gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 07:16 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Buying bits from the USA.......... - Customs Loop Holes
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Buying bits from the USA.......... - Customs Loop Holes  (Read 8832 times)

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
Re: Buying bits from the USA.......... - Customs Loop Holes
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2012, 12:02 PM »
I've only ever paid VAT over the total amount of the item and postage and then a handling fee. Never paid any duty, even on items costing 100's of dollars.
ding dong

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2012, 12:25 PM »
I've only ever paid VAT over the total amount of the item and postage and then a handling fee. Never paid any duty, even on items costing 100's of dollars.

up until 3ish years ago, this was deffo the case, i must have bought close to 500 items in the past from the states n up until 3ish years ago only got stung twice by customs, then almost overnight everything started getting hammered, best not to bother unless its cheap or something ya really want, also stuff was for nowt from across the pond back then, $2.20-$2.60 to the pound, cheap postage n no customs, i was laughing my c0ck off at the stuff i was getting, all gone to cack now  :(

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2012, 12:30 PM »
I bought a synth last year for 400 dollars plus 90 postage, still only paid vat plus 8 quid odd to parcel force. They sent me a bill a bit like a wage slip, not really a letter.
ding dong

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2012, 12:41 PM »
As has been said, the best way is to get them to mark to item as a 'returns damaged item' or 'returns not as described'. Some sellers won't do it because they have been stung by buyers here in the UK claiming they never received the item.

On smaller items, get the seller to mark it as 'gift' with a very low value. You take the chance of lost or damaged items but you take that chance here in the UK too. I have a friend who used to work for the post and wouldn't want to worry you guys with some of the stories that I have been told by him  :shocked:  :yahoo_silent:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 12:44 PM by Londonhellboy »
BANNED

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2012, 01:07 PM »
As has been said, the best way is to get them to mark to item as a 'returns damaged item' or 'returns not as described'. Some sellers won't do it because they have been stung by buyers here in the UK claiming they never received the item.

On smaller items, get the seller to mark it as 'gift' with a very low value. You take the chance of lost or damaged items but you take that chance here in the UK too. I have a friend who used to work for the post and wouldn't want to worry you guys with some of the stories that I have been told by him  :shocked:  :yahoo_silent:

Ask your mate in the Post Office to keep his eyes open for an Eddie Fiola GT Pro Performer please!!  ;D

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2012, 01:11 PM »
T H A N K      Y O U !!!

Does seem to be no real rules around this except luck!

Loving the idea of marking as a child's toy!! Think I would have the NSPCC on my case when they see how battered the item is!

All really helpful as usual!!

:4_17_5:

your avatar picture is really wrong  :buck2:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

FREESTYLE MASTER

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2012, 02:58 PM »
Anyone know of a good way round being robbed by customs? I bought a snowboard few years ago from the US and paid more than the cost of the boar :-[ :-[d in Import Tax

Found a bike in the US and the seller is suggesting he will mark it as "Vintage Bike Parts"

Any help is appreciated!!

:Great_Britain:

Hello, Orange

I sell and ship to the U.K. and AU all the time.

What I do is if I sold something on ebay I change the value of what they payed for the item to $5.00 US dollars and mark as a commercial Sample.

Unfortunately you can not change the price of the shipping cost it will not let you.

And I always have my buyers come back with Thank you e-mails.

Same applies for item bought on Forums thru a Pay-Pal Transaction.   :Great_Britain: :smitten:

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2012, 08:56 PM »
Anyone know of a good way round being robbed by customs? I bought a snowboard few years ago from the US and paid more than the cost of the boar :-[ :-[d in Import Tax

Found a bike in the US and the seller is suggesting he will mark it as "Vintage Bike Parts"

Any help is appreciated!!

:Great_Britain:

Hello, Orange

I sell and ship to the U.K. and AU all the time.

What I do is if I sold something on ebay I change the value of what they payed for the item to $5.00 US dollars and mark as a commercial Sample.

Unfortunately you can not change the price of the shipping cost it will not let you.

And I always have my buyers come back with Thank you e-mails.

Same applies for item bought on Forums thru a Pay-Pal Transaction.   :Great_Britain: :smitten:

Thank you!! Hopefully should know if they guy will sell me the bike soon and will mail him with mark up instructions!!

Really helped me a lot!

T h a n k.  Y o u

Frosty

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 02:09 PM »
As already mentioned the problem with undervaluing an item is if it gets lost in transit. The seller will only be able to claim back what was declared, so often they are reluctant to mark substantially less than what they sold for.

The real killer is the vat at 20% now. It is calculated on the total costs, including the shipping, using their fx rates too.

There are a couple of ways to avoid the duty charges, but to be honest at the moment VAT is the real issue., here's one, state this code number 9501009000 (this is the tariff code for bicycle wheels and parts) it should be clearly stated on the address cover letter on the package. This should legitimately reduce the import duty to a zero % rate.

I know from bitter experience at the moment what losing a valuable item is like, and that was on these shores!!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:12 PM by Frosty »

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2012, 09:30 PM »
Cheers Frosty!! Just won my GT - totally excited, although will be needing a lot more help!!

That VAT code looks great - will ping onto the Americas!!

T H A N K   Y O U

:Great_Britain: :Great_Britain: :Great_Britain: :Great_Britain: :Great_Britain: :Great_Britain:

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2012, 09:32 PM »
Some amazing help in here on importing bits from the US for restoration etc

How would you get an Admin to save as a stickie to help others??

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Buying bits from the USA.......... - Customs Loop Holes

gfxgfx
gfx gfx