gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 06:31 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  This resto's not one for the purist's....look away now!! (pic heavy)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: This resto's not one for the purist's....look away now!! (pic heavy)  (Read 14788 times)

Offline Badbaldie

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
had to come back to this thread just to see what other people thoughts were. at the end of the day your wheels so do what u like i guess. BUT that beeing said i think the lesson to learn from this is. .... if your not sure how to do sumthing then ASK first. (remember back to school days . measure twice cut once) as its been said in the thread , the 30 year old skyways COULD have been saved  :'(  and the new ones u bought could have been "sorted" as well so 2 sets of red skyways would have rolled on  :daumenhoch: in stead of one set chopped up to bits and another set glued together  :-\

renegaderacer

so would that glue hold them if ever ridden ?.
just thinking down the line if you ever sold em and some poor fooker took em out for a spin  :crazy2:
Aeroplanes are held together with the same stuff!  ;)

Offline Chromo Buzz

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
I appreciate everybody has a right to an opinion & also to voice that opinion :daumenhoch:
But come on fella's, this is a hobby about kid's bikes that we all enjoy.......some of you need to chillax a bit & not take this too seriously :daumenhoch:

Buz ;)

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Ultimately they are your wheels and you can do what you want to them but i cant see why you didnt just drill the rivet heads off, use the other ends for one side and make your own rivets for the other side, especially as they are glued on anyway.

I made this in 2 mins with a bolt in a drill held against a bench grinder. Another 5 mins with some wet and dry and you would never know the difference  :daumenhoch:

Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

griff

you could have just painted the mucky ones - tuffs look great painted

ozone

Ultimately they are your wheels and you can do what you want to them but i cant see why you didnt just drill the rivet heads off, use the other ends for one side and make your own rivets for the other side, especially as they are glued on anyway.

I made this in 2 mins with a bolt in a drill held against a bench grinder. Another 5 mins with some wet and dry and you would never know the difference  :daumenhoch:

This looks like a canny idea but I tried to find an M4 bolt (M5 was too wide IIRC) around 90mm long (or whatever the actual measurement was as it yonks ago) and I couldn't find any.  I had to use threaded bar and nuts on both sides which looked terrible. 

Offline GRAB ON KID

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
What a waste as i was after a set of alloy hubbed red tuffs w/rim stamps.Another set gone forever.They're yours at the end of the day to do what you want with but it's a bit like seeing a mutilated corpse to my eyes as these are hard to find & highly sought after.Which kind if makes you a Tuff wheel serial killer!  :LolLolLolLol:  :2gunsfiring_v1:  :uglystupid2:

Rodgy1970

If the old tuffs where cracked I don't really see a problem, although I do reckon a set of black tuffs would have been better donors.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Technically it's not a restoration as they can't be ridden so not really restored just made to look "good"; it's a shame but each to their own.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline mattbloke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Technically it's not a restoration as they can't be ridden so not really restored just made to look "good"; it's a shame but each to their own.

agree. took two useable things, and fooked em both. yes the finished result looks pretty, but not safe to use, so worthless.  each to their own i guess

Offline Chromo Buzz

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
True.....that it's not technically a proper resto, i just thought it was the best place to put the thread :daumenhoch:

Are you a fooking expert at adhesive glue's then? Seeing as this is aerospace grade adhesive i'm pretty sure that these would be strong enough to ride on. Probably more so than original one's, also if i was to sell on then i would be more than willing to let the future owner know  what i had done to them. As it is, they're going on a carpet queen that wont be sold :angrysoapbox:

Buz ;) :daumenhoch:

waza04

Offline AKGOFF

• 900 Air
  • 85 Hutch 'Woody' Trickstar
  • Rated:
I sold a set of restored red Alloy hubbed tuff lls about 6 weeks ago, fookin beautiful they were, absolutely gorgeous but they only made about £90 odd on EBay, where were all the searchers then? Fact is that out of all the people who love red Tuffs and would readily (it seems) restore a cracked set, it was this guy who bought them and made something great out of them. Yes, an old set could have been restored to a certain standard but clearly nobody else wanted to pay the money for them. It would also be apparent that the adhesive used would be quite strong enough to ride on too.
As far as I can see you took something shite and made something great.

Great job.

*******EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE APART FROM THE TRICKSTARS******

bmx xxx

Wow, realy couldnt see why this had been done,
Why not get the old set aqua blasted?
Ok you paid the money & they are your wheels to do
Why as you wish, just a shame to fook up a set
Of tuffs,
Why not get nos flanges and get rivetts made
And do the same thing with glue etc?
My two pence worth
Gary

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
 :wtf:

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
 :shocked:

lk_97

The old ones had a crack though? So they would have been pretty much unusable and wouldn't be good for show either, whereas these are both? I agree, I didn't like the picture of them cut to bits, but if you couldn't use them this was a better idea anyway...

e5dcb

Don't know why but looking on my phone scrolling down the pictures. I was expecting you to cut the middles out the nos tuffs and glue them in lol. (sorry been a long day)  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
Are you going to tape up the donors...??!!!!  :D

What a waste as i was after a set of alloy hubbed red tuffs w/rim stamps.Another set gone forever.They're yours at the end of the day to do what you want with but it's a bit like seeing a mutilated corpse to my eyes as these are hard to find & highly sought after.Which kind if makes you a Tuff wheel serial killer!  :LolLolLolLol:  :2gunsfiring_v1:  :uglystupid2:

Feel for ya Mike...  :(

Offline Chromo Buzz

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Don't know why but looking on my phone scrolling down the pictures. I was expecting you to cut the middles out the nos tuffs and glue them in lol. (sorry been a long day)  :LolLolLolLol:

Fook me!! Imagine the response id've  received from the hater's :2gunsfiring_v1: representing the 'red(metal hubbed) tuff's' appreciation society :police: if i had done that :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:58 PM by oldskoolbuz »

ThisBitterPill

>:D

Offline beard1973

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
 :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

snav69

:2funny:  :2funny:

:4_17_5:

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
What a shame, like Rob said in an earlier post, with half the effort you could have restored the old ones to look pretty much as good as these unridable ones.

You now have 2 sets of unusable tuffs.

Oh well, that's that then

Offline Chromo Buzz

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
What a shame, like Rob said in an earlier post, with half the effort you could have restored the old ones to look pretty much as good as these unridable ones.

You now have 2 sets of unusable tuffs.

Oh well, that's that then

You havn'nt got a clue mate :idiot2:

Fooking bell end!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  This resto's not one for the purist's....look away now!! (pic heavy)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx