gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 02:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Help needed ....... sealed hubs ! Sorted thanks : )
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Help needed ....... sealed hubs ! Sorted thanks : )  (Read 943 times)

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
Help needed ....... sealed hubs ! Sorted thanks : )
« on: February 26, 2012, 01:44 PM »
I have a set of GT sealed bearing hubs and want to strip them down , I have taken all the nuts off etc but the axle won't come out  :-\    Is there a knack it getting these out , do you have to tap it etc ?

Once the axles out are the sealed bearings easy to remove , best way ???  :-\

Thanks lads

Joff  :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 09:03 PM by NORTY40 »
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline stevesredvxr

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Help needed ....... sealed hubs !
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 01:51 PM »

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 01:57 PM »
Use a rubber mallet or put a knackered wheel nut over one end of the axle and hit with a hammer. The opposite side bearing will come out. Put the axle back in and repeat for the other bearing.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

In2 bmx

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 01:58 PM »
Bring them mine tomorrow . I'll get the fookers out ...  >:D

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 02:00 PM »
Here's something I wrote over on the Museum about Peregrine sealed axles:

The axle had collars on both inner end for the bearings to sit against whilst they're in the cups on the hubs. To get them out you have to hit one end of the axle which will eventually knock out one bearing, if you're axle is already knackered just smack the end - if you want to do it without knackering the axle stick an axle nut (that you don't want) on the end of it and hit that. Or use a rubber mallet.

Here's a piccy of both front and rear Perry sealed axles (the top one has King cones on it) so you get the idea - note the 'collars' on them that go either side of the inside of the bearings:

If the bearings are shot and you need to remove both, after geting one out, put the axle back in and hit the other bearing out. You can buy replacement bearings (look at the bearing code written on the bearings rubber seals and eBay search for them) for a quid each. You can also still buy replacement axles - Rini Enterprises, Standard Byke Co and some other places sell them, and it'll be cheaper than getting one made up from scratch.

When replacing the bearings, lightly grease the 'cups' on the hubs that the bearings sit in, you'll need to use a socket from a socket set that it the same diameter as the OUTSIDE metal ring on the bearings (if you tap them back in using the middle of the bearing it'll knacker the bearings) and that the socket doesn't touch the black rubber seal on the bearings. Pop one back in, then the axle, and then pop the other bearing over the axle and tap that one in.

You should get virtually no play on the axle when the bearings are seated correctly (although I have noticed this can vary with Perry SP's).
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 02:52 PM »
Can't ask for better than that Danny ........... bar you coming and doing them for me  :LolLolLolLol:

Great info mate , really appreciated  :4_17_5:

Steve .....  :LolLolLolLol:   why does that not surprise me  ::)  ;D

Carl ...... i have seen your resto skills after 6 cans of Fosters and it ain't good mate  ::)  ......... sounds like fun though so i'll bring them 2moz  :LolLolLolLol:

Update .....

Jobs a good'un , axles and bearings all out  :)

Thanks Dan for the info , top man :4_17_5:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 09:05 PM by NORTY40 »
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
Re: Help needed ....... sealed hubs ! Sorted thanks : )
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 05:25 PM »
nice pic of the super pro axles, just made me realise ive got a pair of king cones on a spare axle :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Help needed ....... sealed hubs ! Sorted thanks : )

gfxgfx
gfx gfx