gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 03, 2024, 05:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  Newbie bitten by the bug....... but dont tell the wife
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Newbie bitten by the bug....... but dont tell the wife  (Read 3582 times)

DubAde

Hello  :). About 6 months ago a mate excitedly told me how he had just won the bidding on a restored Mongoose californian and he was picking it up in a couple of days. I couldnt understand why he was so happy.......until he brought it round and let me have a go! It was like being 12 again (i'm 40 now), i was just stood there with a huge grin on my face.
Back in the day my mates had burners and gooses but i had to make do with a lowly Foxbat but i loved that BMX.
I had a quick look on eBay and bought a 98 GT vertigo (thought it was older) to restore, Frame and forks and being coated at the end of the month and i have definitely been bitten by the bug.
So I will soon be looking for an old school restoration project but I need some help deciding what to go for, i'm after a 1980's freestyler that wont break the bank, preferably a complete bike minus the wheels. Any suggestions will be gratefully recieved  :daumenhoch:

griff

Re: Newbie bitten by the bug....... but dont tell the wife
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 09:05 AM »
welcome mate

it is addictive, try and be as patient as you can and see what comes up on here - better to get the stuff you want first time round  :daumenhoch:
best advice I can give is to invest in a site supporter's tag so you can use the sale section, you'll generally get better deals than on feebay

Jaypeg

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 11:15 AM »
Welcome aboard ... As per the above become a site supporter and don't rush as you will dent your pOcket...there's some good deals on here so keep your eye out. As for freestyles again depends on your budget... What about building your bike from bitd? I'm partial to streetbeats myself but it has to be something that you want... Anyway have fun , enjoy the hunt... I'm a noob on this site but there's a lot of very helpful radsters on here . Cheers jay :)

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • funny you should say that..
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 09:33 PM »
Welcome to rad mate... Enjoy the site ;)
Griff loves BUM..

In2 bmx

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 09:39 PM »
Welcome to Rad ..  :daumenhoch: 

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 06:51 PM »

Welcome mate - have fun !  :)

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 08:28 PM »
Hello  :). About 6 months ago a mate excitedly told me how he had just won the bidding on a restored Mongoose californian and he was picking it up in a couple of days. I couldnt understand why he was so happy.......until he brought it round and let me have a go! It was like being 12 again (i'm 40 now), i was just stood there with a huge grin on my face.
Back in the day my mates had burners and gooses but i had to make do with a lowly Foxbat but i loved that BMX.
I had a quick look on eBay and bought a 98 GT vertigo (thought it was older) to restore, Frame and forks and being coated at the end of the month and i have definitely been bitten by the bug.
So I will soon be looking for an old school restoration project but I need some help deciding what to go for, i'm after a 1980's freestyler that wont break the bank, preferably a complete bike minus the wheels. Any suggestions will be gratefully recieved  :daumenhoch:

Dont bother, get out while you can...!!!  :D

Im sure you'll enjoy spending money on your builds & before long you will be replacing furniture with bikes!

Enjoy...  :daumenhoch:

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 07:36 AM »
welcome to RAD  :daumenhoch:
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

deeman

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 12:46 AM »
Welcome to rad mate!hmmm...an 80's freestyler on a reasonable budget?don't think that exists these days!Aero reflex used to be the most reasonably priced and a good budget option but even they go for silly money these days!as said above get a site supporters tag and keep an eye in the for sale section!but watch it like a hawk and be quick!theres a lovely GT performer world tour fiola replica for sale atm!expect to pay £300 plus for a decent frame and forks! :daumenhoch:

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 04:03 AM »
Welcome to the Site :)  I think you have to build where your passion is or else it will be out of the door  :'(
As others have said have a think about what you want to build and take your time and enjoy :daumenhoch:
I guess I am happy my wife will let me have 7 Old school Steads :4_17_5: which I think is enough for now :LolLolLolLol:

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 01:11 PM »
My missus is well on board :daumenhoch:

She'll be here as well as other families:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=146209.msg1433679#new
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  Newbie bitten by the bug....... but dont tell the wife

gfxgfx
gfx gfx