gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 20, 2024, 12:12 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Falcon Pro Aero Flyer (UPDATE: Photographic Evidence; It Works!)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Falcon Pro Aero Flyer (UPDATE: Photographic Evidence; It Works!)  (Read 48015 times)

renegaderacer

First off; this might not be what you'd call a proper 'freestyle' bike. However, in the early 80's a cheap bike like this would've been an all-rounder; I'm just focusing it a bit more!   :daumenhoch:

Now, the purists are going to HATE THIS but the important thing to know is this project is being built on three foundations. It has to be CHEAP, FUN TO BUILD and FUN TO RIDE!
But most importantly, CHEAP!!! :LolLolLolLol:

It started off when I had a lot of parts left over from the Badlander build and I thought 'Ooh, all I need is a frame and forks and I can build another bike (almost!)'.  ;)

Nothing was coming my way, meaning nothing was cheap enough for me!  :LolLolLolLol:

Then rakas17 put one of his Falcon Pro's on eBay and I thought I'd have a cheeky bid not expecting to win this fine piece of British engineering but lo and behold a few days later I'm looking at a quality example of a Falcon Pro Aero Flyer sitting at my feet!  ;D

For those of you who have seen my frame restoration thread you'll know how rusty it was when I got it. However, it cleaned up nicely with Coke and foil and a bit of polish and Del did a first class job of replicating the tatty remains of decals I gave him!

I used the cheapy stem I originally had on the Badlander and gave it a polish up and it turned out pretty good!

Next I turned to the wheels. I was always going to use the wheels my Badlander had rolled on for many years but didn't know what I was going to use them on. I decided to use them on this build and I know they're not correct for the period (1983) but as I said at the beginning, this is a cheap build and as I already had them, I used them!

They were pretty manky but if you've seen my wheel resto thread you'd have seen they turned out pretty well. I got the GT hubs chromed and powdered by Dan and rubbed the Sun Mistral rims down and had Dan powder them too.

I picked up sme tyres off ed209 but when I fitted them I wasn't sure if they suited the colourful wheels. This seems to be echoed by several other people too.

However, when I loose fitted them to the chrome frame, they looked a hundred times better!  :daumenhoch: I've got some black with whitewall tyres coming so I'll try those too and see what people think.

I'm still waiting for the bars, seat post and seat to turn up but my Tioga stationary rotor cup turned up yesterday so I could finally start to put the bike together!

This is my favourite part (aside from riding it!) but isn't it frustrating when your nice, shiney chrome frame gets covered in greasy fingerprints! A good polish after it's built I think!  ;D

Hopefully it'll be finished within a week once I get the bars, seatpost and seat (I'm expecting to have to do some work on the bars and seat!  ;)

The final touch is going to be a set of custom pads from Firebird Steve and from his artwork he sent me; I can't wait!  ;D

The spec so far is:

1983 Falcon Pro Aero Flyer f&f
NOS Pro Landar hollow crank
NOS Tioga sealed BB
NOS KKT AMX pedals
Tioga Beartrap 2 headset
NOS SR 44T chainring
YBN chain
NOS Raleigh Burner brakes
NOS Vans brake shoe pads
Belvin pegs
Cheap stem which was on my Badlander from new!
NOS Odyssey stem bolt
NOS AME round grips
NOS Dia Compe Tech 4 levers
NOS Sharp lever grips
Early 80's GT Pro bars (apparently)
NOS Meng Jing layback seatpost
Kashimax Aero copy seat
NOS 1984 seat clamp
NOS 1987 ACS Rotor
NOS Dia Compe cable guides
Blue and green brake cables
Custom decals By Del
Powdercoating by Dan
GT hubs from my Badlander, chromed and powdered by Dan with new decals by Del
Sun Mistral rims (early ones) from my Badlander, prepared by me, powdered by Dan
NOS Shimano 16T freewheel
Custom Falcon Pro dustcaps
Comp ST copy tyres by Duro (Sheng Shin white walls on their way)

I think that's all!  :LolLolLolLol:

I'm sure she's not everyone's cup of tea but I hope you like how she's coming along?

Cheers,

Giles  ;D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 10:45 PM by renegaderacer »

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
Re: Falcon Pro Aero Flyer
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:45 AM »
It definitely has some colours but looking proper 80's :daumenhoch:

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 06:11 PM »
Wow that looks mad  :shocked: cracking update mate ,great resto and attention too detail ,deffo 80's colours  but you need a red dust cap to finnish  :D well done  :daumenhoch:

WizardWeb

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 07:14 PM »
Great build ! You're right, a lot of people had some common or garden bike that they added parts to. My cousin had a Puch something or other and that got new parts as and when money was available, ending up very similar to this bike.  :)

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 07:41 PM »
I like that mate. I would buy a set of red KKT's and have one red and one blue, then one blue and one red AME grip to keep the colour theme going

rad_pitt

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 11:38 PM »
I like that mate. I would buy a set of red KKT's and have one red and one blue, then one blue and one red AME grip to keep the colour theme going

I was thinking the same - a miss mash of colours will look ace  :4_17_5:

renegaderacer

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 12:28 AM »

I was thinking the same - a miss mash of colours will look ace  :4_17_5:

Yeh, funnily enough, looking at the pics I'm thinking the same too!  :LolLolLolLol:

This was meant to be a cheap build that used up all the parts I had but I might have to make an exception.  :daumenhoch:

The only thing is the green grips I've got go with the decals but you never know how your bike is going to turn out until it's done!  ;)

renegaderacer

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 12:41 AM »
Right; time for a small update...

I've changed the dealer decal for another one very kindly supplied by Del which has the original white background as it's easier to read on a chrome frame.  :daumenhoch:

The main thing is I got new tyres through the post to see what they look like and to see what people think.

What do people think?

Personally, I think the whitewalls look better on the wheels but the grey tyres go better with the chrome frame, so I'm just as unsure as when I started!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 12:47 AM »
Good choice on the decal change there bro  :daumenhoch:  Tyres................of the 2 pairs, I would keep the whitewalls on  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

deeman

Re: Falcon Pro Aero Flyer (UPDATE: Which Tyres?)
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 12:57 AM »
AAAGH!i cant decide on the tyres,i like em both!!the whitewalls look more authentic i suppose but im generally not a fan of them!one grey and one whitewall??keep the mish mash theme going?? :-\ :daumenhoch:

ratty67vw

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 01:53 AM »
very funky build  :daumenhoch:
i like the white walls but also reckon you should at least try one of each to see what it would look like .
i had a falcon pro back in the 80s paid £25 for it bought it from a punk rocker with a green and pink pointy mohican hair do crazy times  :)

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 01:57 AM »
grey tyres for me :daumenhoch:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 06:27 AM »
One of each !

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 07:43 AM »
Grey for me. :daumenhoch:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Bones619

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 02:25 PM »
Grey for me. I have a totally original FP Zeta and I love it. It's the bike I started off riding back in 1983!

renegaderacer

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 03:24 PM »
Grey for me. I have a totally original FP Zeta and I love it. It's the bike I started off riding back in 1983!

Cool!  :daumenhoch:

Good to see all  this Falcon Pro love!!  :smitten:

I must admit I'm surprised about the popularity of the grey tyres. I thought the white walls would've had it for sure!

I think the chrome frame makes a big difference to how the grey tyres look though.  ;)

deeman

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 07:24 PM »

Cool!  :daumenhoch:

Good to see all  this Falcon Pro love!!  :smitten:

I must admit I'm surprised about the popularity of the grey tyres. I thought the white walls would've had it for sure!

I think the chrome frame makes a big difference to how the grey tyres look though.  ;)

the grey with the chrome is sweet! :daumenhoch:

renegaderacer

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 02:44 PM »
Decided to try out the red and blue theme throughout!

All the parts are ordered; just got to wait for the rest to arrive. I've got to be patient!!  :LolLolLolLol:

Maybe it'll even be ready for the Volksworld show.......... ;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 12:32 AM by renegaderacer »

punkdSICO

Re: Falcon Pro Aero Flyer (UPDATE: Going for more red and blue!)
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 02:56 PM »
That is looking really great. Im loving the asymmetry thing you have going on..

Personally I prefer the tan wall/white tyres but I have a thing for those tyres so it might just be me..

Nice build..

Paul

renegaderacer

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2012, 03:19 PM »
That is looking really great. Im loving the asymmetry thing you have going on..

Personally I prefer the tan wall/white tyres but I have a thing for those tyres so it might just be me..

Nice build..

Paul
Cheers Paul, glad you like how she's coming along! Haven't decided about the tyres yet but I do like the grey on the chrome! :daumenhoch:

paddy2

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2012, 07:27 PM »
my mint survivor pug has a bob addy cycles watford sticker on,is yours a repop as mines sl peeling ,rest of bike sweet

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 08:04 PM »
YES YES YES !

Loving it, those pedals look awesome, slap on the grips on the alternate sides and its going to look fooking blinding, really excited to see this finished

renegaderacer

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2012, 08:22 PM »
my mint survivor pug has a bob addy cycles watford sticker on,is yours a repop as mines sl peeling ,rest of bike sweet
My sticker was quite good nick but had a piece missing from the top so and Del made me a new one which looks spot on! :daumenhoch:

deeman

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2012, 09:53 PM »
it shouldnt work......but it looks blinding!loving it! :daumenhoch:

renegaderacer

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2012, 09:56 PM »
YES YES YES !

Loving it, those pedals look awesome, slap on the grips on the alternate sides and its going to look fooking blinding, really excited to see this finished
The blue grips are on the way (along with a couple of other bits!). Can't wait to see it finished either! :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Falcon Pro Aero Flyer (UPDATE: Photographic Evidence; It Works!)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx