gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 11:50 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Ammaco Freestyle Ace Resto for bro's 40th prezzie (Shhhhhh dont tell him!)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Ammaco Freestyle Ace Resto for bro's 40th prezzie (Shhhhhh dont tell him!)  (Read 6554 times)

koolstyler

Hi all, first post on here so im a total newbie (25 years ago i knew loads though!)
Bit of story to what im doing first, my brother and myself both had new Ammaco freestylers new in 1985 (me a white Koolstyler and him a Chrome Freestyle Ace with tuff 2s), i sold mine for £30 in the late 80s after painting it with green hammerite :idiot2:. My brother kept his and it slowly rusted until around 10 years ago when he did a mini restoration (painted it a nasty peppermint colour!) but he's never used it since as it needs a new headset. The paint has held back any rust though and it is original spec with no damage to the frame at all.
My plan now is to pinch it out of his garage without his knowledge and do a better job of restoring it for his 40th Birthday. Think rechroming will be a bit out of my budget with the other bits that need doing so will be getting it proffesionally resprayed by a mate with a bodyshop. Would go white but think it would look very like my old Koolstyler which would prob not be that good for him, so think as we both hankered after Candy apple Trickstars back then ill poss go down that route.
I have sourced a decal set off ebay (any good?) and now need to sort the headset, problem is that i will only be able to have the bike for a week or so before his birthday so need to have the parts ready and have no idea on tube sizes for the parts, are they a standard size on older bmx's if so can someone point me in the right direction for a headset that will fit please?
Also need to change brake pads, cables, grips, pedals and tires, will maybe fit a layback seatpost too (any help on sizes again?)

Any help on where to source parts or general advice would be gratefully received :)

Cheers Chris

Clean

Dude,

Welcome to the Forums, and I must say what a wonderful brother you sound!  :angel:

Lots of help available here if you pop your questions in more detail, but as a quick guide I am pretty sure Torker used Standard sizes on everything, so there will be lots available on here (although you need to pay your tenner for Site Supporter Tags if you want to buy on here) or eBay.

I suggest getting your tags as you will source what you need relatively easily and quickly and everyone is very knowledgable and helpful.   :smitten:

Good luck with your build, and get some Before (and after) pics up!  :daumenhoch:

Clean.

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
you need a 1" bmx headset, brake pads will need to be the threaded type. cables, grips, and tyres are all pretty much the same sizes as the old one's so just pick a colour to suit. pedals need to be 1/2" for 1 piece cranks and 9/16" for 3 piece cranks and seatpost size is 22.2mm. buy a site tag for a tenner and you could probably get everything you need from the for sale section cheaper than from buying from ebay. and before and after pics are a must.  :daumenhoch:

koolstyler

Wow, thanks for the prompt replys and help! Think you have covered most of the stuff i need to know for now and i will be getting the site tag sorted so i can start buying up bits asap 8)

Think i may have opened a can of worms now though im so excited about doing bro's bike that im thinking i may have to dip my toe back into the water :daumenhoch:

koolstyler

If i was to have it stripped and re chromed anyone got any ideas of cost?? (frame forks and bars)
Cheers Chris

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
Hi bud

Welcome to the site  :daumenhoch:

Re-Chrome on F&F + Bars will run you about £250 +  :shocked:

Its bloomin expensive  :idiot2:
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

koolstyler

Thought that might be the case :(

Might have a word with my painter mate about high gloss silver painted finish, obviously not original spec but still look good if everything else is put back to original spec??

koolstyler

Quick update, bike is now stripped and has gone for paint today (Pearl White)! When i collected the bike realised it needs a few more parts than i first thought ::). New CW type bars, whitewall tires, mx brakes, headset, bottom bracket, grips, decals and dice caps have now all arrived (budget well and truly blown!!!). There are still a few bit that could do with changing if he wants it to be a queen but it will make a nice rider as is when its back together. Nice touch that id forgot is that when my bro painted it the rear triangle chrome was still very good so he left that unpainted (Haro style?),well its still good so ive left it too,
Should look really nice when finished, ill get some before and after pics up as soon as its back and assembled  :)

Deano

What a great thing to do for your bro  :daumenhoch:

Be nice to see this progress  8)

Oh and welcome in too bud

koolstyler

Busy couple of days!....and its finished (well nearly just need new chain putting on). Would post pics but just in case my brother pops on here i wont post pics of it yet, its looks awesome im very jealous 8)
Only slight downside is now its together i have noticed there is some play in the wheel hubs, think they just need new bearings its rideable though so ill leave them as a little job for him when i give it back (cant spend any more money on it now!!)

PS, how do i post pics????

koolstyler

As it was when i picked it up a few weeks ago

Will post finished pics after June 11th  ;)

deeman

Excellent work and a lovely thing to do!I wanna see the finished pics NOW!! :daumenhoch:

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
What an awesome Gesture for your Bro. I am not sure what bars they are from the angle of the pics and I wouldn't be chopping them in the bin until I knew what they were :daumenhoch:

koolstyler

What an awesome Gesture for your Bro. I am not sure what bars they are from the angle of the pics and I wouldn't be chopping them in the bin until I knew what they were :daumenhoch:

They are just cheapo reps unfortunatly :(, Think you may see the bike in the flesh at some point, we have a mutual friend who was at chestair, Snowee from Ewloe??

koolstyler

Brother came round tonight on way out for 40th birthday night out at the dog racing so i decided to present the bike, fair to say he was very surpised and loves it!! Still a few small bit to do  (chain is fitted now but id prob change pedals and fit layback) but Going to drop it at his house tomorrow but will be very sorry to see it go :'( I've really enjoyed doing it and am already looking for a new project for myself 8)

Here's the pics

[

Let me know what you think and thanks again for the advice  :)

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
Dude, I think you done a great job turning that around and hope your bro is very appreciative of your fine work  :daumenhoch:

Great resto  :4_17_5:

Hope to see your one real soon  :coolsmiley:
BANNED

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
i love these bikes :daumenhoch: hold so much memories for me  :smitten: if this was my resto i wouldn't of left the rear quarter chrome but i guess it's a personal thing ;) great thing to do for your brother though mate  :daumenhoch:

deeman

nice!this turned out well!top work,can't wait to see your own project now! :daumenhoch:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:

very nice, great job  :daumenhoch:

Jaypeg

Top job mate :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Ammaco Freestyle Ace Resto for bro's 40th prezzie (Shhhhhh dont tell him!)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx