thought was a good deal on them, i got a mega cool deal with the hubs though.

as i got the rims cheap i was going to try some different methods of trying to bring them back to life that i wouldn't have even dared try on some expensive 1's. but after thinking about it the vapour blasting seems the quickest option. i did see a thread on here about somewhere in stockport vapour blasting some tuff's. so i may give them a phone call. but i would like somewhere closer to home 

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 02:39 PM »
That was my thread.   :daumenhoch: They are happy for people to post stuff to them but they cant give you a price until they get a good clear look at what needs doing so good pics are a must.

When looking i found "vapour blasting" was a much more appropriate search. Aqua blasting just turns up loads of cowboy cleaners with a second hand karcher machine  :2funny:

On the cnc/laser front i would have thought one full stencils worth of cutting would cost around £20 not bad when you think of the cost of stencils and spray paint  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 04:40 PM »
i've got a few things on the go at the moment and been doing a lot of research, trouble is now that i can't remember where i've seen stuff that i thought was useful. i seem to remember in your post oldschoolace, that you said they haven't a web site or email address or am i wrong.

i could be jumping the gun yet as i'm waiting on 4 parcels that hopefully will come in the next few days, so until these z rims get here i won't know the full extent of their condition, i just got told that they were just dirty and faded with age.

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 03:11 PM »
Yeah they dont have a website as yet but are working on one. At the moment they post stuff on their facebook page.

There details are:

Joseph Percival & Co

Shawcross Street
Stockport, Cheshire SK1 3EZ
United Kingdom
tel: +44 0161-480 3858
fax: +44 0161-480 7394

In theory it should be to difficult to find somewhere local to you. The process has been around for years. Alot of companies aim there attentions at vintage motorbike restoring as its great for engine blocks, frames, swing arms etc  :daumenhoch:

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 03:36 PM »
i'll have to search vapour blasting locally then, as i did the same as you and looked for aqua blasting. all that shows up is everything from bloody garden hoses to full blown power washer's.

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 11:47 AM »
If ya plan on riding them fella then maybe just use rim decals on the top surface of the rims as the early US made pat pending Z Rims have... that way you ain't worried about anything rubbing off  :daumenhoch:

John

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 11:50 AM »
sorry for the thread hijack but has anyone got the definitive Timeline details for Z rims?  as i have never bought into this early Pat pending stuff.

I had a set of Z rims back in about 82 and mine had white markings on the rims and also embost Pat Pending written on the rim........my belief is that they all had white markings on them but just got whiped off within 5 minutes of someone using a brake pad on them  ???

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 11:56 AM »
sorry for the thread hijack but has anyone got the definitive Timeline details for Z rims?  as i have never bought into this early Pat pending stuff.

I had a set of Z rims back in about 82 and mine had white markings on the rims and also embost Pat Pending written on the rim........my belief is that they all had white markings on them but just got whiped off within 5 minutes of someone using a brake pad on them  ???

Hey fella.. I bought my first pair late 1980 from Dennis Cristian at Viking Sales and Spares in Davyhulme, Manchester. They definetely did not have the stampings on the braking surface.. just the decal as pictured.
A friend of mine purchased a black pair in 1983 with the logos on the sides so I was always under the impression that when production started in the UK that was when they started putting the logos on the sides of the rims  :daumenhoch:

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 11:58 AM »
just had a thought.. maybe at the crossover point when stamping them they still had stock of pat pending rims and stamped them too.. dinno, maybe  :idiot2:

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 12:03 PM »
Here's a useless timeline fact - ACS were still making white and black stamped Z-rims in 1998, £26 a pair :)
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 12:30 PM »
Done some diggin for ya Mr Pickle.... here ya go buddy. Think the first 2 ACS Adverts are circa 1980 and the last is 1984 aslo showing the White Mike Buff Z's  :daumenhoch:

John

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 12:33 PM »
 :daumenhoch:  everyday's a school day  :daumenhoch:

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 12:39 PM »
If ya plan on riding them fella then maybe just use rim decals on the top surface of the rims as the early US made pat pending Z Rims have... that way you ain't worried about anything rubbing off  :daumenhoch:

John

i would say that there going on a rider, but that rider only consists of these z rims, high flange polished sr loose ball hubs, tuf-neck chainring and spider and standing gear forks. so a long way to go yet. when funds allow i'll search for a 80's freestyle quadangle frame. (still waiting on these z rims from the usa, so for all i know some chap from the post office maybe restoring them)

but yes if and when i get them, it is a possibility just to put a acs decal on them as i'll be running a rear brake anyway.

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 12:46 PM »
:daumenhoch:  everyday's a school day  :daumenhoch:

.... or even an "Old School Day" fella  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 01:10 PM »
your like an encyclodedia of old school bmx john, if john doesnt know it, its not worth knowing....        ;D
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 01:13 PM »
your like an encyclodedia of old school bmx john, if john doesnt know it, its not worth knowing....        ;D

I'm just a old fart with a good memory Sammy  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 10:55 PM »
they arrived to day

so after looking at them they will need vapour blasting

jolly

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 01:54 PM »
I just masked the wheel off and used a can of satin black  :daumenhoch:
dont use satin black out of can it wont stick i make paint for a living that will flake off after a while you will only have to knock it

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  what paint to use with acs z rims stencil

gfxgfx
gfx gfx