gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 09:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Info on Stinger Aero
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Info on Stinger Aero  (Read 3502 times)

kidretro

Info on Stinger Aero
« on: March 12, 2012, 01:19 PM »
Hi, can any of you eggheads out there tell me any info on the Lew-ways Stinger Aero, I understand they were made in Cannock, Staffordshire  :Great_Britain:. They have Italian made seat & freestyler-gr wheels ( Bernardi-Mozzi-Motor). I remember reading somewhere the seat was designed on the Ferrari Testarossa ( does look like it ) can anyone confirm it ? or shed any more light on this subject. :-\ any info appreciated

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Re: Info on Stinger Aero
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 03:41 PM »
Chat with Jaymz mate, he has one of these. :daumenhoch:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 06:51 PM »
Here was mine pre resto

the previous owner had painted the frame in magnolia gloss paint

complete strip

polish all parts

Rebuild, replacing the saddle as it had faded to orange, and I had a red one kicking around, and replaced the brakes with MX copies, as it was fitted with nasty, sturmey archer / grifter style brakes

I dont think they were actually made in the UK. Lew Ways of Cannock was just a distributor they had their own range bikes and outdoor toys called the team playaway range.

There was a pit bike version along with twin top tube freestyle variation available in 20" and 16". The standard stinger there was a mkl and mkll version, the mkl is nicer the mkll went really cheap and tatty

There was an earlier range, of which I currently have the pit bike version with twin downtubes [up for sale once i've got more forks for it]

the iirc was made by iscaselle, I sold it to a young lad over on ralieghburner.com in the end. The testarossa thing was probably stemmed from the threads I have made about the bike on various forums, I cant remember who it was that first said it, but that will probably be the reference you're referring to.

I have loads of pics of the resto, and dont hesitate to ask me anything about it,

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 07:18 PM »
wow ! where did you get that wonderful bike   ;)
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 07:19 PM »
wow ! where did you get that wonderful bike   ;)
I think their name was Wendy Platt  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 07:30 PM »
 :2gunsfiring_v1: ;D
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

kidretro

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 08:15 PM »
 Nice job on the Stinger, I'm a newbie to the site & will be adding pics of my own Stinger shortly. They might have been cheap & people keep asking how much is it worth ? well I don't as I've not seen another for sale. I simply tell people I don't know, its not like a Raleigh burner were if you were looking to buy one you'd be spoilt for choice.

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 08:20 PM »
Nice job on the Stinger, I'm a newbie to the site & will be adding pics of my own Stinger shortly. They might have been cheap & people keep asking how much is it worth ? well I don't as I've not seen another for sale. I simply tell people I don't know, its not like a Raleigh burner were if you were looking to buy one you'd be spoilt for choice.
If you are restoring, I have the full decal set that ive redrawn for mine, just never had them printed, can send you the files

kidretro

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 09:27 AM »
If you are restoring, I have the full decal set that ive redrawn for mine, just never had them printed, can send you the files
Thanks for the offer but theres very little left to do, It must be one of the only survivors, I may change the tyres as they do look aged but they're original and have almost new tread. Might change the pedals as these are a little scuffed on the edges & you can still get the same ones on ebay or I have got my eye on some new upgrades. I have replaced the brakes ( went for the same ones as yourself ) also replaced the crank as the chrome was starting to flake but I kept the chain ring. For some strange reason when I got it someone had added crappy wheel discs, this has kept the wheels near mint & even has the original reflectors. Found it badly listed on ebay & picked it up from a container storage yard where it must have been lying for years. Once I sus how to add my pics I'll post them for all to see. Cheers

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Info on Stinger Aero

gfxgfx
gfx gfx