gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 06:13 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Stuck Stem
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Stuck Stem  (Read 1137 times)

750Rush

Stuck Stem
« on: March 16, 2012, 12:12 PM »
I started stripping my US Supergoose last night, but can't get the stem out. I've removed the stem bolt completely, and the grub screws from the Suntour head lock nut, but the stem will not budge. I think it's rusted in. I've given the head tube a liberal spray of WD40 and no luck, I even tried a gentle tap of the base of the stem with a metal rod from inside the forks. Any help much appreciated! If/when removed, the next job is the stuck Renthal seatpost!!

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:14 PM by 750Rush »

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Stuck Stem
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 12:24 PM »
Did the wedge from the stem bolt fall out the bottom? If not then that's prob what's still holding the stem in place. Screw the stem bolt back in a few turns and smack it down with a hammer to dislodge the wedge. Take out the bolt again give it a twist. Will be easier with the bars and wheel still on for leverage  :daumenhoch:

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 12:24 PM »
Turn the bike upside down. Then pour some diesel down the forks. leave it for a few hours to start releasing the rust. Screw the stem bolt back into the wedge and tap the stem bolt down to loosen the wedge. Then unscrew the stem bolt. Hopefully the wedge will now drop down out of the forks. Then give the stem another coating of diesel. Leave it for a bit then try and remove the stem. It would be better if you slung the front wheel back on so you can put the wheel between your legs whilst wiggling the handlebars/stem. I hope this helps. Stu :daumenhoch:

750Rush

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 12:51 PM »
Yes, the wedge is still in there.

Thanks for both replies, I'll have a go over the weekend and let you know how I get on.

750Rush

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 10:28 AM »
2/3 turns back in with the stem nut, two light taps with a rubber malet and down she went and pulled out nice and easy.

MANY THANKS!

I have filled the seat post with coca-cola and I'll try to remove that at lunchtime.

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 10:35 AM »
nice one .... hope the seat post comes out as easy for you .. but usually they don't  :P  good luck  :daumenhoch:

Little tip for the seat post .... clamp your stem to it for leverage  ;)

750Rush

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 02:13 PM »
I have uncovered a can of worms with the seatpost.

Please see seperate thread  >:(

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 03:59 PM »
I have suggested a solution to that one - give it a try and a i hope it works  ;)
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Stuck Stem

gfxgfx
gfx gfx