gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 06:33 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  84 Cali Mongoose build (WIP)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 84 Cali Mongoose build (WIP)  (Read 1204 times)

Rever

84 Cali Mongoose build (WIP)
« on: February 03, 2012, 09:11 PM »
After receiving some excellent support from a wanted thread I thought id share the build. Still a work in progress as I collect some bits but will keep this updated with how it develops.

Bit of background - got back into bmx's last year with a friend and built a strictly budgeted Aero Reflex. After having a summer / autumn of fun the bug had bit and it was time to build the bike I couldnt have BITD (such a familiar story). Anyhow it was Mongoose Cali I wanted as an older friend who seemed to have everything had one and as he was the local 'cool' kid it meant it was essential to have one.

So heres a couple of pics of the Aero - several people to thank for help with this - Clean - amazingly helpful, Del - excellent custom stickers and Rad Rat for a one piece pedals and chainring that is way too good for the Aero lol.

and my easy pimping stickers (my fave part)

As stated we had a few very good days out taking in Newcastles quayside and the bug was in.....so found this frame for a price too good to turn down and started collecting some bits

Blue pedals.....not 100% if im set on this may end up polished

After reading some old back scanned images of BMX mags on here I read that the original Cali one piece cranks were considered too short and some 175mm cranks would be a wise upgrade so I found these Takagi's that need a good clean

I had all of the above by maybe september / October last year and then I cottoned on that finding some 80's goose forks was very difficult. I searched for a few months with no luck and the odd pair I did see did potty money - more than the fram by far. At my wits end I made the wanted thread a couple of days ago and a kind chap KDW712 linked me to some on ebay and basically saved the build as I was ready to sell up. I got those forks for £42 in the end  :daumenhoch:

Still some way to go clearly but all help, comments appreciated

Cheers for reading

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:14 PM by Rever »

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: 84 Cali Mongoose build (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:35 PM »
Glad you finally got sorted out with the forks bud   :daumenhoch:  as for decals i believe this is the man for goose decs check out his listing and scroll down   :daumenhoch:      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mongoose-decals-Supergoose-Team-BMX-vintage-old-school-/250983467197?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a6fc7c8bd

Rever

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:53 PM »
Rick you star !! That is perfect as it was only going to be a matter of time before I asked if anyone knew where I could get some !!

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 10:07 PM »
your welcome bud  :daumenhoch: check out his shop he does goose grips too and i think he does a deal if you buy both ,send him pm  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  84 Cali Mongoose build (WIP)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx