gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 10:36 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Shimano dx's
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Shimano dx's  (Read 14176 times)

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
Re: Shimano dx's
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 08:21 PM »
Side cutters are good for taking them out as you can get a purchase on the pin and lever up against the pedal. If you use a heat gun as well to apply a little bit of heat they normally come out.

You don't want to grind them down as it will make it impossible to get them out. If you try to drill them out the drill will slip off the steel pin and drill out the alloy pedal as it is softer. The pedals will then be ruined.  :daumenhoch:

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 08:30 PM »
i used a really small drill bit to get right in the middle of the studs
then went up in size till i had the hole size i needed to put the pins in.
i was using a bench drill holder thing and just took my time.
marked the drill bits too so they never went to far through.

dave the bmxing gypo

Deano

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2012, 12:54 PM »
Got my blue clear plasti-kote from here
http://www.paintsprays.co.uk/catalog/glass-paint-p-246.html

Not used it yet as its slightly blue/green and not true blue. Its a close match for blue anno tho so i may try it today.

whatquid

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2012, 04:30 PM »
glue on some fruit gums......trick as...!!!!

Mdbh

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 01:59 PM »
Got the paint sorted

I've tried pulling the pins out, and there going nowhere! So I'm gona file them flat and drill them out, rather then using a glue to stick the new pins in I was maybe thinking about braising them?

Mdbh

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 02:01 PM »
Kinda like soldering a joint on copper pipe? Or do you think just a liquid metal type glue would be better?

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 02:03 PM »
I'd go with a two part glue Olly - reckon the brazing would be a right pain in the rear to do and not good steel to ally :)
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Mdbh

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 02:24 PM »
I'd go with a two part glue Olly - reckon the brazing would be a right pain in the rear to do and not good steel to ally :)
I was leaning towards the glue Danny but just wanted a proper job but think the glue will be the way to go!

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 03:56 PM »
You can't weld steel to alloy.  :daumenhoch:

Alloy melts at a much lower temperature against steel.

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2012, 04:05 PM »
You can't weld steel to alloy.  :daumenhoch:

Alloy melts at a much lower temperature against steel.

You sort of can Stu (although not on a DX) - think from memory you have to use a bi-metallic inserts/strips (whch I guess is cheating really) :)

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2012, 04:29 PM »
always good to see Stu saying you can't do something ... then eating his words  ;D

to be fair to Stu joining them is basically a form of specialized brazing rather than welding but too fiddly on the peds like Dan says  :daumenhoch:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

pkripster

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2012, 04:31 PM »
was tyring to sell mine ive ended up keeping and the in nice condition was only wanting 75 :2funny: :idiot2:

Mdbh

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2012, 04:32 PM »
And I'm not on about welding them together

Mdbh

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2012, 04:32 PM »
Only paid £12 so a bit of work is ok!

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2012, 04:33 PM »
You may be able to chemically join the two. But welding you can't. Not even brazing.

You can join alloy to alloy. And steel to steel. But not alloy to steel.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2012, 05:52 PM »
You may be able to chemically join the two. But welding you can't. Not even brazing.

You can join alloy to alloy. And steel to steel. But not alloy to steel.  :daumenhoch:

Hence me saying welding the two is cheating really - bimetallic transition insert/strips (with the two pre-bonded) or the sheathing (alu coat over steel/silver solder).

Neither technically welds one to the other, but in a sort of cheating way does ;)

Mdbh

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2012, 06:21 PM »

Hence me saying welding the two is cheating really - bimetallic transition insert/strips (with the two pre-bonded) or the sheathing (alu coat over steel/silver solder).

Neither technically welds one to the other, but in a sort of cheating way does ;)
blah blah blah blah blah! :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2012, 06:29 PM »
I quite liked being able to say 'hence' on a forum. Makes me feel like a right tw@t  ;D

Mdbh

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2012, 06:35 PM »
I quite liked being able to say 'hence' on a forum. Makes me feel like a right tw@t  ;D
:LolLolLolLol:

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2012, 06:38 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol: :2funny:

Mdbh

« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2012, 06:43 PM »
Anyway let's get bk on track I've cut the pedals in half and I'm going to use a bit of spit and polish to hold them together and for pins I'm gona use jelly beans and some flem to glue them in! :daumenhoch:

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2012, 06:46 PM »
Sounds good to me.  :daumenhoch: :Great_Britain:

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2012, 06:46 PM »
Just for the record... as I feel very strongly about this having spent 18 year of my life studying and working in the field... if the question is "Can I weld aluminum to steel with the GMAW or GTAW welding process?" Then the answer is while aluminum can be joined to most other metals relatively easily by adhesive bonding or mechanical fastening, special techniques are required if it is to be arc welded to other metals such as steel.  Very brittle intermetallic compounds are formed when metals such as steel, copper, magnesium or titanium are directly arc welded to aluminum.  To avoid these brittle compounds, some special techniques have been developed to isolate the other metal from the molten aluminum during the arc welding process.  The two most common methods of facilitating arc welding of aluminum to steel are bimetallic transition inserts and coating the dissimilar material prior to welding.

Take for example Bimetallic Transition Inserts.  Bimetallic transition materials are available commercially in combinations of aluminum to such other materials as steel, stainless steel and copper.  These inserts are best described as sections of material that are comprised of one part aluminum with another material already bonded to the aluminum.   The method used for bonding these dissimilar materials together, and thus forming the bimetallic transition, are usually rolling, explosion welding, friction welding, flash welding or hot pressure welding, and not arc welding.  The arc welding of these steel aluminum transition inserts can be performed by the normal arc welding methods such as GMAW or GTAW.  One side of the insert is welded steel-to-steel and the other aluminum-to-aluminum.  Care should be taken to avoid overheating the inserts during welding, which may cause growth of brittle intermetallic compounds at the steel-aluminum interface of the transition insert.  It is good practice to perform the aluminum-to-aluminum weld first.  In this way, we can provide a larger heat sink when the steel-to-steel welding is performed and help prevent the steel aluminum interface from overheating.  The bimetallic transition insert is a popular method of joining aluminum to steel and is often used for producing welded connections of excellent quality within structural applications.  Such applications as attaching aluminum deckhouses to steel decks on ships, for tube sheets in heat exchangers that have aluminum tubing with steel or stainless steel tube sheets, and for producing arc welded joints between aluminum and steel pipe lines.

You could also try coating The Dissimilar Material Prior To Welding where a coating can be applied to steel to facilitate its arc welding to aluminum.  One method is to coat the steel with aluminum. This is sometimes achieved by dip coating (hot dip aluminizing), or brazing the aluminum to the surface of the steel.  Once coated, the steel member can be arc welded to the aluminum member, if care is taken to prevent the arc from impinging on the steel.  A technique must be used during welding to direct the arc onto the aluminum member and allow the molten aluminum from the weld pool to flow onto the aluminum coated steel.  Another method of joining aluminum to steel involves coating the steel surface with silver solder.  The joint is then welded using aluminum filler alloy, taking care not to burn through the barrier layer of silver solder.  Neither of these coating type joint methods are typically depended upon for full mechanical strength and are usually used for sealing purposes only.

Now that took ages to type so I hope you got it all  :daumenhoch:

Dylan Thomas

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2012, 06:59 PM »
Using a similar technique to the ones discussed by Ed above, I can confirm that this type of bonding works.

The picture below (which is not photoshopped) shows the bonding between two dissimilar mediums: skin and wood. The bonding/welding material you ask? EARWAX.

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2012, 07:01 PM »
Dan.. You pure iz Jedi bredrin!!!

Dylan Thomas

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Shimano dx's

gfxgfx
gfx gfx