gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 07:26 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Robinson ID
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Robinson ID  (Read 5155 times)

Offline BADDH

• Look Back
  • BMX
  • Rated:
Robinson ID
« on: April 04, 2012, 06:47 PM »
Hi Fella's,

As some may know I have been on Rad for a little while now and have finally got my act together with the site supporter tag(paid up).

Finally though I have my dream bike a Gusseted Robinson. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I have some questions I could do with some help with if anyone can assist me  :daumenhoch:

My Robinson has the frame number 122946 with no other stamped reference to the Elite or Expert  usually seen on the rear drop-out, another Robbo owned by family member has the E stamp and the frame number 131046, is this a later bike ?

Mine has "iirc" an 18" top tube and albeit I havent actuallt measured the Expert they look the same size  :idiot2:

The Robinson pro I rode back in the early 80's was a larger top tube than this present bike and to be honest would suit my 6' 1" height much better..oh I want another now.... :coolsmiley:

Can anyone help with how to dignose the year and build number sequences, and any bits to suit this one owner Survivor build would always be tempting....

Ps I hope this Lemon juice and foil works.... my fingers are in agony....;D

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 06:51 PM by BADDH »
Live life as young as you can, for as long as you can

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Robinson ID
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 06:57 PM »
those serials dont add up to me,i have an 83 expert,the serial is 1283****  which makes it december 83 and it has an E stamp on the rear dropout too.im no expert but you serial dont make alot of sense :-\
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 06:59 PM by markyp »
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 06:59 PM »
the 122 might be december 82,maybe robbo changed the serials to show the 8 for 80's too a bit later??im not sure,you need to send In2bmx a p.m,hes the robbo man around here :daumenhoch:
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline BADDH

• Look Back
  • BMX
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 08:18 PM »
Ok marky,
Iam going doing some more lemonning in a minute, checking the number again... :daumenhoch:

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 08:52 PM »
Made up you finally got a Robbo Daz , about bloody time though  ::)

Found this on a search ........

So far all the pre 81 serials I have seen had no correlation to dates.

77 = small tubes, flat brake bridge, tri-oval hole in gusset, flat gusset behind bottom bracket, powder coated, rub on decals in red, white or blue

78/79 = small tubes, flat brake bridge, circle hole in gusset, flat gusset behind bottom bracket, powder coated, rub on decals in red, white or blue

early 80 = small tubes, flat brake bridges, circle hole or flat gusset, flat gusset behind bottom bracket, powder or chrome, rub on decals in red, white or blue and the classic r/w/b Robinson decals.

late 80/early 81 = small tubes, big tubes, chrome, powder coated, gusset behind bottom bracket, flat gussets, stamped r gussets round brake bridges, flat brake bridges, rub on decals in red, white or blue and the classic r/w/b Robinson decals. Little bit everything.

mid to late 81 = dates appear in serial numbers, big tubes including forks, round brake bridges, gusset behind bottom bracket, stamped r gusset only, chrome only, classic r/w/b Robinson decals.

82/83 = same as 81 except flat gusset behind bottom bracket dissapears

mid/late 83 = back to small tube forks otherwise same as 81/82

84 = back to small tubes on frames, no more gusset

After seeing yours , which has the flat chainstay support and the flat brake bridge i reckon it's a late 80's early 81 going of the info above  , After 81 the dates appeared in the serial which would tye in with what Mark has said with his 83  ;)

Hope that helps mate  :daumenhoch:

Should build into a nice bike  8)
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

In2 bmx

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 09:07 PM »
After 81 they did get easier and marky might be right With 82 .. Where is it stamped  ???

Here are mine from 81 -83

1981 050113.  Stamped under the bb
1982  582100 on the dropout
1983 783008 on the dropout ..

Hope this helps .

Offline BADDH

• Look Back
  • BMX
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 11:25 PM »
Cheers Guys,

Its stamped on the rear drop out, like I say it has no E or P stamped on there to determine the model  though just the 6 digets  :idiot2:

Norty it surely is going to be  around 80/81, after your post I remembered something, he was racing at 11 that would have been 1980/early 81 so I think thats some indication.. when it was purchased from Alan's shop when they were hindley way  :-\

Just going to take my time with it and do my best for my first One.. :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 07:33 AM by BADDH »

Offline BADDH

• Look Back
  • BMX
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 08:42 AM »
Norty 40 +  Any more thoughts on those Bars yet ?   :-\, there is a picture of a Robbo in the museum with what looks to me the exact same ones with the R sticker in the same place too.....

I have continued cleaning up the frame and forks , tell you what guys its very time consuming, my hands are wrecked.... :coolsmiley: :LolLolLolLol:  that said  it is much better now albeit in places the chrome looks thin....and not having much experience in this I have taken a careful approach not to over do it...

There's more to this than I first thought

A.   Sympathetically clean it and keep in the survivior condition  :angel:
B.   Re-chrome it and make it like new again..... :coolsmiley:  

If I do re-chrome it who can do this for me as I need the bars doing come what may.

Once I have sorted the frame and forks I will start on the Araya  wheels...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:02 PM by BADDH »

Offline BADDH

• Look Back
  • BMX
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 10:05 PM »
Can anyone help me, do Robinson bars have any identification markings ?

Mine has numbers stamped under the grips and the R sticker on them but It would be worth knowing if there worth it before they go for re-chrome.

Thanks again.

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 11:42 PM »
Can anyone help me, do Robinson bars have any identification markings ?

Mine has numbers stamped under the grips and the R sticker on them but It would be worth knowing if there worth it before they go for re-chrome.

Thanks again.

You need to get some pics up mate  ;)

Open a photobucket account and upload from there  :daumenhoch:

snav69

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 11:05 AM »
Bobby Woods  ???

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 05:32 PM »
tt length would be a good indicator too

Offline BADDH

• Look Back
  • BMX
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 06:12 PM »
Whats Bobby Woods  Snav I have not ammased any Radster lingo in my head yet to understand.... :LolLolLolLol:

The Bars have a 9" RISE and 28" WIDE  and resemble the Robinson PRO Bar albeit I would say on what I can see the welds are larger and I would say the angle of the down tubes to the stem are not quite as sharp if you get me there guys.. :idiot2:

They have a stamped code number     20  030      on them under the grip position and the rest is quite rusty so unless you can advise me were exactly to clean and look closely at thats all I have at this time... :daumenhoch:

Dazza
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 06:16 PM by BADDH »

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 06:24 PM »
Whats Bobby Woods  Snav I have not ammased any Radster lingo in my head yet to understand.... :LolLolLolLol:

:shocked: Don't let Carl hear you say that  :LolLolLolLol:

Google 'Bobby Woods Robinson'  ;)

You need to put pics up of the bars Daz ...... pictures paint a thousand words as they say  :D

In2 bmx

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 06:32 PM »
Yes pics please ... I've never come across any stamped robinson bars yet and I've got 6 sets  .  :daumenhoch:

Offline BADDH

• Look Back
  • BMX
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 10:37 PM »
Ok I will try to sort pictures out ..

I will google that name then,I am from Lancashire remember the world ends at Preston and goes as far as Manchester doesnt it, I dont know  that Bobby fella though......... :D

The only Yanks  I know are Vollopoto, Dungey, Reed ,Barcia..... :2gunsfiring_v1: barrrrrrrrpppppppppppppppppppppppppp
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:44 PM by BADDH »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Robinson ID

gfxgfx
gfx gfx