gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 03:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Home Polishing Advice
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Home Polishing Advice  (Read 3265 times)

hooga1975

Home Polishing Advice
« on: February 15, 2012, 11:10 AM »
I have a few items that I want to polish, but I have never done it before.

I have seen some kits on ebay that will go into an electric drill.  Has anybody used this type before and are they any good?

If anyone could point me in the right direction or give me some advice that would be great.

Deano

Re: Home Polishing Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 11:28 AM »
Mate it depends on how big the parts are you want to polish and if they are ready to polish ie sanded down enough or smooth enough.

As for polishing kits i use Thepolishingshop.co.uk and buy the 3 stage kits as they are a good enough kit to start with imo. Think there about £11 for 3 mops and 3 bars of soap (polishing compound)

If parts need sanded before polish i normally sand from 240 grit up to 2000 then polish with Autosol then mops then Peek p[olish for the final mirror hit.
Thats basics :daumenhoch: one thing ill say is you have to make it look worse before it gets better, dont be scared just go for it as long as you dont take any stamps or cast marks of the parts so they still keep there original look.  8)

hooga1975

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 11:33 AM »
Good advice there Deano.  I didnt realise the items need sanding before polishing!  I would have been disapointed had I not asked the question :daumenhoch:

ozone

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 01:42 PM »
Mate it depends on how big the parts are you want to polish and if they are ready to polish ie sanded down enough or smooth enough.

As for polishing kits i use Thepolishingshop.co.uk and buy the 3 stage kits as they are a good enough kit to start with imo. Think there about £11 for 3 mops and 3 bars of soap (polishing compound)

If parts need sanded before polish i normally sand from 240 grit up to 2000 then polish with Autosol then mops then Peek p[olish for the final mirror hit.
Thats basics :daumenhoch: one thing ill say is you have to make it look worse before it gets better, dont be scared just go for it as long as you dont take any stamps or cast marks of the parts so they still keep there original look.  8)

2000 is overkill if you have a polishing kit.  A decent medium felt wheel and brown (cutting) compound means you can get away with going above 400 (800 tops) grit paper as that combo will buff out the marks from the abrasive paper.   Drop down to a softer mop with green or blue soap for the next stage then break out the Peek to finish the job.  Sorted...

This is not about cutting corners but more about giving your right arm a break.  Unless you like practising that back and forth motion ad nauseam.   :angel:

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 10:09 PM »
temperature will play a part - let some items cool down or you can get a slight colour change in places

in sunlight you might still see hair lines - this will show up as a rainbow colour in a single line as the sunlight reflects off of the surface

a locked down polisher will be easier to work with as this gives both hands to hold a item.
you can use hand polishing for smaller items, but this may not be as so precise on some corners

when sanding, use a wooden block for a flat sand this will give a nice even surface

don't be too tempted to rush things - work on them in there stages - then go on to the next - the more time you spend on it getting it right, the better it will look in the end

from this

to this

The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 10:18 PM »
nice stems...PERSONALLY preffered them as they were,but the outcome still looks good anyway.  :daumenhoch:

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 10:40 PM »
I have a few of these and wanted a polished one

they will be for sale soon - left raw so the buyer can choose to polish or not  ;)

it take time and practice with polishing - the more you try the better it gets
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline GTnumber1

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 11:11 PM »
dont use dremels they are dog shit  :)

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 11:17 PM »
dremel are good for getting inside bolt heads - very small stuff and cutting

multy speed and wear goggles as stuff flicks off as you take a close look

and forgot to say about mop polishing on bench grinders - place a soft mat under the grinder ~ stuff will fly off or drop down, and a fresh polished item look shite with a concreat mark from a drop

gloves - thick leather glove will take out some of the heat if you are grind polishing down and the item heats up - the item can get pretty hot pretty darn quick and burn  :shocked:

Deano

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 12:49 AM »
I only go to 2000 grit on alloy wheels and use 2 stages of mop. i guess everyone has there way and you will find yours like B says the more you do the better you get. Also different metals polish up to different shades.

Im no pro i just dabble. Only just got air tools and full kit so should get better results soon.

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 01:10 AM »

:LolLolLolLol:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 07:21 AM »
Bendy, your names not Neil is it?  ;D

hooga1975

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 11:37 AM »
Well I have ordered a  polishing kit so I will hopefully be able to have a go by the weekend.  Hopefully mine will turn out as well as bendys

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 12:12 PM »

:-[  sorry that went over my head as there are so many neils >?

polishing takes time and i have fooked up a lot of bits - it just takes time to learn how the stuff works - have fun, but be safe  :daumenhoch:

ozone

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 04:08 PM »

:-[  sorry that went over my head as there are so many neils >?

polishing takes time and i have fooked up a lot of bits - it just takes time to learn how the stuff works - have fun, but be safe  :daumenhoch:

He's on about Neil N2CUS.  He took a bit of stick for his polishing fetish but he seemed like a nice enough guy and offered to help me out a few times.   :coolsmiley:

He also painted a few sets of Skyways which didn't go down to well either.   :police: ;D

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 10:00 PM »
Did they have polished items back in the 80's then? Must have missed that  :angel:

sid1972

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 10:03 PM »
 ::) No Nick, but not sure they had show and shine either  ???

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 10:25 PM »
I like to shine stuff, stops me going round house's of people who moan, and burning them down  :crazy2: ;D

ozone

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 08:52 AM »
Did they have polished items back in the 80's then? Must have missed that  :angel:

They did have them back in the 80s.  There was loads of evidence of these items on the site but it all got lost when the mods went crazy and dumped all of the old threads.  Guess you'll just have to take my word for this claim since the evidence can't be retrieved.   ;D

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 04:10 PM »

Polish smolish .......

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 07:13 PM »
not tried that stuff ? is it a paste or spray  ???

;D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Home Polishing Advice

gfxgfx
gfx gfx