gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 05:20 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  bikes back in the day (ie 80's)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: bikes back in the day (ie 80's)  (Read 1795 times)

fatlander

bikes back in the day (ie 80's)
« on: June 15, 2006, 10:29 PM »
 :) what bikes were being used for riding, (ie in racing, f/style etc.) back in the early/mid 80's. i can think of some, can you elaborate on the list, and maybe make some comments in re: the bikes. :angel:

robinson, torker, burners, pk ripper (ie se racing) haro, kuwahara, jmc, cw, diamond back, gt, mongoose.   any more???????????

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Re: bikes back in the day (ie 80's)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 10:41 PM »
Puch, Redline, Steve Wilson, raleigh? ;)

I always wanted a Redline, anyone got one they want to sell?

fatlander

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 10:49 PM »
 :)thanx luckyelastic but i) raleigh were the burners, ii) i can't recall steve wilson, but thanx 4 puch (murry) and redline. and i've remembered another: skyway :angel:

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 10:54 PM »
:)thanx luckyelastic but i) raleigh were the burners, ii) i can't recall steve wilson, but thanx 4 puch (murry) and redline. and i've remembered another: skyway :angel:

I raced a Steve Wilson for 3.5yrs.  It was a bloke who started out building motor bikes and then moved onto BMXs.  I think it was him who organised the building of the Redditch track, I believe he was also strongly involved in the organising of the big international meet there in about '82 with the Americans.

fatlander

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 10:58 PM »
 :) hi again knickerlastic, can u go to the welcome site and ans wot i put there, please? :angel:

fatlander

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 11:30 PM »
 :) thanx, no furtheron!!!!!!!!!! :angel:

duncan

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 11:33 PM »

I remember seeing locally:

Ammaco Freestyler, DP Freestyler, Team Karate, TRM Freestyler, Curtis, Hutch, MT Silverfox.

The DP's were very popular.

fatlander

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 11:35 PM »
 :)wow!!!! they bring back memoroies. :angel:

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 12:03 AM »
The Supergoose 1&2 followed by the Skyway TA were the best all round bmx....

RADHAB

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 12:22 AM »
The Supergoose 1&2 followed by the Skyway TA were the best all round bmx....

Yep i'd go with that Sir Bob

Dave Munt was the master of the fast plant in 84-85, and before you say foot plant i promise you this was the most outrageous fastplant you'll ever see check the position of the pedals and the coaster brake! Bike is a Goose, please also bear in mind that he turned down GT and Skyway as sponsors because he said there bikes werent as good as his goose!!!! This guy also did 7 foot airs out of a 6 ft tall 4 foot wide quarterpipe in 1984 on the very same goose, the same ramp that Bob haro builds in his book......what a shame he gave up in mid 1985 :(

gmac

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 01:09 PM »
Steve - is that a pic of Dave Munt ? He was my best mate when we were kids. Haven't seen him since his family moved from the village where we lived. Must be about 25yrs ago. He moved to Alton I think. I remember one of his older sisters used to knock about with Liz Hurley when she was a punk  ;D and his younger brother Dan used to race. Sure does help when you have parents who give a shit about what you wanna do as kids.

andy619

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 02:34 PM »
GHP, Haro, Dyno, Huffy, Hutch and didn't Profile make a frame and fork.

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 02:43 PM »

Take your pick , check the museum for all the makes , although i bet there are loads that are not in there

Rich :)

greentoad

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 07:30 PM »
Hi

You trying to compile an ebay list   ;)

J.

RADHAB

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 10:22 PM »
Steve - is that a pic of Dave Munt ? He was my best mate when we were kids. Haven't seen him since his family moved from the village where we lived. Must be about 25yrs ago. He moved to Alton I think. I remember one of his older sisters used to knock about with Liz Hurley when she was a punk  ;D and his younger brother Dan used to race. Sure does help when you have parents who give a shit about what you wanna do as kids.

You're Shitting me right?????? He was Cannings best mate and we had a mental time back in 84-85, also Darren Walsh and Cris Laney did you know those guys as well???? Dave went a bit mental, if you look at all the pictures of the 1985 KOSP you'll see a guy with a painted white face...that was Dave!!!

gmac

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 10:49 PM »
Not shitting you Steve - I just found a pic of me and Dave arsing around on our bikes round me mum's house. I'll scan it in tomorrow. We were at junior school together - both founder members of 'the check shirt gang' if I remember correctly  ;D

scary_leary

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 10:52 PM »
the silver streak & cali were the best all round bmx.
affordable and unbreakable.

RADHAB

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 11:03 PM »
Not shitting you Steve - I just found a pic of me and Dave arsing around on our bikes round me mum's house. I'll scan it in tomorrow. We were at junior school together - both founder members of 'the check shirt gang' if I remember correctly  ;D

i remember Dave talking about that!!! No way!!!! We used to get so p!ssed at Mikes house it was outrageous!!! seriously though Guy, he was the raddest rider at the time in my opinion in the UK! I have video of him going higher and smoother than the pro's of the time, even Neil and Andy Ruffell at Docklands where that pic was taken were massively Jealous of him! Honestly! There is a BMX mag from the eighties, i cant remember which one but we were at Southsea and they did a photo shoot of Dave doing just about every variation of the miami hopper on the planet! He got the arse coz they called him the master of balance!

gmac

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2006, 09:34 AM »
Can't remember why we were wearing horse riding helmets and the like, but I think I must have yielded to Dave's superior silky skills, by just laying on the ground  ;D

Must have been between 1981 - 84, cos the old man changed his company car every 3 yrs, and that Tina is '81/'82.

Offline danny silverstreak

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2006, 09:53 AM »
Can't remember why we were wearing horse riding helmets and the like, but I think I must have yielded to Dave's superior silky skills, by just laying on the ground  ;D

Must have been between 1981 - 84, cos the old man changed his company car every 3 yrs, and that Tina is '81/'82.

fooking tina  :LolLolLolLol: , fook me guy youve got some proper slang going on , love it pal   :LolLolLolLol:

RADHAB

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2006, 12:37 AM »
Bloody small world aint it Guy!!!! Wow!

gmac

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2006, 10:03 AM »
Sure is Steve - you any idea where he is these days ? Be great to get in touch with him again after all this time. I seem to remember I did see him once after we'd all left school. Very briefly, but I think he was an estate agent, and driving a Mk1 Golf Gti.

RADHAB

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2006, 10:29 PM »
I spoke to Mike today and will ask him in the week if he knows what happened to him....Be good to catch up with him meself. I'll keep yer posted chap.

angrykid

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 03:58 PM »
Who's RADHAB? I used to hang out with Mr Laney (D Walsh) and trying to contact the old git.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  bikes back in the day (ie 80's)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx