gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 03:58 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Stuck stem
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Stuck stem  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
Stuck stem
« on: January 31, 2012, 09:22 AM »
Stem bolt is slowly turning but I'm thinking the shaft is well & truly rusted in to forks. Soaked in WD....... wot's the next best step folks? Heat?

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
Re: Stuck stem
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 09:46 AM »
Pop your bars back on and try and turn the bugger out. If the threads gone on the wedge so's it's not dropping down, after a couple of turns on the stem bolt, pop a piece of wood over it and give it a smack with a hammer - might make the wedge drop a bit :)
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 10:15 AM »
Yeah install your bars but flip over the bike (obviously with front wheel removed) then insert a long piece of metal into the base of the fork & hit it!

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 12:40 PM »
pour some coke~a~cola down there - it fizzes the rust away where the oil can't get between - this will loosen it so a bit of man up power can be used  ;)
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 01:07 PM »
 :daumenhoch:  Cheers fellas. Thats my nite sorted........ I was finally beat about 11 o clock last nite, felt like smashin the feckin' thing up!!!  :tickedoff:

Rodgy1970

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 01:47 PM »
I use red diesel on siezed parts, which usually works a treat and is cheap.

Put the long bolt back in, turn up side down and pour diesel down the stearer tube on the forks.

A bit of PTFE tape rapped round the bolt (just below the head) before you tighten it will keep the diesel in the tube for longer, it will seep out but the longer it's in the tube the better it works.

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 02:50 PM »
As the forks are in the frame, I think you'll struggle to get sufficient heat applied where you need it.

I have used the coke trick, and diesel, both worked well, having seen what coke does, I only now drink it watered down with scotch or vodka, however, I'll still do diesel neat!!

Once its soaked a good while, a sharp blow up the fork hole with a socket extension and metal hammer may `break' the weakened rusty bond.
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 11:02 PM »
Still stuck, soaked in more coke so I thought I'd strip another survivor......... stem came out no problemo but the feckin seat post is well and truly stuck in this one with about 1 1/2 inches showing............  Love it!!!!

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 07:09 AM »

Angela what feckin frame is it ? Is it actually worth all this effort ? Is it a burner ? If so find the lake. Have you hit it yet with the big hammer or you been using your Disney wand ? Please get some pics up

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 09:41 AM »
I really look forward to your comments Pete, you rad clown!!!!  :LolLolLolLol:   Pics to follow...... think these are gonna turn out a nice pair of  mini/juniors...................

paulski1966

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 06:13 PM »
Try PlusGas dismantling lubricant, its a proper penetrating oil and i find it works much better then WD40.

Offline Badbaldie

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 06:33 PM »
can u stick an old screw driver up the tube of the forks and knock the stem out from the bottom. so instead of pulling the stem out ,your knocking the stem out  :daumenhoch:

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 08:27 PM »
Yeah both feckers r out!!!!! Metal bar tapped snuggly down inside the seat post, whole thing tipped upside down and post clamped tight as feck in a quite large vice then 2 of us rotating and lifting the frame, easy!!!!

Stem eventually came out with a snug metal drift hammered from underneath the fork tube.   :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Stuck stem

gfxgfx
gfx gfx