gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 11:21 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Quirky eBay Freestyler - 6 months ago.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Quirky eBay Freestyler - 6 months ago.  (Read 640 times)

punkdSICO

Quirky eBay Freestyler - 6 months ago.
« on: March 24, 2012, 10:02 AM »
This was a bike I wanted from ebay but did not get it.  Someone in here got it (cant remember who).  Just wondering how the bike is looking and if they have done anything with it..

If anyone remembers who got it, give them a pointer back into this thread so we can get an update.

I still think its a nice looking frame (ignoring the somewhat bent seat post housing)..

ta,

Paul

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
Re: Quirky eBay Freestyler - 6 months ago.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 10:18 AM »
Funnily enough I was wondering about this too, although I thought you'd won it

Online oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 10:48 AM »
It was my brother Tachikoma who got it. Its stil hung in his shed half way through being prepared for paint.  ::)

He has spent a fair while cleaning up the gammy brazing round the head tube and the rear end where the top of the loops had been welded to the twin top tubes.
Should be done for the summer (if he stops pissing around with new school stuff  ;D)
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

punkdSICO

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 11:11 AM »
It was my brother Tachikoma who got it. Its stil hung in his shed half way through being prepared for paint.  ::)
Thanks for that - I had just found the old thread in my history and sent him a PM for an update.  Was also just reading some of his NS posts.  Really loving his Subrosa DTT - very tempting!!

ta,

Paul

Tachikoma

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 01:47 PM »
It was my brother Tachikoma who got it. Its stil hung in his shed half way through being prepared for paint.  ::)

He has spent a fair while cleaning up the gammy brazing round the head tube and the rear end where the top of the loops had been welded to the twin top tubes.
Should be done for the summer (if he stops pissing around with new school stuff  ;D)
Ey you bugger i had to help you with your bikes too!

Update on the bike is that the pictures on the ebay ad totally do not show just how bad the frame actually was, horrible horrible welds with blobs everywhere, a crack in the rear end which we had to get welded, the white paint on it was actually household emulsion so it took forever and a day to strip back to the metal, once there we've been grinding the welds back and cleaning everything up, had to cut down the seat tube to about an inch tall and put a notch in the back because the original seat tube had bent to the point where ripples had formed at the back of the bend and the top 3 inches were rusted to the point of being held together by the paint itself.

In truth it wasn't really worth even half what I paid, even with the yellow Skyways but it's looking a bit better lately.

Forks on it were a complete bag of sh!te and in all probability slightly bent too.

Will have the mags airblasted the same as oldschoolace had his done last week then get around to finishing off the frame at some point this summer.
Still absolutely zero idea on what frame it actually is but given the quality of the welds and so on, probably hand built.

I'll nip in the shed shortly and take a picture of it's current condition.

Here ya go.

As you can see the seat tube is now much, much lower (screw you, rust)

With some primer thrown on to show how the welds now look.

The guy we had repair the weld did a decent job of it to be fair.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 02:01 PM by Tachikoma »

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 03:31 PM »
Looking at that back end - I reckon you're right, it's hand-made - but the downtube, downtube gusset, half a seattube, chainstays (including the brackett) and the looptail and drops are from a 1982/3 Falcon Pro - they're almost identical to the Cyclepro one's as well (but the seattube gusset doesn't have the 3 holes). :)
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

punkdSICO

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 04:55 PM »
Well whatever it is, its going to be super nice looking bike when finished..

Defo keep us updated with any progress and, big thanks for the pictures..

Paul

you-loze

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 09:14 PM »
It's the BMX equivalent of Jodi Marsh, truly horrible...

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 09:19 PM »
awesome some pics

cant believe what a pain its been to get it to that state, but i think when finished the result will be worth it, a hybrid/bespoke bmx, would be really nice to find out the provenance of the frame

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 09:26 PM »
jodi  marsh would nt look bad on all 4 s with a seatpost in her !    i like it !  different for sure ! Someones sat down at some point and decided to make a crazy frame so respect!

dan-dare

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 09:28 PM »
RAF

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Quirky eBay Freestyler - 6 months ago.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx