gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975617 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 22, 2024, 11:50 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Tyre restoration for beginners........
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Tyre restoration for beginners........  (Read 2827 times)

Offline Bfellows

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Tyre restoration for beginners........
« on: November 20, 2013, 09:26 PM »
So, your long awaited tyres have finally turned up from distant shores and whilst described NOS and there is no denying that they are NOS, there is definitely an emphasis on the OS and i’m not thinking old stock either............ Still, all may not be lost?  Crack open a bevvy, wait till the misses has gone out, raid the cupboard under the sink and give it some......

(It is essential to understand that this process will not be successful unless you use every bathroom in the house at least once, empty the hot water tank on bath night for the kids, ruin two scrubbing brushes, one green sponge, two paint brushes, one of the kids blankets and then make the discovery that Autoglym rubber care turns any flat surface into an ice rink........ this includes her precious stone craft shower tray)

Step one:  As they came........  Don’t put them through the dish washer, the salt combined with the high heat will dry them out even more.

Step 2: Fill bath with hot water straight from the tank and leave to soften for 30 minutes.

Step 3:  Remove from hot water and mount on any old wheel you have knocking around (see my other threads on how to collect an assortment of hubless black tuff 2s.....) Whilst they are still warm and soft inflate to around 15 psi or just enough for them to take the correct shape.  Remember, now they are full of air they will float........ I didn’t and had to do this again hence the bin full of water balanced on top to hold them down.

Step 4: Again, while still warm fully inflate (I wouldn’t recommend going for 80psi...... just enough for them to take the correct shape fully – not an issue for me as I have no intention of riding them.)  Transfer to a bathroom of your choice for the next stage.  I recommend one that is predominantly white and has recently been cleaned.

Step 5:  Take Fairy liquid, any shower gel, shampoo etc that you can find and scrub the buggery out of them.  Don’t fanny about – they can stand it, they’re tyres for gods sake. 

Shortly after completing this you will be reliably informed that that nice smelling purple shower gel was “£18.00.”   Respond to this by launching into a Monty Pythonesque tirade about how you were so poor when you were growing up you had to use washing up liquid instead of shampoo and it serves her bloody right for spending £18.00 on shower gel anyway.  (later she will point out that you bought it as part of a gift set – retire to garage briefly to regroup.)

Stage 6:  Admire your handy work so far.  Put bathmats that are now covered in black soapy crap in the bottom of the washing basket and cover well with your white work shirts.  Bask in your own glory so much that you manage to completely overlook the state of the grout in the new shower.  Promise wife a new ensuite next year.

Stage 7:  Optional this bit, but does help to keep them soft IMO.  Cover tyres with Autoglym rubber care, or similar.  Do not do this on white Panaracers as the Autoglym has a cream colour to it which you will then have to scrub off.......  If you do go on to mount tyres on a rider for pity sake give them a bloody good clean first as they will be slippy.

Stage 8: Leave over night for Autoglym stuff to soak well in.  If your tyres are slicks you can just buff off the excess Autoglym and you should get a matt finish, rather than a just from the Lithuanian carwash on the corner shine.  If treaded like comp 3 or similar just give them a light wash off with soapy water and a big paint brush to get into the treads and its usually enough to tone things down a touch.....

Stage 9:  Place in misses pride and joy spa bath thingy that never even gets bloody used and take comparison shots for RAD. 

Stand back, admire your handywork, then realise that unless you have plans on a vintage unicycle build you have to now do it all again.
Next week, smell the fear and panic as you attempt to bleach a rather saucy set of white Panaracer Freestyle tyres and halfway through notice the tan walls have gone a lovely milky colour..........
You always need a cheese option......

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
Re: Tyre restoration for beginners........
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 09:37 PM »
Great little tread  :4_17_5:

Get it

I'll get my coat

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 09:38 PM »
Great little tread  :4_17_5:

Get it

I'll get my coat

I'm tyred of your jokes!

wait for me! :LolLolLolLol:
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 09:39 PM »
Nice one Bert  :daumenhoch:

How many bathrooms do you potters have then  ???  :LolLolLolLol:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Bfellows

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 09:43 PM »
Posh up ere..... We've even got an indoor toilet  :daumenhoch:

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 09:50 PM »
Bloody hell,next you will be telling me you dont use old newspapers to wipe your arse  ;D
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Bfellows

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 09:54 PM »
No, still do that........  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 09:56 PM »
Great stuff Bert! Am looking forward to the white Panaracer thread. White freestyle tyres with tan walls are really hard to find, so I hope it's a success.

griff

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 09:57 PM »
best resto thread I've read in ages  :daumenhoch:

Offline Bfellows

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 09:59 PM »
Great stuff Bert! Am looking forward to the white Panaracer thread. White freestyle tyres with tan walls are really hard to find, so I hope it's a success.

My house smells of bleach and jif.......... 

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 10:23 PM »
"retire to garage briefly to regroup." ;D -- cool thread ^"^
 ... how much of Late Red is involved in Step 7 ?

Offline wilsey72

• Team Moderator
  • 900 Air
  • Thats corn that is.
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 11:23 PM »
Great read and great results.
The Mrs asked what I was giggling at... Nothing dear!!
Phew that was close!!
GLOUCESTER RIDE 28th July 2018

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 11:06 AM »
Great job.

I've got that exact bin in my bathroom  :daumenhoch:

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 12:55 PM »
laughed out loud in a quite office and got a stern look from my boss  :LolLolLolLol:
great thread  :daumenhoch:

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 01:39 PM »
Great thread Bertrand  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 02:33 PM »
Brilliant mate, I've some to do myself & this step by step guide is invaluable. One question Though, it seems to require many bathrooms I only have 1, if I used the bathrooms of family/friends would I achieve the same great results ???
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline Bfellows

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 04:03 PM »
One question Though, it seems to require many bathrooms I only have 1, if I used the bathrooms of family/friends would I achieve the same great results ???

I believe the use of the bathroom's of families and dear friends will also achieve the same results.  However, if said friends are male, or have an interest in BMX you may have to increase the level of ale consumed and possibly even spread the whole process out over a long weekend to achieve optimum results.........

As an alternative, you could always de camp to the kitchen...... especially if your kitchen is white and a high gloss finish to fully contrast with the dirt and grime you will inevitably shift in your quest for wheel loveliness.  (I have also found that carrying your wheels across the landing and downstairs whilst still wet also helps as you will find that the grime will cling much better to the carpet and any walls you happen to brush against than to the wheels them self, no matter how clean you think you have them.)

Here to help  ;)

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 05:29 PM »
Excellent advice bert, thank you  :bow:
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline Rabdul06

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 03:18 AM »

Quality thread - Im off to piss the wife off now and sort these Comps out..

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • I left it in the garden......
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 07:16 AM »
this thread does well in demonstrating that wife's and bmx are like oil and water. They just don't mix. I'm still suffering 6 weeks after wifey went into orbit after finding a set of very white peregrine masters in the dishwasher - The solicitor told me she was unreasonable as everything was shared after the fallout which made me feel a lot better.

But great thread, this is a dangerous game and well recorded.
When I was born, the world was a far simpler place.
It was all just cops and robbers.
And BMX.

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2013, 09:48 PM »
Excellent thread and nice work  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Tyre restoration for beginners........

gfxgfx
gfx gfx