gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 10:18 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  re-chrome or not ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: re-chrome or not ?  (Read 907 times)

gmac

re-chrome or not ?
« on: June 18, 2006, 05:42 PM »
I am currently restoring an '81 Supergoose frame which was in a bit of a state.
The seat post was well rusted in, and had also been masked up and painted while it was mounted  :idiot2: Man that bastard didne wanna cam oot  >:(
I managed to pursuade it to leave though - after about an hour with various substances, tools, weapons, and some outstanding variations of the English language.

The problem is though - After removing the faded and badly damaged decals, I started to attack the chrome with Autosol. I have done one side, which looks ok, BUT before I start the other side I need to make a decision on wether to re-chrome or not. Inside the gusset there is alot of rust. I can't reach in there with anything to get it out.
The only way to get rid is obviously to have it media blasted. I would like to keep the original chrome, but the rust IS bad, and you can see it through the hole in the Goosey gusset quite easily, and it looks poo. The main top tube has a couple of fairly large scratches on the underside, that have gone through the chrome, and the frame in general has a fair few light scratches on it. The kind of one's you wouldn't usually worry about, but coupled with all the other stuff, just add to it's not great state.

I have been trying to convince myself that it wouldn't matter too much, and original is best, but I keep coming back to the fact that it IS there, and it doesn't look good. What would you lot do ?

Be nice to get an outside view, cos it's getting on me t1ts now  :D

Cheers RADders

Guy  :)

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
Re: re-chrome or not ?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 05:57 PM »
Re-chrome dude every time - you've got to be happy...

DR VINOAH

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 06:05 PM »
i know what ya saying ,to chrome or paint got on me tits also
thats why the frame sat in me shed for 5 months
when i did the goose ,i flipped a coin
and the paint won :daumenhoch:

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 07:30 PM »
Are they chrome or nickle plated when original ?
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

gmac

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 07:37 PM »
Not sure about the Super Billy, cos this is the first one I've had, but it's deffo chrome and not nickel. I know what you're thinking though, cos I've got a few other early Gooses, and they are all nickel plated.

silentpartner

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 07:50 PM »
my 81 supergoose is chrome  :daumenhoch: but it will soon be black, i think  :-\

alan  ;)

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 08:15 PM »
I'd go for the chrome if you can wait for the chrome platers to get round to it - in their own time  ;)

It will be worth it in the end  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

gmac

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 08:30 PM »
I'd go for the chrome if you can wait for the chrome platers to get round to it - in their own time  ;)

It will be worth it in the end  :daumenhoch:

:LolLolLolLol: Yeah - they ain't exactly the fastest things on the planet are they ?  :D

selfpreservation

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 08:52 PM »
if your askin yourself questions yould be best to rechrome it cause it will just annoy you i reckon

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  re-chrome or not ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx