gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 03:38 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  odd sized fork steerer
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: odd sized fork steerer  (Read 829 times)

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
odd sized fork steerer
« on: March 02, 2012, 02:48 PM »
Bought a mini recently that I didn't need really. Put it up for sale. Then stripped it to clean up and regrease and stem was solid in the forks. Took it to work and dropped it in the machine shop and the engineer drilled it out nice for me. GOt forks home and went to put a generic 22.2 stem in it and it doesn't fit. So measured everything and the steered internal dimensions are only 21mm. Where the fork race sits on the steerer (inch headset fitted) there is a shim around the steerer tube to make the one inch race fit snug.

Now where the fook can I get a stem to fit them. My bargain is going to end up costing me a new set of mini forks. Gutted.

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
Re: odd sized fork steerer
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 06:09 PM »
Buy a cheep stem and get the stem shaft turned down by 1.2mm. The wedge may also need doing if it doesn't fit. Make sure the stem you use has a thick tapered shaft. So when you shave it down it doesn't affect the strength. Hope this helps stu :daumenhoch:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 06:14 PM »
Buy a cheep stem and get the stem shaft turned down by 1.2mm. The wedge may also need doing if it doesn't fit. Make sure the stem you use has a thick tapered shaft. So when you shave it down it doesn't affect the strength. Hope this helps stu :daumenhoch:
thought of that, but the three stems i have here that could work have the normal sized tubing, and shaving them down would be useless

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 06:33 PM »
If you can't turn down the stem or drill the forks or take a little off each of them then your only chioce is to get a shaft made up that fits into your forks with a wedge and a long bolt. But the top will have to be the larger 1"1/8th size so you can use a cheap 1"1/8th stem.  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  odd sized fork steerer

gfxgfx
gfx gfx