gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 12:28 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Safety Problems - Paint / Powder Coat Stripping on a 4th Floor Flat Balcony
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Safety Problems - Paint / Powder Coat Stripping on a 4th Floor Flat Balcony  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Morning all!

Today I am heading over to B&Q & Halfords to score the following:

• Industrial Rubber Gloves
  • Nitromors
  • Goggles
  • Paint brush
  • Wire Wool
  • Scraper
  • Gasket Cleaner

This is the first time I have stripped anything, so need some tips. I have been reading up about removal of Powder Coating using Nitromors and the jury seems hung. 50% say it works and 50% say it does not............people are directing to use Gasket Cleaner or Aircraft Cleaner as well as Acetone (Nail Varnish).

Not sure many Leeds retailers sell bulk tins of the last two! :)

Assuming I get all the gear, I am then stuck with the problem that I live in a central Leeds flat. I do have a balcony though! Having decided to strip a motorbike engine in the kitchen last time, I am under instructions to be outside.......... :)

So.............

Question One - Clearly I need to do my stripping on / in something. If I buy a plastic container from B&Q, will my Gasket Cleaner eat the plastic? I have watched Breaking  Bad (epic) and know some chemicals won't eat a certain plastic type.............. Any ideas? Could try and find a metal container although not sure from where

Question Two - Anything I need to be aware of or be careful with so that I don't damage the F&F?

M A N Y    T H A N K S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
This stickie seems pretty helpful, looks like they are using cardboard in the pictures with either a certain brand of Gasket Remover (permatex) or Garffiti cleaner...
 :)

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
This stickie seems pretty helpful, looks like they are using cardboard in the pictures with either a certain brand of Gasket Remover (permatex) or Garffiti cleaner...
 :)

Oops:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=54500.0

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Yeah I was going to say strip it on news paper or cardboard box.

What are you stripping ?

Sometimes it's easier to get it sand blasted

renegaderacer

Hi mate,

Firstly; I've never had trouble putting harsh chemicals in plastic containers, so I think you'd be alright.  :daumenhoch:

Secondly; just a bit of common sense really when you're stripping the frame. The chemicals are very unlikely to damage the actual frame and the wire brush shouldn't do much damage but just be careful you aren't too violent with the scraper!  :LolLolLolLol:

Finally; Nitromors is crap now! They explained it better in one of my motorbike mags but basically, the ingredient which makes it strip paint has been removed as it doesn't meet EU safety regulations or some rubbish like that! You might be better off seeing if you know anyone with an old can of paintstripper in the back of their shed somewhere or maybe try a heat gun?

Good luck!  :daumenhoch:

Giles  ;)

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply!! F&F - they seem pretty heavily coated too! I would struggle to get to a sand / wallnut blaster as I start and finish work before they open and close.

I need to get them stripped so I can send them on to sawzall for repair...

Thanks for tips on cardboard too!

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Hi mate,

Firstly; I've never had trouble putting harsh chemicals in plastic containers, so I think you'd be alright.  :daumenhoch:

Secondly; just a bit of common sense really when you're stripping the frame. The chemicals are very unlikely to damage the actual frame and the wire brush shouldn't do much damage but just be careful you aren't too violent with the scraper!  :LolLolLolLol:

Finally; Nitromors is crap now! They explained it better in one of my motorbike mags but basically, the ingredient which makes it strip paint has been removed as it doesn't meet EU safety regulations or some rubbish like that! You might be better off seeing if you know anyone with an old can of paintstripper in the back of their shed somewhere or maybe try a heat gun?

Good luck!  :daumenhoch:

Giles  ;)

THANKS GILES!!!  :) :)

Your Nitromors answer probably explains why half the people say it works, and half say that it does not! If I could find the active ingredient that does the melting I would be well on my way.

May just get a plastic scraper (hard palstic) to avoid any damage.

Am actually very excited to start doing this - normally I would have a hangover and be rolling about moaning! :)

Will keep you posted, if you see any news articles on explosions in central Leeds - delete this post! :)

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
Don't set light to Nitromors when you have your head over it as it makes you black out.

Did that when I was a kid around the time I stuck a dart in my leg and drilled my c o c k

... carry on  :) very satisying is a bit or stripping... burns like hell on your skin tho.
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Setting light to it / blacking out / drilling my doodle doo.............  :wtf:

I was not thinking any of that was on the menu! :)

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Permatex Gasket Remover can be highly dangerous it comes with a cancer warning on the can and has been proven to do so-good stuff don't get me wrong but wear proper protection,mask gloves etc and use it outdoors when it's not windy if you can  :daumenhoch:

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Thanks!! That phrase - SAFETY IS NO ACCIDENT!

Just looking now at B&Q - I will recreate Altern 8 on my balcony!

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
Setting light to it / blacking out / drilling my doodle doo.............  :wtf:

I was not thinking any of that was on the menu! :)

>:D live a little  ;D
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Happy to stand corrected here....things I have discovered

Powder Coating is in effect a thermoplastic. Three removal methods:

Mechanical - Steel wool or Sand / Bead or Walnut blasting

Chemical - Seems that nothing will disolve a Thermoplastic, but some things may make it swell & loosen up - Acetone seemingly the best - although just tried some nail varnish remover and did nothing

Heat - people saying that a blow torch will do it, but be prepared for extreme plumes of black toxic smoke....

So - until some of the boffins on the chemical forum reply............its good old B&Q for now..........

Back SOON

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Quick progress update!

Went to an old school motor spare place and got hold of a can of "Pro Seal Heavy Duty Gasket Remover" - As he only had 2 cans left, thought would try one outside his store....

Bubble city!!! YAY

so have bought the other one! Next to it though he had some Nitromors - and lo and behold.... this is the old shool Nitromors and it also worked......

Pictures to follow!!!!!!!!!!!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Safety Problems - Paint / Powder Coat Stripping on a 4th Floor Flat Balcony

gfxgfx
gfx gfx