gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 09:26 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Spray painting
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Spray painting  (Read 937 times)

adeshere

Spray painting
« on: February 02, 2012, 01:20 PM »
Well, got a new frame to paint but with this terrible cold weather not sure it will take.

Anyone else spraying at the moment ?

Anyone know how the cold weather would effect the paint even if the part is warmed first ?

I'm tempted to build myself a temporary spray booth/box and heat that .. anyone tried that ?

Offline mattbloke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Spray painting
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 02:42 PM »
even if you warm the part and the paint, you could end up with the paint finish 'dulling' off ie, comes out with a nice gloss finish while wet, but goes almost hazy by the time it dries. at least, this is what i have found from my own experience.

splodge

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 03:32 PM »
even if you warm the part and the paint, you could end up with the paint finish 'dulling' off ie, comes out with a nice gloss finish while wet, but goes almost hazy by the time it dries. at least, this is what i have found from my own experience.

Yup I agree, it will also run very easily as it doesn't instantly stick & dry when it hits the metal. Its a pain in da arse. I've been tempted to wack the heating up & try it in the lounge when the Mrs is out but she would'nt understand why....  :shocked:

Threaders

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 03:54 PM »
I also find the paint cracks as it dries. Wouldnt advise it in this weather, unless you have a garage :daumenhoch:

punkdSICO

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 04:45 PM »
I also find the paint cracks as it dries. Wouldnt advise it in this weather, unless you have a garage :daumenhoch:
But wouldn't the garage be cold aswell?

How about if you keep the frame and paint indoors so it is nice and warm, then bring it outside and paint quickly, before returning indoors to dry??

ta,

Paul

1mancity2

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 10:11 AM »
Way way way to cold atm, your paint won't adhere to the frame, unless you have a heated garage leave it for a couple of weeks until this cold spell passes.

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 04:23 PM »
just sprayed a dark green door on a previa today and it was like glass when i finished, it must of been about minus 2-3......    ;)
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

ratty67vw

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 01:17 AM »
if your painting with rattle cans or cellulose paint leave it till it gets warm or the paint will bloom (go white )
 if you useing automotive 2 pack paint them work away (not that you should be useing 2 pack paint at home )

paulski1966

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 04:40 PM »
If you are desperate to spray it now you can also keep the frame somewhere warm then use a hairdryer to dry the paint as you go, i've done this before and it works, but to be honest I'd wait until it warms up as using a dryer will blow more dust and crap into the paint unless you are somewhere very clean. If you are using 2 pack you can get cold weather hardener, however if it's stupid cold the paint will still take a long while to set.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Spray painting

gfxgfx
gfx gfx